Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
ukjoe

M.O.C. #9188
shocks

I want to install shocks on my mountaineer 5th wheel 34 ft
What frame do I have and what retro kit do I need to attach shocks
Any info will be appreciated
Thanks

ukjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I used a Dexter kit, pieces of angle plates supplied had to be welded to the I-beam at a 55-60 deg. angle, a friend did that and the install was pretty easy. I don`t have all the info you may need but go to the Dexter site and you will find the kit that is needed.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
You can purchase the parts from either morryde or dexter, parts cost about 250 and labor was about the same. If you have a belly pan you can save some labor by removing it first
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
coupe31
Established Member

M.O.C. #6994
I ASKED ABOUT SHOCKS WHEN I BOUGHT MY MONTANNA. I BOUGHT MY UNIT AT A SHOW AND THE FACTORY PEOPLE WERE THERE. THE SALES PEOPLE SAID THAT WITH THE MORRIDE SYSTEM THAT SHOCKS WERE NOT NECESSARY. I HAD SHOCKS ON MY SUNNYBROOK AND IT PULLED REAL WELL. I CAN'T SAY THAT I NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE BUT I STILL THINK THEY WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. IF MONTANNA FEELS THAT SHOCKS ARE NOT NEEDED THEN WHY DOES MORRIDE OFFER A KIT? THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP.
coupe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Just to add to Bob's repy; you can get an idea from:
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm
This site gives pics of the various kits available and the type of frame you may have plus what costs are implied. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Again, we have the Mor-Ryde suspension and I have completed extensive review inclusion of research on the expensive RVs. They have both the Mor-Ryde suspension and shocks. We are going to add shocks as soon as I have the time this fall as I am getting tired of the bounce over bridges,railway tracks, and humps in roads. Reminds me of the days when your shocks went out in the old car and truck and the back would not quit bouncing. All Mor-Ryde and Eze-Flex systems are pictured and detailed with shocks. Just an option on a new Monty that would drive the cost up and you don't notice these items when comparing RVs. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi ukjoe - I didn't actually see until recently when I was tightening down the U-bolts that my Monty has shocks, but it does! It makes sense because a rig this size needs some kind of dampening and the word was they were there. I am not impressed with just shocks because of the ride and they certainly didn't help with the suspension shackles that I had to replace.

I am only bringing this up so you don't put the shocks in place only to find you need something more substantial - like an Air or Rubber Equalizer System from Mor Ryde or Trail Air, or others. According to other member posts at least Mor-Ryde for one does not recommend shocks, therefore if you find you'll need an upgrade from the shocks you might have wasted some dollars. Granted the shocks are not near as expensive except if you pay for the labor and includes adding or welding brackets. Then if they don't solve your issue, it's back to the pocketbook.

Just something else to think about. Good luck with your suspension.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
If you look closely at what Morryde says, that Monroe did a test and "did not find any significent improvement", Well I got an improvement. Both ride and handling, I also went to a softer block at Morrydes suggestion. I now do not have dishes on floor, no breakage, and my wife is happy. If Carol is happy I AM REAL HAPPY, THANK YOU MORRYDE.
BOB
PS I see that Dexter has just added the complete kit for Keystone.

THANK
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote