Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
Fresh water full?

Is there a way, besides looking at unreliable sensor lites, to know when my fresh water tank is full while filling? I have a 353RL. My motor home had a vent right at the fill station that would burp when the tank was full. My fill station valve on the MHC says City Water full flow horizontal and fill vertical. The sensor seems to read 1/3 all the time. Of course I don't want a flood. Sorry but I can't upload a photo from my phone to this forum. Any help would be appreciated. Randy

Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Usually when the fresh water tanks are full there is an overflow that will run out to the ground somewhere underneath. Filling the tank until it overflows is really about the only way to know for sure that you are full! Good Luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Get a water meter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058..._t1_B0187BOFD6
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I fill mine until the overflow vent overflows. On mine, the fill port is in the wet bay in the front of the camper, the water tank is all the way to the back. On the side of the camper, in the rear, is a vent. It's not noticeable, but it's there. When the tank gets full, it spews over. Turn the water source off, and disconnect. It will stop spewing in a few seconds.

On mine, it's that brown bump out thing, that is just to the left and up of the red running light.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I agree with Jeff, you can also see water spewing out the overflow when going around corners to right When driving uphill.

Tom Marty
Old 09-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a water meter as suggested as well. Only problem is, unless you completely drain tank each time, you don't know how much to put in to fill it. Also, I learned that my tank isn't 66 gallons. 12 gallons of that is the water heater and then some more is accounted for in the pex lines. I can only put about 48 gallons in before overflow.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I take the cap off the overflow and then wait till I see water coming out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I fill mine until the overflow vent overflows. On mine, the fill port is in the wet bay in the front of the camper, the water tank is all the way to the back. On the side of the camper, in the rear, is a vent. It's not noticeable, but it's there. When the tank gets full, it spews over. Turn the water source off, and disconnect. It will stop spewing in a few seconds.

On mine, it's that brown bump out thing, that is just to the left and up of the red running light.

Haha! Often wondered what that thing was. Just another thing the dealer didn't tell me during walk thru. I've learned more from you folks than they ever thought to teach me. About the only thing they're go at is collecting money. Thanks again. Hope I'm on the giving end of this some day soon.
Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

BTW, that overflow cover is removable. Just pull straight up, it will come off. There is a screen in there that will come out easily.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I have a water meter as suggested as well. Only problem is, unless you completely drain tank each time, you don't know how much to put in to fill it. Also, I learned that my tank isn't 66 gallons. 12 gallons of that is the water heater and then some more is accounted for in the pex lines. I can only put about 48 gallons in before overflow.
Well that is interesting! I’m supposed to have a 62 gallon tank. I just received my water meter so I’ll have to check that out. I have a 12 gallon water heater as well. 🤔
Old 09-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
BTW, that overflow cover is removable. Just pull straight up, it will come off.
Ours is molded on and does not come off.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
Ours is molded on and does not come off.
Mine is a 2018 model. Is yours an older model? I was under the impression that all the monty’s used this same overflow cover. Anyway, mine comes off and can gravity fill using a funnel and hose/tube to sanitize or add antifreeze.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #13
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Mine is a 2018 model. Is yours an older model? I was under the impression that all the monty’s used this same overflow cover. Anyway, mine comes off and can gravity fill using a funnel and hose/tube to sanitize or add antifreeze.
We ran the back end into something or something jumped out and ran into the back end. The replacement part included the side panel with the overflow bit. We were surprised that it no longer came off. Thought we might have problems but so far none have occurred.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I do what Dick does^^^^^^^^
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Water meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I have two of these, one for the fresh water and the other is for rinsing out the black tank. I try to stay at 75% of the tank's specs sheet. I don't trust the specs due to an obvious error I see with mine.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote