Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #61
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Sailun 85’s for 4 years, No rubbing and compared to the original Westlakes, the Sailuns are great!. I am looking at my tires right now and I have no space issues. The extra 1/2” in net height is not an issue.

Putting a safer tire on my rig in my opinion just makes sense. Kind of like the disc brake upgrade I just completed. The real question is why don’t the mfg’s do it.

And regarding trailer height, I would be more concerned with the taller bed heights in the newer model trucks. Adding 4-5 inched to the hitch height not only changes the way the trailer sits on the wheels, it adds to the overall height for clearance.

Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #62
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
Sailun 85’s for 4 years, No rubbing and compared to the original Westlakes, the Sailuns are great!. I am looking at my tires right now and I have no space issues. The extra 1/2” in net height is not an issue.

Putting a safer tire on my rig in my opinion just makes sense. Kind of like the disc brake upgrade I just completed. The real question is why don’t the mfg’s do it.

And regarding trailer height, I would be more concerned with the taller bed heights in the newer model trucks. Adding 4-5 inched to the hitch height not only changes the way the trailer sits on the wheels, it adds to the overall height for clearance.

Two sets of 85's and all most 50000 miles NO rub, not even close.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #63
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post

Two sets of 85's and all most 50000 miles NO rub, not even close.

Nary a problem with our HC in 28K miles with 85s. Less then 1/2" on the radius and both the 80 and 85 series tires have a 9.3" section width. So, where does a rub come into play?

Of course that will be trolled by a tire 'expert'
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #64
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
85's and some DS rubbing, not a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	7196  
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #65
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post

OMG! YOU CAN’T DO THAT! Anything other than what the sticker says will upset the whole balance of the Earth! Great. Now we will all be facing the Apocalypse. Thanks a lot. (Sarcasm)
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #66
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
OMG! YOU CAN’T DO THAT! Anything other than what the sticker says will upset the whole balance of the Earth! Great. Now we will all be facing the Apocalypse. Thanks a lot. (Sarcasm)
In my opinion, when a consumer blatantly defies expert information, they are setting themselves as a more competent expert. As such, they should provide references to their expertise.

Just a muse, what do you think?
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #67
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
85's and some DS rubbing, not a big deal.
Same here just some slight rubbing with the Sailun 85's, same spot as yours on one tire. I agree not a big deal .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #68
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Nary a problem with our HC in 28K miles with 85s. Less then 1/2" on the radius and both the 80 and 85 series tires have a 9.3" section width. So, where does a rub come into play?

Of course that will be trolled by a tire 'expert'
You see the picture above ,hopefully that explains any of your doubts . I replied above ,I have the same rub spot as the picture. A friend ,and neighbor with a Montana, with Sailun 85's has one tire rubbing slightly same as the picture ,and the same as mine.

The tires are 1" taller ,you gain 1/2" everywhere, you are 1/2" closer to the plastic wheel well moldings , you hit a bump the tire come ups, and closes that gap on the curve of the molding , pretty simple to figure out . Makes no difference on section width ,unless they were wider ,and rubbed on the inside . But they are rubbing when hitting a bump its obvious. Some do ,some don't . I know of three that do . You are apparently one that doesn't .

Not a tire expert ,nor a troll, but you needed to get set straight.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #69
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
In general, Keystone RV trailer axles are spaced to provide safe operation of the original equipment tires and any vehicle manufacturer optional sizes.

That spacing provides safety clearances between tires and in the wheelwell.

When the trailer becomes the property of a consumer, that consumer becomes' its safety expert.

The primary overseer of vehicle safety will be the state or province where the vehicle is operated.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #70
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
In my opinion, when a consumer blatantly defies expert information, they are setting themselves as a more competent expert. As such, they should provide references to their expertise.

Just a muse, what do you think?

I think putting on 85's ,and a higher weight rating is a good thing. As long as the wheels handle 110 psi. What do you say.

I have no expertise ,but why don't you let us know the issue with 85's over 80's forget what the placard says, what are the issues . Tire failure ,axle failure ,brake failure, wheel failure etc etc etc . Will I be arrested ?, we need to know.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #71
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I think putting on 85's ,and a higher weight rating is a good thing. As long as the wheels handle 110 psi. What do you say.

I have no expertise ,but why don't you let us know the issue with 85's over 80's forget what the placard says, what are the issues . Tire failure ,axle failure ,brake failure, wheel failure etc etc etc . Will I be arrested ?, we need to know.
The 85 is wider and taller than the 80. Will the us of the larger tires get vehicle manufacturer approval? your owner's manual suggests you ask them.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #72
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Took off the OEM 235/80x16 tires a few months after purchase and replaced with 235/85x16 24 ply... it raised overall height 1/2 inch which is not a factor at all...and hasn’t been for the last 7 years...

The increased load capacity from 235/80 tp /85 series is a smart and wise move... there are no suspension clearance issues on my fifth wheel and could care less what the sticker outs8de says.. never read it nor will I...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #73
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Took off the OEM 235/80x16 tires a few months after purchase and replaced with 235/85x16 24 ply... it raised overall height 1/2 inch which is not a factor at all...and hasn’t been for the last 7 years...

The increased load capacity from 235/80 tp /85 series is a smart and wise move... there are no suspension clearance issues on my fifth wheel and could care less what the sticker outs8de says.. never read it nor will I...
Well, you don't have to read the placard. When you went with the 85s it invalidated the placard.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #74
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Well, you don't have to read the placard. When you went with the 85s it invalidated the placard.
You are totally missing the point here, as said lets forget the placard , thats a CYA for the manufacturer . If they really cared about the issues with their tires to begin with ,we wouldn't be having this conversation ,so why even bother bringing up the placard .

Lets get back to the question ,what is the issue that you have with replacing the 80's with 85's, I see none unless there is a clearance problem. There are two advantages that I know of, it raises the fifth wheel to help a little with leveling . With today's trucks they just keep getting higher. But most importantly they increase weight rating provided as said the wheels are rated for 110 psi.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #75
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have no Horse in this race, but I remember a long time ago that a Tire Dealer could not put a lesser tire on than what was dictated by the vehicle tire placard. So as long as the replacement tire was equal to or better everything was fine.
If putting larger or better tires on a vehicle is wrong then half of the vehicles on the road are illegal because they're running over sized or better grade of tire.
Thinking that putting on a BETTER tire is wrong just doesn't make any sense to me.
Enough said!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #76
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have no Horse in this race, but I remember a long time ago that a Tire Dealer could not put a lesser tire on than what was dictated by the vehicle tire placard. So as long as the replacement tire was equal to or better everything was fine.
If putting larger or better tires on a vehicle is wrong then half of the vehicles on the road are illegal because they're running over sized or better grade of tire.
Thinking that putting on a BETTER tire is wrong just doesn't make any sense to me.
Enough said!

If only it were that easy ,as enough said. But yes I agree .
Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #77
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Enough said!
Who said the 85 series was a better tire except subjectively. It's just a different tire. Would it not be up to the mfr or regulatory authority to say it was actually better the OEM spec? just throwing gasoline on this fire

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #78
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
just put 85,s on wrote over the placard in black marker works great. lol
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #79
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
This is always beaten to death. Mostly that’s because those that argue for the use of the plus sized tire over the certified tire are oblivious of safety regulations and industry standards.

The Federal vehicle certification label affixed on every vehicle built under the guidance of FMVSS (standards) is mandatory. The information on it are minimums.

The key word in the selection process for OE tires is Designated Size. Vehicle manufacturers have the sole responsibility in the selection, fitment and setting recommended cold inflation pressures that are appropriate for those fitments.

Tire size designations are not interchangeable unless they are approved, recommended or offered as options by the vehicle manufacturer.

Size designation systems presently in use:

• P-Metric
• Metric (a.k.a. Euro-Metric)*
• LT-Metric
• LT High Flotation
• LT Numeric
• European Commercial Metric (C-Type)*
• ST Special Tire for Trailers
• T-Type Temporary Spare

Size designations usually include letters which have the following meanings:

• P = P-Metric (Passenger)
• LT = Light Truck
• C = European Commercial (Light Duty)
• ST = Special Tire for Trailers
• T = Temporary Spare
• R = Radial Construction
• F = Self-Supporting, Runflat
• D = Diagonal (Bias) Construction
• B = Belted Bias Construction

ST235/80R16 is a designated size
ST235/85R16 is a designated size
LT235/85R16 is a designated size
Old 09-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #80
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Thanks CalandLinda for the information. It is good to know about the legalities. At least we can't say we didn't know. Much like overloading 3/4 ton trucks with our Montys. We all live with life decisions we make.