Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
meg38

M.O.C. #25181
Southwestern NH to Myrtle Beach SC

So, I had our trip to the keys all plotted out & then they call to cancel. Its been pushed forward till next June. So I since have booked a trip to Myrtle beach this June. I'm looking for suggestions for the best route down. My biggest anxiety is New York. I have an RV GPS but I still worry one wrong turn & trouble. Looks like my GPS wants me to take I-95 most of the way to Myrtle Beach. Any suggestions would be great. Also if I have to take 95 how is the condition of the highway? Its been a few years since I've been on it. I'll be towing a 35ft Montana 3121. Thanks!!

meg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
CFDFireman90
Established Member

M.O.C. #24965
Anytime I travel to the south I take the Mass Turnpike to I84 into NY. I684 to the Tapanzee Bridge then I78 to I81 down through Pennsylvania. That is how I avoid NY City. Once on 81 in PA the rest is easy to figure out depending on where you want to end up.
CFDFireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I agree go the Tapan Zee bridge. When I was in the service. I made that trip once per month at a minimum. Even a car it was hairy over the GW bridge. Also avoid Baltamore at any costs. 95 tunnels are not propane friendly. The inner and outer beltways are a mess no matter what you drive. I made the mistake of missing the turn off once. I skated by. But I could just imagine the fine and legal troubles. I just got lucky. The Chesapeake bay bridge is a beautiful drive over and under the water. But Propane has to be off. Unlike Baltamore were it is not allowed at all.
Stay west and 81 is still interstate but more trucks since it is a preferred route for them. When you are towing just relax and enjoy the ride.

It may be a little longer. But the headaches and being mirror to mirror and people cutting you off right and left on the GWB is not worth it.

Never mind accelerating to 30mph and slamming on the brakes when the idiot cuts you off from your safe following distance. I have had brake smoke before from being cut off repeatedly. Never again over the GWB I95 unless it is between the hours of 11pm and 5am. But if you want to see carcasses of cars on the cross Bronx expressway. There is nothing but burnt out cars along the way.
Not to mention that the Turnpike authority has complete control of the roadway. So you can not call a private tow or service. You do have to pay a toll but it is on the north bound side and Expect $$. When heading south at least back in the day there.
Until you hit NJ toll booths. So they NY, hit you on the return trip for tolls not on your way south.

Expect about 22 bucks per axle. So a dually is charged for two axles on the rear so 5 axles. So 55 bucks each way if you divide by two. Also expect a huge toll at the delaware bridge. That was unexpected for me.
Neither the upper deck or the lower deck is pleasurable by any means unless after midnight and you want to see the city lights Upper Deck. I use to travel after 10pm and it was a 5 1/2 hr trip from south Jersey to northern MA.