Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Sewer Solution

Has any one used this device? If so what do you think about it?

waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rex-- What device are you talking about? No picture or website for "the device"??!!??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Here ya go: http://www.sewersolution.com/index.htm
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have one and I like it. No leaks, no fuss, no worrying about running down hill. We also have a regular hose that we keep for dumping at places other than our site (and this is rare).

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Does it really grind it all up, even the big ones? Not trying to be rude just need to know. Would hate to get it jammed up and have to take it apart! Does it take a shorter time to get it done versus the regular hose setup?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
We have one that we use at home if we need to dump there. Run hose to floor drain and dump, works great.
Robb

2007 3400RL Montana
1999 Volvo 610 pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahh - the old "jet-dump" design. We used to use this design on our fire tankers to reduce the tank dump time to 1/10 of the time using gravity to drain. The pressurized water stream flowing in the direction of the drain creates a venturi affect that actually develops suction upstream of the connection as a counter response to the flow velocity downstream of the connection.

I have never seen it used in this application, but it seems like a good idea. Note: it does not mechanically "grind" like a macerator pump, but probably does cause breakup of the solids after it shoots them down the line at 10 times the speed - .

The only thing I don't see is a backflow preventer that would keep bacteria from entering the potable side when you shut it down.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Brad is right about shooting the water and waste down the hose. I have seen the stream of injected water reduce just flushed TP and solids to the size needed to go through the hose.

Brad, it does come with a back-flow preventer.

Our set up is as follows:

Goodyear water Tee with shut off valves. On one outflow end is a pressure regulator; on the other end, and also on te pressure regulator is a quick-disconnect (brass). The white (drinking hose) goes to the rear of our 5er where another quick-disconnect lives. The gray hose goes to another Goodyear Tee all with quick-disconnects. One end goes into yet another quick-disconnect into the black tank flusher and on the other end of the Tee I use a green hose that connects to the Sewer Solution (at the back-flow preventer).

With all of these quick-disconnects, set up and tear down is a breeze, and the different colored hoses helps to remind my DW which hose goes where (if she ever had to due to my inability for some reason).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Michael - I figured it must, but couldn't see it.

Seems like a neat product to me. I'm inclined to look at one just for normal camping use. More often than I like to admit I run short of hose or it's uphill. This might reduce that problem.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Brad,

Here is the main reason I chose the SS: we were in an RV park that had severe county regulations regarding sewer connections. As a result, the sewer inlet to the park's sewer system was actually UPHILL! While "burping" our traditional sewer hose, the coupler slipped out and you can guess the result...

Added advantages include that I can store 30' (that's thirty feet) in our OEM compartment; the slip fittings seem very tight (to join sections of hose and the outlet coupler); I've never had a leak with the SS; and I don't have to clean the traditional sewer hose when tearing down camp.

On our unit, the downside is that I have to stoop under the kitchen slide to open or close the valve that allows water into the main unit. The other downside is that I find that I have to back-flush a little longer as the volume of water that can leave our unit at one time is severely limited: I cannot get the "suction" effect of using a traditional hose that is 3" in diameter as opposed to about 1" with the SS.

Overall, I am a fan of the SS. The advantages, for me, clearly outweigh the disadvantage as stated above.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Here is a link to the Venturi Pump I made that works the same as a Sewer Solution.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...sewr_pump.html

I like the hose that comes with the "real" Sewer Solution better. In the future I may upgrade to the Sewer Solution or see if I can find a similar outlet hose.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Nicely done, Lamar.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Here is another
http://cabotumc.dns2go.com/ss/sewer.htm
Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for the additional info Michael, and the total picture. So many times only the advantages get posted and the disadvantages get left out.

Nice job as well Lamar. Do you guys ever have a problem with available water pressure being to low to make the venturi operate?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Brad - it will work with water pump pressure.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Thanks, Michael.

Brad,
As Michael says, it doesn't take a lot of pressure. I am amazed at how quickly it will "pump" the tanks dry. I have added a black tank flusher to my coach since it didn't originally come with one, but before I did this I could shut off the outlet of the sewer pump and back water into the black tank for rinsing. I still do this on the gray and galley tanks.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have used Sewer Solution for almost 4 years now. I think it is a great solution to the black water tank. When mine broke off at the discharge nozzle, the manufacturer replaced the entire "pump" head after I described the break. He said it was a design flaw in an earlier model that has been corrected. By-the-way, the break did not occur while dumping, rather while moving the hose around. On a side note, the new pump head empties the tanks quicker than the old one for what ever reason.

Snfexpress, the water for the jet does not come from the coach water tank, but from an outside source. If you are boondocking and using your fresh water tank, you would not be dumping until you are at a dump site which should have a water source. To dump, you use a "Y" connector on the dump site water supply, to run one hose to the Sewer Solution and another hose to the black tank wash on the RV.

When I do a full hookup, I use a four outlet manifold to which I connect the hose for the water supply, the tank wash hose, the Sewer Solution hose and have one left for any purpose I need. I also have anti-siphoning valve on the two hoses to the wash and Sewer Solution.

This may sound complicated, but it is not. It is made up in advance and I just spin it on to the CG water source. I would take a picture, but it is bundled up against freezing nights just now.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, Stiles. I do not use our onboard water for the SS; just trying to explain that the pressure from an RV water pump is sufficient to make the system work as designed. I, like you, prefer to use the SS over a regular sewer hose.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
What about the clean dump sold at CW it looks like a nice system. I am thinking about purchasing just don't know a lot about them.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As I stated above, I have used the Sewer Solution for four years. It does not need an electrical pump. The water jet breaks up all solids. I haven't had a clogged system on either of the two Montanas I have owned. The fact that Sewer Solution is almost $300 cheaper than the Clean Dump makes it more attractive to me.

Both systems are far superior to the 3" sewer hose in my opinion. Both systems are less likely to end up in a spill and are easier to handle. With either system, the key to clean tanks will be how well you wash. Neither of them are going to crawl up the pipe and clean the tank for you. They will only handle what makes it to the discharge nozzle.

It is too bad you can't have a side-by-side, unbiased, comparison to determine which is the better system. I know Sewer Solution works to my complete satisfaction.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote