Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #21
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Steve,

Read here...great site for your truck if you are not a member and haven't been over there...but they are discussing your issue now...

Heck, I own a V-10 and I "partake" daily!

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=1#Post2164153

Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:20 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gruffy, thanks.I'll check it out. I am a member but rarely have time to go there. Will do so.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gruffy, thanks for the tip to check TheDieselStop. With information from there I found it. I found a post saying it's above the starter, which significantly limited the search area.

If anyone else is looking for the block heater on the '05 6.0PSD, crank the wheels all the say to the left, crawl up into the wheel well on the right front, shine a light through the opening in the wheel well liner. You'll see it there with two male prongs. It's easy to see now that I know where to look. I still have to buy the cord. The dealer wants $57 and tax for it, which is the same price someone on TheDieselStop was quoted.

Thanks again. This week I'll go get the cord.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #24
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Yeah, Steve!! You go!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #25
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve: I sure learn a lot watching your posts on all those "unusual" questions and problems you encounter.

A short add-on, primarily for the Cummings/Dodge users..We used the block heater last year a few times in cold weather and noted that it (1.) Allowed the mainfold heaters to do a "short cycle" instead of a long cycle before the "Wait to Start" light went out and (2.) gave much smoother initial operation and a very short warm up time for defrost or heater use and (3.) most important..kept the zero oil pressure time WAY down.

I have to believe that use below 32F will really help in both the short and long term... especially when you consider the zero oil pressure situation and the long cycle, double duty for the mainifold heaters. In less "geeky" terms, in really cold weather, it is nice to know it will start easily the first time, and get warm quick when it is really important for it to do so.

JMHO,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:34 AM   #26
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -

This post and the other one caused me to dig out the cord on my Silverado (which I also didn't know it even had). One thing I found surprising is that Glenn didn't stop in to quote the temperature in Florida. Glen, hope you're out there and snug and warm.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:49 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, I agree with you it's a great thing to have in cold weather. My goal is to someday never be in that kind of weather but until we can coerce the kids to move....

Ron, glad you found yours. On our '03 it was also tie-wrapped up in a place hard to see but at least the cord was there. On this one I have to buy the cord just because I bought in a state Ford decided wouldn't need the heater. I think I will email a complaint about that. Maybe if enough people complain they'll change that next time.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #28
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

I have an '03 Ford 250 with the 7.3 PSD. Over Christmas I mentioned to my father-in-law that during a recent cold spell the truck was really slow to turn over. My father-in-law says, "Why don't you use the block heater?" Boy did I feel stupid. I've had this truck since 2002 and had no idea it had a block heater. We went outside with a flash light and the cord was right beside the driver side fog lamp. Now that I think back, we haven't really had a cold winter here above Atlanta for a couple of years, so I haven't needed a block heater until now. Well, th-thats my story and I'm stickin' to it...
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #29
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Steve, I went on the GMC website to spec a new truck and the block heater cord is now a $35 option. Kinda rediculous to me but then again in many applications a spare tire is an option.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:22 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess they figure not everyone will want/need the heater and cord. It's probably cheaper to install the heater in all of them and just leave out the cord. I emailed Ford about this, asking why I didn't get a cord. They called me but we were on the road and didn't hear the call. I have a message to call them and will do so when we arrive in Savannah. Monday we'll be on the road again so won't try to call then.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #31
Montana_2914

M.O.C. #2914
Folks: I have a 2000F250 with the 7.3diesel. the block heater for mine is located just above the oil filter. the ford mechanic showed me a 2004 diesel and it was there also. it is just a simple heating element that goes into the water inside of the engine block. it has an orange cord coming from it that leads to the front grill. there should be a plug cover on the end of the cord. jack
Montana_2914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jackswing, our '05 has the place on the block above the starter to plug in the cord but there's no cord there. I'll have to break down and buy the cord before next winter. Looks like it plugs in and there must be a nut that then threads to the block fitting as I see threads there.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #33
Theadamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #1793
All this talk of engine block heaters got my interest peaked so I went on a quest to find mine. I purchased my F350 last year (used from dealer) and was told it had an engine block heater. I made a cursory search at the time of purchase but never found it. I keep the truck in the garage and drive it about once a week so no real need for the heater. Well.....my quest was fruitful though I had to check the owners manual first and then poke around unit I finally found it. It was located behind the driver's side fog lamp accessable through a small opening beside the lamp. At least I know where it is now.
Theadamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting, Theadamsfamily. Your 2002's is on the drivers side by the fog light. Our 2003's was on the passenger side by the fog light. As you said, it was well hidden. I missed it the first few times I looked and found it only when I crawled under. I then cut that tie and let it hang out next to the fog lamp.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #35
Montana_2930

M.O.C. #2930
Steve, There are several threads on the web site www.thedieselstop.com, this site is dedicated to Ford diesel pick ups. I have an 04 with the 6.0, live and bought it in VA, the cord was nylon zip tied to the passenger side grill support, hard to get and find, once I clipped the zip tie, I was able to pull the cord down by the fog lights.
I can't imagine a service writer not knowing about this, maybe he used to work at Walmart Good luck and happy hunting
Montana_2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, cv67cheng, but they changed things with the '05. Our '03 6.0 had it behind the grill like your '04 but for '05 they don't put in the cord unless you buy in certain designated states or you pay extra in the other states. Sure wish they hadn't done that but they did. I can see the heater connection point on the block above the starter. But no cord. Thanks for the tip anyhow.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:56 AM   #37
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Was at a Ford dealer last night getting ready to order a '05' Super Duty and they said the engine block heater is a option for $35. It is not standard equipment.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #38
Montana_2296
Established Member

M.O.C. #2296
I looked and looked but could not find the cord. I see the heater above the oil filter but the cord still alludes me. Oh well, in Southern California I guess I really do not need it!
Montana_2296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DCP, in reality, the cord is what you pay for when you get that option. The block heater is in all the .05 6.0's. I didn't pay for it, it's not listed on the standard or options on the sticker for ours, but the heater is there. Here's a link from Dieselmann's page where he lists all the tech bulletins from Ford.

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

Better yet, here's the quote from that page:

2005 Block Heater Option:
All 2005 F-Series and Excursions with the 6.0 PowerStroke have a block heater installed on the engine. However, the cord for the block heater must be ordered as an option (code 41H). The cord is installed on vehicles originally sold in the following states: Alaska, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Missori, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming. Broadcast Message 1512, 3090.

When we bought this one we were parked in Missouri but bought in Kansas.

By the way, go with the $35 option if you're buying. Ford wants $57 for the cord over the parts counter.

Here's a picture of the block heater connector in our Ford. Sorry it's fuzzy, I just reached in there with the camera and snapped it.