Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2023, 06:46 AM   #1
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
Internet - Verizon 5G Home

We just received the new Verizon 5G Home modem/router. It is quite a bargain. The hardware is free. Since we have an existing qualified Verizon cell plan, our monthly fee is $25, which is half off (with autopay). The price is locked in for 2 years. They will also pay up to $500 to get out of any contracts.

The service is for unlimited data. I believe the data traffic is prioritized behind the 5G cell phone connections. I did a speed test this morning around 5am (no competing internet traffic) and got around 100Mbs down. During the day it's closer to 40Mbs. Uploads are quite good at around 20Mbs.

It's a fairly large cube - 6"x6"x6" with two ethernet ports. It lacks an external antenna port. It's compatible with 5G and downward compatible with 4G LTE. It's also not GEO locked to a location. We are full time travelers, so having the location unlocked is critical.

Setup and Managing the service is done through the same My Verizon app the cell phones use. The box is managed via the internet. Initial connection and setup is performed via wifi. There is an easy to use QR code on the bottom of the box to really simplify the process.

The service has a 30 day trial period with free returns. I plan to reduce my cell plan by removing all the hotspot data I'm paying extra for, so the $25 a month will wash.

Free is a great price.

Verizon 5G Home Internet: https://www.verizon.com/5g/home/

Fulltimer Domicile: Florida SKP Resort, Wauchula, Florida
2016 Montana 3611 RL Legacy - 2000w Solar, Victron whole house power, 1200ah Chins LiFePO4, RV Armor roof, Verizon 5G Home Internet
Jay Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
All sounds good, but the doubting Thomas in me is questioning the unlimited part, especially in rural areas. Sure its unlimited but is it throttled after a certain amount. We have a Data plan that is truly unthrottled until we hit our data cap at 800Gb/month. Only once in 3 years have we hit this limit and had to rely on our cell phone hotspots for 2 days. Its not Indy 500 speedy fast like you are getting, but for our streaming needs and mostly 4G needs it serves us well. Will we need 5G at some point? Maybe. We are investigating these types of plans and so far the jury is still out. Good luck with your choice. We await a future update as to its performance and your overall satisfaction once you have kicked the tires to get the full experience with it.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:33 AM   #3
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
No throttling. It does have traffic management.
It may not be available in your area

2016 Montana 3611 RL Legacy - 2000w Solar, Victron whole house power, 1200ah Chins LiFePO4, RV Armor roof, Verizon 5G Home Internet
Old 04-27-2023, 12:26 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm happy with Visible. I don't have to be home to use it either. And yes, it REALLY is 100% unlimited data with no throttling.

But thanks for sharing. Things that work and work well need to be shared with everyone!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:11 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Our download speed with 4G in the middle of the day is 65. I just checked it. We have one of the boxes you mentioned. We get 700 gigs per month. I don’t know the exact cost I think it’s about $50. We can’t get 5G.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #6
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
who is your provider and what carrier are you using?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
who is your provider and what carrier are you using?

I guess you are asking me since I forgot to add that information. We have a Verizon business plan.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:46 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I deep sixed our Spectrum last fall when we went south due to a conflict with Spectrum. While on the road we used Visible with very few issues and were happy with it. Used it for streaming.
When we returned home this spring, I intended to continue with Visible however at our location the download speed often fell below 1mbps. I really didn't want to go back to Spectrum, then I saw the Verizon box. We have been using that for two months now and it is generally pretty good. Usually get between 25 and 60 download. However, in the evening it seems to drop out sometimes causing the streaming to spool. very annoying.
Also, they told me to use it at a different location I had to call them and check availability. The funny thing is where I live in northern NY rural area it is available, but at our two southern locations it is not available even though they are both near urban centers with strong cell service. Go figure.
I hate to return to cable but I may have to.
Also ours is $45 / month because we're Visible, not Verizon.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:21 AM   #9
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
Our winter RV Park address in Wauchula, Florida qualified us as a qualified location for the Verizon 5G Home Internet. We have been waiting for over a year for the location to qualify.

I got the notice that we were good to go a month ago, after we had left, and were in Orlando. I went to the local Verizon franchise store and picked it up. $0.

We have since used it in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and now North Carolina. It's definitely not GEO locked (location). I have never notified them.

It does not require 5G. We are currently in a location that is 4G.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:26 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Tks for the update. I will just take it south with us this fall and see if it works. If not I still have Visible.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote