Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I wouldn’t go to a quick change business. They have a million dollar building, lights, heat, insurance, oil and filters to buy people to pay and many other expenses and they are going to make money on cheap oil changes. Oh sure!
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #22
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Cheap is relative. Just got the oil change done last week along with the front and rear differentials and the transfer case fluid at my very trusted Chevy dealer. Was only just under $600, and that included tire rotation too.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We used a quick place on our car one time. We got in to drive away, and the oil light came on. We immediately turned it off and got out. They had forgot to add oil back in!!!! Never gave us money back or much about sorry.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #24
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
We used a quick place on our car one time. We got in to drive away, and the oil light came on. We immediately turned it off and got out. They had forgot to add oil back in!!!! Never gave us money back or much about sorry.
What a nightmare.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:06 PM   #25
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
You guys on the MOC that covet getting your oil changed at the dealership realize that the dealer is not going to pay their high dollar line mechanics to change oil. You're probably getting the next guy up from the guy that washes cars in the afternoons. At least that's how it plays out in the Wichita area. Small town dealerships mileage may vary here however.
At my dealership, I got 10 years free oil changes when I purchased my truck. I usually get 2 or 3 a year regardless of mileage. The oil change is done only by their diesel tech.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #26
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Shazam ... You must roll on the miles for your truck to need an oil change 2-3 times a year. Like I mentioned earlier, some people's experiences may vary. Just curious, are you going by eyes on at your dealership or what your service manager is telling you?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #27
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Oil Quality

OK guys, you talk about using a very high-quality oil in your truck. I have a 2017 Ford diesel and I am wondering which oil would you recommend I use?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:45 PM   #28
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
I am a retired veterinarian and one of my clients who became a good friend ran the fuel testing lab at Southwest Research here in San Antonio. For those of you who don't know, they do everything from tire testing to testing for things that go on the space shuttle. My friend was there for 35 years and he has told me that Royal Purple was by far the best oil they ever tested. Told me after 200K miles on some engines they looked like new. Personally, I have my dealer do complete oil changes at 10K and new filter and top off at 5K in between. I don't trust the on board computer to tell me when to change the oil. Just my $.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Almost any engine will out last the vehicle no matter what oil you use. Royal Purple might be the best but any good oil will work. Synthetic is better than regular oil it’s all I use but do you need it? I doubt it but you are protecting a very expensive engine and a few extra bucks don’t make much difference.
Lynwood
Old 12-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #30
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I used Rotella T4 in my old 2000 7.3 Ford for over 180,000 mi with no issue. I use Motorcraft 10-40 diesel oil currently in my 2017 6.7 diesel. I'm thinking in today's world if you stick with major known brands you can't go wrong as long as they meet your manufacturer specs.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c heat pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeis48 View Post
OK guys, you talk about using a very high-quality oil in your truck. I have a 2017 Ford diesel and I am wondering which oil would you recommend I use?
Oh god someone had to ask this thread is about to turn into a monkey.
But T6 IS the only oil to use.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #32
SuperDuty2
Established Member

M.O.C. #9742
Oil changes

I am with Carl and Susan. I prefer the dealership where if anything goes wrong they will back it up with my receipt. I take my high performance cars there as well since I often don't have time to drive up on ramps. My local Ford dealer has fellas and that's all they do is change oil or wash cars. They are busy all day long. I like making sure they have the correct filter and I like the Motorcraft brand oil. Very hard to find 5 w 50 full synthetic in some places for my cars. As for the truck I have an 08 and its running great with Motorcraft full synthetic.
At any rate they once found the drain plug was rounded and might have been done by me, and simply replaced it. I also like they use a new copper gasket every time I bring it in as well. I also build up points for oil changes, tires or any repairs and I use that for oil changes as well, anywhere I travel at a dealer.. The service advisor, when I bring it in locally, knows I have expensive tastes and always drives my vehicles around back. They don't put the stickers on the windshield but rather, hands them to me with the receipt so I can either do that, which I don't or put it in my glove box which I do..
SuperDuty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #33
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Shazam ... You must roll on the miles for your truck to need an oil change 2-3 times a year. Like I mentioned earlier, some people's experiences may vary. Just curious, are you going by eyes on at your dealership or what your service manager is telling you?
Actually, I’ve got about 70,000 miles on the truck. It’s a 2016 Super Duty. I get 2 a year regardless and maybe a 3rd depending on how long of a trip I take. As far as the diesel tech doing the oil changes, it’s by appointment only and I generally watch.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #34
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
When we were in Arizona for the winter I once went to WalMart for an oil change and they used Rotella. At home I use the dealership where we bought the vehicle from. They check other things and suggest what I need. Most of the time I try and do their suggested service myself and save a lot of money due to their high shop rate.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I drive a Ford but GM says you are wasting your money if you charge oil more than the manufacturers recommend. They would certainly know more than anyone could.
Lynwood
Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #36
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
I know a lot of you people are going to hate this but I change my oil at Walmart. It cost me about $69 for my GMC diesel.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #37
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
I know a lot of you people are going to hate this but I change my oil at Walmart. It cost me about $69 for my GMC diesel.
No hate here.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #38
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I totally get the "dealership service loyalist" point that you have a dealership's service records to back you up should any issue with your truck occur. My personal negativity over the dealer service issue is a taste in my mouth I just can't spit out. bigred's mentioning of "they check other things and suggest what I need" sums it all up. My son and a long time friend since high school have both worked for years at different dealerships. They both have enjoyed their paychecks over the years, but have mentioned more than once about how hard it is sometimes to see people taken in by the service manager's speal about all that needs attention to their vehicle. It appears that it was a miracle in itself that their vehicle was able to make it under its own power to get to the service stall for that oil change. Yes I know some of you are so close to your dealer mechanic that you have them over for Thanksgiving Dinner, but in today's world the naïve owner is at the mercy of legions of service managers wanting or pushed to make that extra buck.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #39
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I have used Rotella 15w40 T6 for years in my trucks. When I was working, I had a boss that liked the quick-change oil place down the road for some reason, most likely cheap. So I had to use them. I had to take the company van in for service at the dealership and had them change the oil because it was due. Well, that cost an oil pan $800 because the quick-change tech stripped the oil pan threads out and they wouldn't stand by their work even with receipts. I never trusted those places anyways.
By the way, Rotella is releasing a 10w30 T6 this month.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:44 AM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
It takes me less than 5 mins to change my oil and filter. Don`t even need to jack up the truck. No mess with the right products from Auto Zone. 20 qt. enclosed oil drain pan, filter wrench, extra large sandwich bag for filter large, done. Drop off the used fluids at any auto/oil change store the next time your out and about. I think they`re more worried about the guy that wants to do 4 wheel brake job with beer and friends making noise,

I have changed my own oil in my vehicles nearly my entire adult live . I have never made it into a contest on how fast I can change my oil ,and filter , but I know for a fact no matter how fast I wanted to do it 5 minutes is impossible for "ME" to do it . I am just guessing ,but for my truck requiring 12 quarts , its going to take that 5 minutes just to open the 3 jugs ,and poor them in , possibly a little less , but I wouldn't think much .

What you should do is YouTube doing your oil, and filter . I sure would watch it. Or was that less then 5 minutes a typo
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote