Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Roadtravelers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19116
site as income?

We are finishing up our first time Workamping and we have received our 1099. It shows our site as Income plus the extra the park is allowing us. Is it normal for the site to be claimed as Income for taxes? We are in Alabama.

TIA

Roadtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Anytime you receive compensation whether it’s money or something else that has value the person or business you got it from must send you a 1099. It’s the law. Some may not but they are supposed to.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
A bit about my past (I'll divulge a little here). I was a pastor in a main-line evangelical Christian church for over 20 years. I worked in 4 different churches over that time period. I'm not doing that any more. I got into Information Technology and learned that when computer code gets mad at you, you know it immediately! When people in the church get mad at you, they may foster that anger for years before you know anything is even remotely wrong. Meanwhile, they go behind your back and stab you. Computer code just throws up at you right from the get-go and you know there's a problem. OK, enough of that.

As a pastor, one of the benefits was always "free housing" (a parsonage). Normally, the church would supply a house and pay all utilities (in addition to a salary and other benefits).

Well, in my first year as a pastor (back in 1977) when it came time for filling out my taxes I was in for a rude shock! OK, back then things were a little different. My weekly salary was $75 and house provided. I also worked a part time job outside the church.

At $75 a week, thats a total of $300 a month or a total of $3600 a year. (really pathetic when you think about that, but I was young and stupid back then too.) But when I had my taxes done, I had to declare the "fair rent value" of the the parsonage as income, plus the utilities. The "fair rent value" of the house was something like $400 a month and the utilities added about another $100 on top of that. (Gas, water, electric, sewage, and trash pick up). When all was said and done, the "fair rent value" of the parsonage threw me into a tax situation I wasn't prepared for. I had no clue.

Every year after that, I paid quartile installments as I had to declare everything as "personal income" since the church did not take any taxes out for me. In the end, that $75 a week, my net left over was about $10. That's when I started working another full time job and the church was now part time! I did this for years, and another reason for the burn out.

Computer code and paying your own rent and eventually own your own house is simply soooooo much easier when it comes time for taxes.

So yes, I'm not surprised at all that you'd get a statement for the "fair rent value" of the campsite.

However, this should have been explained to you when you initially contracted for the position.

I camp hosted for a month in 2022. Before agreeing to anything, that was one of the questions I asked? Is the campsite "taxable"? And the answer was "no". Well, I'm waiting to see if that was actually true or not.

One thing you might do, is add up all the hours you worked while there and figure out what the income would have been had they paid you cash and then you paid for the campsite rental. Now, take the difference between what you would have earned and the value for the camp site rental and declare your "income" as a business loss. Since you didn't get paid actual cash.

I know this is maybe a little more complicated, and if you use H&R Block, you'll get charged for another "form", but they've already reported your site as "income". You've got to pay the tax now.

I know .... life sucks sometimes. That's why I changed careers and finally retired form it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote