Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Battery problem-i hope not

I have two 12volt batteries in my rig.Their both probably 5 years old in or about.I noticed One of the batteries when I was up in the front compartment was hot to touch-I mean really hot.The other one was fine.And I have lately been putting a lot of distilled water in that Hot battery.Every thing in the Montana is running as it should be(i think)I`am not having issues with any thing what so ever.I`am kind of hoping it was just that the battery was old and needed replacing.Which I did with both of them today.

Any thoughts on why the one battery would get so hot.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You are overcharging the batteries if they are using a lot of water and getting hot. The hot battery could have a shorted cell as well. Overcharging will ruin batteries.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kmh3212

You are overcharging the batteries if they are using a lot of water and getting hot. The hot battery could have a shorted cell as well. Overcharging will ruin batteries.
So how do I NOT overcharge the batteries.I mean I haven`t put any kind of charger on the batteries.I`am now hooked up to 30 amps at work.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Batteries typically have a life span of 5 years + or -. From your description, due to it's age your battery won't hold a charge and is just cooking out the acid. It has about lived thru it's life span and it is about time that they both be replaced. The overcharging should no longer be a problem with the new batteries.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Awwww thanks Glenn that was the answer I was hoping for.I will sleep well tonight thanks to you my friend.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
All great input...heed the warning because the next event will be a plate falling over and taking out your charger if it doesn't have a chance to pop the fuse.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Aren't some of you folks using an Iota Smart Charger? What would be required to change out the stock (OEM) charger? Is it somewhere in the battery compartment or elsewhere in the trailer?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
The Smart Charger plugs into the battery charger, not the battery...no need to change the charger, unless it is not working. There is a receptical on the charger (in the compartment over the toilet) that is made for the Smart Charger to go in, and the Iota SC comes with the wiring you need.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I use a battery minder that recharges, prevents overcharging and also conditions the batteries. I seems to work well so far but it has only been 3 years.

I must still monitor the battery water to ensure the cells are full. I use a pump device I bought from an RV store that allows me to pump water into all the cells at the same time. When the cells are full the pumping gets VERY hard. That's when I stop pumping. This is working pretty good, too but I have only had this for one year.

Fortunately, I store my rig at home, so these can be checked conveniently. I have a manual disconnect for the battery with the battery minder connected to the batteries to keep them charged and conditioned. I also leave the rig connected to 20 amp shore power so the interior can be used.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote