Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Tire pressure monitors

Has anyone used an aftermarket TPMS other than Pressure Pro? During my research I've found these [there are a few more out there also]:
1- Truck System Technologies [TST]
2- Hopkins nVision
3- Doran 360
4- Bartec

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Skip,

Have not heard from you for a while. Hope you are both keeping well.

I too have looked at, but not purchased, a TPM. One I saw (don't remember the brand though) included temperature monitoring. I thought that was a good feature, because it may indicate an impending problem, such as a blow out, before the pressure actually drops. This type requires installation inside the tire, rather than on the valve stem. Pros and cons to that arrangement.

Here is one at CW: Temp & Pressure Monitor

I will watch this thread and see what more I can learn.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Hi John, Everything is going fine, I just don't monitor as much as I used to. I think the TST an Hopkins do temps.

Should have looked at that site first.

http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html [better price]
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Skip,
Got Pressure Pro for my birthday this year. Alarm went off recently on NY Thruway. Loose sensor, only! Yea!!! Know nothing of SOBs.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Doran was the distributer for the pressure pro system up till about a year or so ago. Doran and pressure pro has some sort of falling out and Doran no longer markets the pressure pro system.. Doran makes the Doran360 system and we saw one at the escapees rally. It looks near identical to the pressure pro system. saw on some other RV forums that the Doran 360 system had some problems early on..Don't know about now. We use the pressure pro system and except for one sensor failure in 3 years it has been a good system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
i recently purchased the TST. It does pressure and temp. the monitor in the truck is compact but easy to read. It comes with plug in power or hardwire. It also has two antennas. The sending units on the stems can't be removed without the special wrench. I am totally happy with my unit. I'm in Topsail SP in Florida, on the trip down my TPMS saved me big time. We were getting ready to leave the campground in Ga. I plugged in my monitor and went about getting ready to leave. Then I hear my warning beep from TPMS. checked it out and it indicated my left rear truck tire was low.(69 psi). I looked at the tire and it didn't look low. So i got my tire gauge to check it out. I put the wrench on the sending unit and air shot out of the valve stem ( bad valve stem). Now It didn't look low by eye so I would have been on I95 with a flat or BLOWOUT. It saved me!!!!!!!!!

get one, swanny
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
Just recieved my Doran 360 and installed it (Happy Father's Day to myself!). Didn't realize that the regular pressure guage I was using could be that far off at the supposedly same readings. I like the fact that the memory of the sensor will not change if you take it off of the valve stem. Will put it to the test in about a week or so when we leave for the Badlands. It has temperature set point but it is at a level that I believe that it would be way too late to do anything about saving the condition of the tire. Good luck!
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have the Doran 360 and have been very pleased with it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by milkman

Just recieved my Doran 360 and installed it (Happy Father's Day to myself!). Didn't realize that the regular pressure guage I was using could be that far off at the supposedly same readings. I like the fact that the memory of the sensor will not change if you take it off of the valve stem. Will put it to the test in about a week or so when we leave for the Badlands. It has temperature set point but it is at a level that I believe that it would be way too late to do anything about saving the condition of the tire. Good luck!
That's odd, my Doran 360RV does not monitor temperature. Do you have the 360HD system?

The HD system online brochure and online user manual do not mention temperature alarms at all, only the general info page for the HD system says anything about a high temperature warning being included. **** Edit: I brought this fact to their attention. She said that she would have someone look into the matter. So, I think that statement will soon be addressed and maybe edited out of their web page. End edit ****

Hmmm, now you have me wondering! If there is indeed a temperature feature, I may have to see about them upgrading me to an HD system. If the high temp feature is just an interpolation of pressure increase over a period of time and not an actual temperature reading, then they can keep it. I guess I will call them for more clarification on the matter.
**** Edit: OK, I called Doran and confirmed that neither the RV or HD system has temperature monitoring. The only difference between the RV and HD systems is that the HD monitor has different software/firmware for truck fleet management purposes, such as more sensor positions, un-editable time stamped alarm logs to keep truck drivers from manipulating alarm info, etc., stuff designed more for trucking companies. The sensors themselves, are exactly the same. So, I guess that I will be keeping my 360RV system after all. End edit ****
The 360RV does have a high pressure alarm which is 25% over the set baseline pressure for each position. So a tire's baseline pressure of 80 psi would alarm out at 100 psi, a baseline of 70 psi would be alarmed at 87.5 psi, a baseline of 60 psi would trigger at 75 psi, etc. Hopefully, when the tire heats up excessively, the pressure goes over the 25% mark before a blowout occurs. It is a weak point of the 360RV system, I think. That being said, I still chose the Doran 360RV TPMS over several others. One thing that I do like is the fast leak alarm, which goes off if the tire loses over 2.8 psi within 12 seconds.

Also, I do not think that the 360RV sensors themselves have any memory at all, they only send pressure info to the receiver/monitor unit, which has all of the stored memory and functions. Are the HD sensors different?
**** Edit: No, they are not any different. End edit ****

If you have an old school, sliding stick, tire pressure guage, get rid of it. Get yourself a quality dial type gauge, or at least a digital one.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Thanks for all the data. It appears the Pressure Pro, TST and Doran 360 are the ones to consider.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I just installed TST and a friend got the Pressure Pro. I had a Doran four years ago.
I lean towards the TST but will post a comparison after this weekend and experience/lessons learned.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
A TPM system and Honda 2000 Companion are on next year's list. We've already spent this year's allotment. Having three good choices can only make it better for consumers. Typically that means better features and lower prices. A question on the TST - do the sensors mount on the valve stem or in the tire?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

A TPM system and Honda 2000 Companion are on next year's list. We've already spent this year's allotment. Having three good choices can only make it better for consumers. Typically that means better features and lower prices. A question on the TST - do the sensors mount on the valve stem or in the tire?
ON the Valve Stem. One of my comments will be to have the bolt down valve stems with the nut inside and make sure they are the 1 1/2 inch long ones. I thought they were too long but that was a "good" mistake. We get lucky once in a while.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The fast leak detect does work. I was able to shut down the rig before I did major damage to the tire.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote