Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
Winterizing washer/dryer combo

DW and I (mostley DW) are thinking of getting a W/D combo to put into the 2955RL. There is a closet for it with water connections. I would like to hear from someone who has one and learn how to winterize this thing. Do you turn the machine on and run pink stuff into it? Do you disconnect the hoses in the closet? Also how much does one of these things weigh?

whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We have the Splendide combo unit and it weighs about 150 lbs. When we winterize it we put a little pink stuff in the tub and cycle it until it pumps out the drain. I disconnect the hoses and then pump the pink stuff all the way through the lines. I then get a bucket and open the hose fittings and flush out the remaining water into a large bucket and then I hook the hoses back up. This is basically how I winterized it last winter and I didn’t have any problems with anything leaking when I first used it this year. The owners manual will probably be more specific for whatever brand you get.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Look at Splendide Tips
Down near the bottom it explains the winterization steps.
Not difficult at all. I just do it as part of winterizing and de-winterizing all the other water lines.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
What about those of us who have the connections, but no washer and dryer. Do we open the hot and cold water connections and then shut them down after the pink stuff comes through each faucet? Thought about this while swimming this morning. Helped to pass the time.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tim43

What about those of us who have the connections, but no washer and dryer. Do we open the hot and cold water connections and then shut them down after the pink stuff comes through each faucet? Thought about this while swimming this morning. Helped to pass the time.
Our first year I didn’t do what you mentioned. However, I think it had the pink stuff in the end of the lines from when it was previously winterized. If there is water in the lines during the winter I’m sure it would freeze regardless where it’s at. I think I was just lucky that first year. I would make certain that those lines are drained and flushed with the pink stuff as well.

On Edit: It's kind of humorous! Here it is 82° outside and we're talking about winterizing. Let's go camping!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
Tim, When we bought our Monty the dealer gave me some plastic plugs so I could disconnect the lines that were Tee'd into the bathroom sink. On ours the lines joined under the bathroom sink. That way we don't have to worry about winterizing the WD lines.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Whiptail, Thanks for that info, I'll check the rig tomorrow to see if the lines are also under the sink. If I can't plug them like that, I'll just run the pink stuff through the washer lines come fall.
Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Back in the days when we had to winterize ours, the manual said to pour a little of the rv antifreeze into the tub of the washer, run the spin and drain cycle for 30 seconds, shut it off, disconnect the hoses and that's it. Ours went through a winter of sitting beside the house in Topeka, KS with no problems.
We also did the usual winterizing of water lines and did that first, before disconnecting the washer hoses.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote