Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
condor
Established Member

M.O.C. #6205
Suggestions on wall anchors

Anyone have any suggestions on the use of wall anchors in the Monty? Need to permanently mount a clock on the wall of our 2955RL, but I don't know how thick the walls are (especially the slide outs) and have the obvious concerns. I don't believe the "stick-em" type wall mounts would work as the clock (which conceals a handgun) is rather heavy. Also, the clock body needs to be actually screwed to the wall and not just hung on a hook (which it would not stay on anyhow). Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from some of you tech folks who know about wall thickness!! Thanks.

condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, except for the gun, we use the 3m hook stick 'ems that are easily removed by pulling down on the tab. I have a very small one holding up or 12 inch round clock. The bigger ones are designed for specific weights and the weights are listed on the package. (Don't keep a round in the chamber just in case it falls!!!)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Greg, your walls are approximately 3/8 in thick. You could use the 3/4inch anchor without any problem. When you mount the clock, check the lower portion of that wall to see if you have an electric switch or outlet. The wires run from the ceiling down the walls to those receptacles, you don't want to run a screw into the wires.
Use enough anchors to support the fire arm so it doesn't fall from too much weight on just a couple screws. As a suggestion, do not travel with the fire arm in the clock, no sense adding the extra bouncing to the screws.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used a plain wall hanger (the kind with the hook and little nail) like we used in our stick house and placed velcro on the back of the clock to keep it from swinging during transit. Has worked for over eight years of full timing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have a fair amount of heavy stuff held up with the 2 inch "industrial strength velcro" Wally World has big rolls of it in the hobby section(sewing). 3 or 4 6 inch strips hold a hell of lot of weight. And it won't vibrate off the wall... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
There is an interesting hanger that looks kind of like a big fish hook with a VERY long tail that is made to hang heavy pictures/objects on the wall. It makes a very small hole (as compared to a molly bolt (or similar type of hanger for wall board) and is easy to install and take out if you desire. They have them at Home Depot and Lowes here in Florida. Might be worth checking out. The biggest concern I see is the potential to have any hanger tear out of the wall and make a significant hole as a result of the weight and pulling down on the wall (I belive the wall board is thinner than the "standard" used in regular home construction). Would the safe under the bed be a bit safer/more secure? Or maybe another less exposed location (like behind one of the t.v.'s)?

My experience with the industrial strength velcro has been pretty good as well. Big thing there is to stick the velcro pieces to the wall and the item to be hung and want 30 minutes to an hour before "marrying" up the two pieces to be sure the "stickem" is well bonded to the surfaces.

Good luck!
Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
condor
Established Member

M.O.C. #6205
Thanks to everyone for the fast responses. Some really good suggestions and they are apreciated. I was at a bit of a loss as to how I was going to hang this thing. Thanks again.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think this is what eeoski is talking about. We use them at home but they may be too "deep" for the RV. They hold an awful lot of weight!
http://monkeyhook.com/
Our clock (no gun) is held in place with a screw and plastic anchor and then 3 pieces of the tacky stuff (like gum) to hold it in place and keep it from wanting to move during travel. That stuff holds it quite well and does not damage the wall when we reset it for battery change, time zones, and daylight savings.
Again, the weight of a handgun may prohibit any of this.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Larry,

Yes, this is what I was talking about! Thanks for going the extra step.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
There is also a product called "earthquake putty" that I learned about on the Escapees forum. That may be an option also. Just Google "earthquake putty and there many sources for it... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Condor,
I would not use the 3m stick on Velcro hooks to hold a clock. I did it and it was fine for a few months then it fell off. The paper or whatever it is covering the walls had stretched until the clock fell off while setting, not on the road. Did not tear the paper but sure stretched it. Put it back up like Orv said. I think the weight is the problem since I have not had a problem with other things the wife puts on the walls with Velcro.

"I used a plain wall hanger (the kind with the hook and little nail) like we used in our stick house and placed velcro on the back of the clock to keep it from swinging during transit. Has worked for over eight years of full timing."

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Condor, for our clock I used velcro in about four locations and also a single screw to position the clock, using the slot in the back of the clock. The screw takes weight off the velcro and the velcro keeps there from being a downward pull on the screw. The clock is removed only to change to/from daylight saving time and time zone changes. It's been in its current location for 28 months in this Montana and 4 years in the prior montana.

For heavier items I use either toggle bolts, if a really heavy item like a medicine cabinet I put in the toilet room of our prior Montana, or these drywall anchors for most everything else. These work really well for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Condor, I needed to anchor the little glass shelf/towel rack in our Mountaineer bathroom. The DW put two towels on the rack and down it crashed breaking the toilet seat (but not the glass shelf). Anyhow, I needed hollow wall anchors for that repair, that I got at Lowes. Keystone just had screws in the thin paneling. Not Good!
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Because of the veritable small thickness of the interior walls, toggle bolts would be a good choice for heavy items, as Steve said, because, unlike wall anchors that use expansion for holding power, toggle bolts distribute the forces (weight) over a larger area. But, just my opinion.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
What length toggle bolts are recommended for the wall thickness in our Montys. I need to put up a shelf and I don't want it to come crashing down either.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It's not so much the length of the bolt, but the length of the toggles. For the shelf, I used about 1" long toggles. The more weight, the more length needed to distribute the forces across more of the wall area.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote