Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Traveling in Maine

We are heading to Bar Harbor this summer and I would like to hear from anyone that has traveled there before. I am thinking of taking route 3 out of Augusta. Let me know if this route is workable or should I go to Bangor and then south on Rt.1. Thanks for the help. rving2us

rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Route 3 is definitely doable. It is mostly very good road. Once you get to Bucksport you go onto Route 1 and that can be infuriating. Traffic is slow and it is hard enough to pass with a car. Hauling a Monte it would be nigh unto impossible. It does give you an interesting ride. It all depends on what your objectives are. I would prefer Route 17 from Augusta to Rockport and then up Route 1. Yes it might be slow but what's the hurry. There is a lot to see if you have never been there. There is a great place for lobster and clams in Lincolnville Beach. Route 3 would be a little quicker but less interesting. Going home I would go up 1a to to Bangor and take the interstate.

If you have plenty of time, reverse it and take Route 1 down as far a Brunswick and then the interstate. This route will also take you right by LL Bean. On the way stop at Damariscotta and Boothbay Harbor. (Little Ponderosa Campground-bring bug spray) My personal opinion is that Boothbay Harbor is the most pleasant town on the coast. Great lobsters and clams at Robinson's Wharf just across the Southport Bridge.

Enjoy
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
While you are in the Bar Harbor area,park the truck and use the free buses. The only thing you can't do on the bus is go up Cadillac Mountain.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
If you have the time while in Maine, I would also recommend the Mid Coast are of Boothbay Harbor.

You get there directly off I-95 to Route 1 in Bath

While a non - RVer stayed in a motel their many times.

There are some RV parks in the area.

We are newbies and chose to travel to the Washington DC area last summer and are now in Florida- so, we haven't stayed yet - but will this summer.

Boothbay Harbor has a quaint village and many boat tours leaving from their multiple docks.

From there you can take Route 1 North thru Rockland and Camden eventually to Ellsworth / Bar Harbor.

While passing thru Thomaston, you can stop by the State Prison store and can usually find useful items made by the inmates at the nearby State Prison.

Hoep this helps
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Mt Desert Narrows and Narrows Too are both great campgrounds to stay at in Bar Harbor.

You can find thim at www.barharborcampingresorts.com
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great information as the N.E area will be our summer adventure trip this tear.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Thanks for all the great responses considering our upcoming trip to Bar Harbor. We have already reserved a campsite at Narrows too with an ocean view site and with all the great information on getting there we should be on time, last year we were a couple of days late for our reservations in Bothell, Washington. Nothing worse that paying for a campsite and still on the road getting to it, huh?
To Rich and Helen in N Ridgeville, Ohio; we are leaving Powell, Ohio in June for this trip and wish you guys "happy trails" on your trip.
Thanks for everyones help. rving2us
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I agree with everything that has been posted but do yourself a favor if you have time and visit the Camden area on your way up or down Route 1. We love that town and the surrounding area.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote