Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
50 Amp RV Power Cord Reel Not Working

My 50amp power cord reel came with the trailer and, from day one, did not seem to be up to the task of drawing in the power cord. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. I suppose it became tired of my cursing it and decided to quit altogether. Push the rocker switch and all it does is buzz. My preference would be to remove the reel and motor and use the cabinet to coil the cable in manually. Seems simple but my experience is that “simple” and RVs don’t naturally go together. I’m not sure it can be fixed and new units are expensive and, I would think, just setting me up to repeat this experience later. So, does anyone know how to remove the reel and not have to re-wrire the shore power interface?

TDeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
You don't indicate what year or model your Montana is. I have a power cord reel and the only time it failed was due to low battery voltage. If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery terminals and have someone press the power cord reel switch and see what it does. Another way to check, if you have a level up system is to look at that voltage and see what happens to the battery voltage level when the switch is pressed. Best of Luck.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
You don't indicate what year or model your Montana is. I have a power cord reel and the only time it failed was due to low battery voltage. If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery terminals and have someone press the power cord reel switch and see what it does. Another way to check, if you have a level up system is to look at that voltage and see what happens to the battery voltage level when the switch is pressed. Best of Luck.
I have a 2018 Montana 3791. Best I can tell I don’t seem to have any issues with batteries. That said, all my electrical dear is back home so nothing to test with. The reel is a “Shoreline” product (so says the label).
Old 01-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There have a many issues with the power cord reel. Do a Search on "cord reel" or similar to find them. Here is a start:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=77169
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=76849
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=75721

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:52 AM   #5
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
My issue with the cord reel is the cheap plastic door they put on it... ours was cracked at the hinge and we lost it on our first trip. 68 bucks for piece of plastic... ouch.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Feyera
Established Member

M.O.C. #29249
I keep breaking the pin that holds the door on. So I cut a Number 16 nail and rounded the end and haven't broken any sence.
Feyera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #7
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Safa’s End

Removed the power winch. The bay from which it was extracted is plenty large enough to easily — and quickly — stow the cord manually. A better winch would have worked as well only I could not find one that was priced commensurate with the (low) value of the convenience of automating this task. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Tags
power reel, shore power cord.