Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #41
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
There are thousands of Posts here about stopping and starting slides. Here are a few of the normal causes. More discussion can be found by doing a Search on "slide stopping" or such.

o - The current flow from the truck to the batteries has insufficient amperage to be effective. The pump can draw over 50 amps and there is no way the vehicle 12V charge line can meet this need.

o - The batteries are shot. What voltage are they 30 minutes after the shore power is removed? They should be 12.6 /- volts.

o - There are two 50 amp self resetting circuit breakers between the batteries, converter, and hydraulic pump. When they get weak they open up well before the draw gets to 50 amps. Eventually one will fail altogether. Be aware the pump can draw over 50 amps (80 amps are not unknown) particularly when it is cold (I suspect ID is cold this time of year).

o - Normally the converter cannot supply the required amperage to run the pump. Since yours does, I am assuming the batteries are helping and the start/stop is attributable to a circuit breaker opening.

o - The battery disconnect switch in the convenience center does prevent the batteries from charging but doesn't prevent the batteries from powering the pump. The problem here is a lack of charging to replace voltage used.

A quick check of voltage along the power circuit (battery, 50 amp CBs, converter) should identify the fault. Also a load test of the batteries may be in order.
We are having trouble with 12 volt system not working at all if we're not on shore power. Can you please tell me where those 50 amp circuit breakers are between the battery and the converter, jacks, slides? We cannot seem to trace where the disconnect is

dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #42
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 50 amp circuit breakers are covered with a red plastic cap and are mounted on the wall behind the batteries.
The disconnect switch is in the convenience center where the water hookup and dump valves are.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #43
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The battery disconnect switch like Carl stated is in the convenient center where you hook your hoses up. It is the red key like switch. If you can pull the red key out it is activated and a whole lot of stuff will not work. Turn the key so you cannot pull it out and that will activate the battery power to most every thing again. The disconnect does not shut down the landing gear/leveling system or numerous other items so if you turn it off you will still have power to these items.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #44
dkkirkland
Established Member

M.O.C. #21964
Turned out this was our problem. The wire was loose at one of the breakers. Seems to be working OK now but I went ahead and ordered two new ones to replace the old ones. Boy if I hadn't read your posts we wouldn't have known. Also saw something on YouTube that had different type of breakers but gave me the idea we needed to look for the same thing and your post cinched it. My son is an electrician and he didn't know there were breakers until we could read the writing on them. We had a mobile repairman coming on Friday to install an AC unit that had a burned up capacitor and was going to pay him again to fix this but now we don't have to. Saved us some money. Fortunately for us the Dometic AC unit was just at 2 year mark and still under warranty.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote