Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Care Free rant!

Long time since I posted something new, BUT I'm seriously frosted about this. Spring of 2019 I went on a cross-country jaunt with two of my grown kids - long story on why, but it was a blast. Had a problem in a very overgrown CG near Flagstaff and scraped the slide topper on our kitchen. After getting home, I decided to just replace all four of them and ordered new Care Frees, installing them during that summer.

After that we used the Monty five times, including when we moved down to the Richmond area. It sat on a pad after we bought our new home in May '20, slides out during the summer and in for the winter - the same as we've always done before. I finally got around to washing the poor thing yesterday and found that both the large LR/DR slide cover and the bedroom cover have literally started coming apart. There's even a 3" x 2" hole in the vinyl in the middle of the LR/DR slide one. The other two (other than needing cleaning) look almost new.

Went to their website to see if there was any warranty covering this. I must have received two of their 'new and cheaper' toppers and two of their 'old but better' ones as now they sell their canvas by grades. Obviously I ordered a couple of aftermarket heavy duty replacements. Think is, the RV industry as a whole does not care a bit about quality, durability or even customer support.

We've been coast to coast three times, twice to the South West and twice to Canada with our rig. Considering the roads we've been over, I'm amazed the whole rig hasn't fallen apart, but it hasn't. We've had many things break, but other than the newer infamous water heater controller, nothing like this. Even Harbor Freight's Chinese stuff is better than this!