Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Progressive Dynamics 9200 series

Since our unit came factory with the PD9200 series converter, I'm assuming most others did as well.

I love the PD 9200 except for one thing. Anytime I use an external charger of any type, the PD 9200 recognizes the external charger and stops putting any amps toward the battery bank. I would like to use the converter and external source simultaneously to throw some serious amps back into my 470 amp/hour bank for quick recharge during bulk stage.

Has anyone found a way to trick the PD 9200 or some type of work around to get it to continue charging with an external charge? I've tried manually over-riding with the pendant to keep it in boost 14.4v mode but still no luck.

Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
I'm not an expert on possibly charging simultaneously, but to use your external charger just take the cables off going to coach and hook the charger up. I am curious as to the experts here at MOC to see a hopefully simple work around.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is the link for the manual of the PD9200 system

Your system has the- Equalize Mode (14.4V for 12V models and 28.8V for 24V models) - The Charge Wizardwill automatically switch to equalize mode for approximately 15 minutes every 21 hours the converter remains in storage mode. This will help prevent battery stratification, sulfation and loss of battery capacity (useful life).

BOOST MODE - Indicated by green LED remaining on.

NORMAL MODE - When the battery is between 50% and 90% charged, the green LED will flash once per second. When the battery has reached 90% of full charge the green LED will flash 2 - 3 times per second.

STORAGE MODE - Indicated by green LED flashing every 6 - 8 seconds.

MANUAL BUTTON - The manual button has been provided to allow the operator to temporarily override the converter (not recommended) or to verify the converter is operating properly. For manual operation, press and hold the button. The indicator light will soon remain “ON” indicating Boost Mode. Continue to hold the button and the light will blink rapidly indicating the converter is in the Normal Mode. Continue to hold the button until the light blinks slowly indicating the converter is now in the Storage Mode. After the manual button is released the converter will stay in the selected mode. When the battery charge status changes, the converter will return to the automatic mode of operation to prevent damage to the battery.

If this does not satisfy your boost requirement then I suggest you contact PD. I know it does not cover second charger. I "assume" PD has protecting circuitry to save your battery.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm very familiar with how the PD9200 is designed to work and its features. I'm looking for something it was not designed to do but was hoping someone had already found a way to work around it and use two charging systems simultaneously. (Figured the solar guys may have already found a way.)

I use Megawatt 36 amp power supplies for top charging and equalizing. They are adjustable up to 15.5 volts. Would love to find a way to use one along with the PD9200 for the rare occasion my battery bank wants more amps than either is able to provide by itself.

I could change out the PD9260 for the larger PD9280 modified for 14.8 volt boost mode. But would like to use what I already have.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Scott, why not give the manufacturer of the 9200 unit and ask their customer service rep or an engineer with the company your question. I've found out going directly to most manufacturers or OEMs has worked out best for any problems I've had with their products. Give it a try. There is plenty of knowledge here on the Forum but sometimes one must go beyond that!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
That's too easy Rondo. I like to assemble things first then read the directions.

I may just give them a call. Can't hurt too bad.