Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Tropical Storm Erika

Hello, All

Well it starting to get serious around here in the Naples area. There getting ready for the possibility of Erika turning inland and hitting us even though it shows a more northern route. They have opened all the spillways and letting water out to the gulf and people are starting to prepare and they opened up the emergency center. This is our first venture into the hurricane scenario and the wild summer Florida weather. we have not quite started to prepare but if it looks like we are going to get it. I will have the rig hooked up and ready to pull out on Saturday night/Sunday morning to head north as they have the storm hitting us Sunday night Monday. But we will see.

2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have been reading the updates for the past 48 hours. When we came back north last month I didn't install our hurricane shutter on our Cape Coral home. Looks like there will be a possibility I will be making a quick 1300 miles trip back down to do so. I hope they confirm a northern track by tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
so far no major preparations up here in Inverness other than making people aware there could be a threat of bad weather in the near future. Stay safe down there and if you need a more northern place for the RV and you during the storm, come this way, you can plug in here back by the pool, if need be, send me an IM and I'll give you directions and get ready for you. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Susie

so far no major preparations up here in Inverness other than making people aware there could be a threat of bad weather in the near future. Stay safe down there and if you need a more northern place for the RV and you during the storm, come this way, you can plug in here back by the pool, if need be, send me an IM and I'll give you directions and get ready for you. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Thank you.

The invite also extends to all who might be in the way of this storm and you have to evacuate to the south.

That's just awesome and very appreciated for the support. We are not too sure about where to go if need to evacuate from the area. but we do know that we cant go south. we will know more around Saturday. I will keep you all informed.

Thank you again and god bless.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IF it were me, I wouldn't be waiting till Saturday night or Sunday morning to head out. IF it does hit, those roads heading North are going to be bumper to bumper and not the best place to be with a Monte. Besides that, there will be a large use of fuel while crawling along in those full roads. I'd be heading out tomorrow and even if it does not hit your area you'll enjoy a little vacation time.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
What great timing! Heading out Saturday morning for a week in Fort Lauderdale.. No getting out of it, either cancel and eat all the costs or hunker down when we get there, hope for the best and hopefully enjoy the rest of the week. Thankfully were are leaving the Monty in CA.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

I have been reading the updates for the past 48 hours. When we came back north last month I didn't install our hurricane shutter on our Cape Coral home. Looks like there will be a possibility I will be making a quick 1300 miles trip back down to do so. I hope they confirm a northern track by tomorrow.
J&C Just a little freindly Florida advice hopefully you have someone doing a home watch most importantly making sure the AC unit is working properly otherwise you will have mold issues.The home watch person will also install the Hurricane Shutters no need to make a trek to Fl
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Well we arrive at Okefenokee tomorrow so we'll see what we end up with. Our friend who was going on to Jeckal Island will be staying near us while she sees what's going to happen.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
All you guys be careful down there and we are keeping you in our thoughts. Remember those Montana's don't float to good and there is no place to mount oars on them either!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Looks like the east coast of Florida will see a significant rain event if the track stays as predicted.
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Quote:

J&C Just a little freindly Florida advice hopefully you have someone doing a home watch most importantly making sure the AC unit is working properly otherwise you will have mold issues.The home watch person will also install the Hurricane Shutters no need to make a trek to Fl
Thanks Ken for advise. I monitor my air by going online every morning and checking my electrical usage. All my breakers are shut off except my air conditioning. I have ADT in place so I am covered there, or at least I will know after someone breaks in!

My lawn service guy may be willing to put my hurricane shutters up for me if need be. He lives about a mile from our place and actually was raised in Florida so I was going to call him and see what he thought.

My thought is to drive the SUV down and secure the house myself so that I can at least be in the area to check for damage afterwards. The DW wants to pay someone to secure the house and not go close to Florida until next month.

We should know more about the track and what is expected for SW Florida coast soon.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:27 AM   #12
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Well, Eagleback, John and Lisa, the invitation is open here. The hook up out by the pool is only 30 amp so don't know how well it will run you air, should you need it, but as long as we have power the air is on in the house, and we also have a spare bedroom here. We are 50 miles straight north of Tampa airport, so you would come up either 19 or 75, which ever is best and we're between both here. Give a shout if you need a haven, your welcome here. Also, noticed on your profile your also a musician, and so are we, so we can sit around and play music when all else fails. Let us know what you decide, like rondo said, don't wait too long, traffic will be a bear.
Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We hope everyone that is affected will be safe with no property damage.
One of the advantages of living in Colorado... no hurricanes.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #14
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Susie

Well, Eagleback, John and Lisa, the invitation is open here. The hook up out by the pool is only 30 amp so don't know how well it will run you air, should you need it, but as long as we have power the air is on in the house, and we also have a spare bedroom here. We are 50 miles straight north of Tampa airport, so you would come up either 19 or 75, which ever is best and we're between both here. Give a shout if you need a haven, your welcome here. Also, noticed on your profile your also a musician, and so are we, so we can sit around and play music when all else fails. Let us know what you decide, like rondo said, don't wait too long, traffic will be a bear.
Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
UPDATE:

The storm is taking a more westerly track and placing the center just to the west of Miami. right now it looks like if you need to run the west side of Florida is the escape route, at least of course at this time. But the storm is cutting the state in half by making the track straight up the through middle of the state. and then they also said that the storm could break up. But who knows at this time.

Again thank you for giving us a place to go. still might need it.

Yes, love the music and we would love to come see you even if its not storm related. We will make a plan to jam LOL.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

Quote:

Thanks Ken for advise. I monitor my air by going online every morning and checking my electrical usage. All my breakers are shut off except my air conditioning. I have ADT in place so I am covered there, or at least I will know after someone breaks in!

My lawn service guy may be willing to put my hurricane shutters up for me if need be. He lives about a mile from our place and actually was raised in Florida so I was going to call him and see what he thought.

My thought is to drive the SUV down and secure the house myself so that I can at least be in the area to check for damage afterwards. The DW wants to pay someone to secure the house and not go close to Florida until next month.

We should know more about the track and what is expected for SW Florida coast soon.
Joe just a a few follow up comments I have a unit connected to my phone called Home Guard made by Temperture Guard.it monitor's the temp I have it set for 86 higher then 86 or power goes off it will call me I can call the unit it will tell me current temp.because of that I only have home watch person come in once a month.My friend across 5he street refused to have a home watch person last fall he returned to mold big time mold The Ac Air handler blower motor quit a giant Ice Cube in the Air Handler no cool air entwring the house high Electric Bill. MY POINT YOU CAN NOT JUDGE IF AC UNIT IS WORKING PROPERLY BY MONITORING YOUR ELECTRIC BILL.Another neighbor had a water leak tht was unnoticed for 5 months someone turned on the water at the curb.I can not ephasize the need for a home watch person ours charges $25 a month for two visits per month.Also if a storm is on the Horizon these people are extreamly busy why it is best to have a prearagment.Sorry to be long winded I have fam7ly in Florida for over 3o years one that does AC and home watch the stories he can tell
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

We hope everyone that is affected will be safe with no property damage.
One of the advantages of living in Colorado... no hurricanes.
Fires and mudslides, however. Everyone has something to deal with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
It is suppose to cross right over the top of us. I live in SW Florida.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #18
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Looks like Tampa will have a wet week. I just hope this thing stays out of the Gulf. It's way too warm and will only feed the beast. Been through 2 and got a lot of new STUFF after the first. Don't want any new stuff again.
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 AM   #19
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I hope you are wrong pineranch about the Gulf being warm and "feeding the beast", because from what I observed on the latest news this morning it looks like it will stay just off shore on the west side of Florida.

Looks like maybe the Cape Coral and Ft. Myers area will have 40mph winds. I hope that prediction holds true. Heck, 40mph winds I would still ride my Harley to the store.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #20
vbbigsky
Established Member

M.O.C. #13949
Got into Key Largo on Thursday still here weather is great !
We are prepared to move out if necessary
vbbigsky is offline   Reply With Quote