Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Final post on tank replacement

Dealer called Montana is ready to roll. The total bill is 2230.00.
My extended service contract will not cover any of the tank replacement cost as I expected as they feel 4 tank failures in less than one year is on the manufacturer. Keystone has offered to "help out" we shall see.

we had a problem with the Mor Ryde IS system as with the cross bar of the system being under the tanks there was not enough room to get the tank out and they had to remove the IS system. Mor Ryde has offered to cover the cost of the additional labor. Dealer has transmitted the cost....We shall see.

Some of that cost would have been on me example additional tank support and Flex input pipe was not OEM and the service plan would not have paid for that anyhow. I knew that. we had other work done that was also on me and I knew that.

Keystone was outstanding in expediting the parts and working with the dealer.

Mor Ryde had offered that we bring the Montana to the Mr Ryde factory and they would do the work gratis.. We could not do that our fault not Mor Rydes. I will write the check and see what comes back from keystone and Mor Ryde. I expected that.

I will say no more and will never report another major problem on the forum.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Or you could just post Major Problems on RV Net ,they LOVE Montana bashing But no big deal in my book posting them here anyway Rich,Folks have learned a lot about your Misfortunes with your rig and how they were resolved(or Not)
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
May I ask why you no longer want to share or is it personal?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At one time this forum was a place to post problems how you dealt with them and the resolution. I thought it was important to talk about every problem as it might help others. I do not see that as being the case anymore. I have been told I must be doing something wrong to have so many problems. Folks post they have never had troubles or only minor or minimal problems. I thought every problem was important to share. My issues are seen as unusual or not the norm. I know better. I will no longer have major problems. I have had tank failures, Frame flex, Fridge failures, furnace failures. Toilet failures, screws falling out of fenders, Cabinet doors loose, 50 amp power cord failures. Shackle failures. Anyone else had those problems?? I just do not need the hassle. Anyhow my present problems are solved to my satisfaction and we can deal with future one if any. We are pleased with the help from Keystone and Mor Ryde..we are happy campers and will remain so.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear it's finally fixed. Hope you never have another major failure to report, but please do if one come up. Most of us appreciate knowing what may come up and how to deal with it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Maybe I am just in a bad mood to day. I have been dealing with a severe attack of bursitis in the hip for a couple of weeks and it is taking its toll.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Discussion of problems and fixes is a major benefit of this forum. I have fixed or prevented untold issues from what has been shared. Example two days ago, great advice and links, specific products for upgrading from 50 to 80 amp breakers provided when I posted a request for help. Example when I was having issues with keystone on a warranty issue, I was provided on this forum the name and telephone number of a keystone contact who broke the logjam. Example it was on this forum that I learned the front of the rig had to be higher than the rear for the levelers to work. I could give dozens of examples where I have benefited from others sharing their problems and how they dealt with them.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
hi Rich,

I am truly sorry for the trials you and Helen have undergone. second, I would like to say that I have learned more about Montanas from your posts than from any other member, although I have learned a lot from them as well. it would be a great loss if you discontinued your "issues" reporting. I hope you have trouble free travels in the future.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich I hope you never have another problem with your camper but if you do I would like to know about it. If I don't know about it I can't be prepared when if it happens to me.
I hope you get over your bursitis. My wife has it in her hip NO FUN.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
I think we are all in on you reporting your troubles with your Montana. I know that I learned a lot from yours and everyone else's posts and yet it didn't sway me from buying my Montana, it just prepared me for the unexpected. First night on way back from picking it up in Michigan (750 miles each way) I took a shower and when I got out the bathroom was standing in water and the basement was full (diverter valve in the faucet was leaking in the wall from a split)
We cleaned it all up and got the tools out, found the problem and emailed dura faucet and they sent us the part free of charge. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have had the knowledge of so many to pull upon to tackle the problems. Keep on keeping on, because I am sure it won't be my last issue.

So even with all the problems everyone has, it is what helps everyone else cross those bridges.

So Rich, don't leave us in suspense!
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Maybe I am just in a bad mood to day. I have been dealing with a severe attack of bursitis in the hip for a couple of weeks and it is taking its toll.
Sorry, but there is no extended warranty for that problem, nor will the "manufactures" help you out. Trust me, I know!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes Tom... I have had several attacks of Kidney stone some severe but this hip bursitis is the worst pain I have ever experienced and being in the hip it completely immobilizes you. I had forgotten that Bursitis existed and thought I have worn out a hip. The cortisone treatment has helped greatly in just two days. Now I am trying to figure out what I may have done over the years to cause that. It certainly was not over exercise. I suspect a bone spur from a old injury.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #13
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Rich,

In your original post, you said you had "additional tank support and Flex input pipe" added at your cost.

Would you explain how this was done so the rest of us can do the same.

Thanks,
Tom
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]Originally posted by oldelmer1

Hi Rich,

In your original post, you said you had "additional tank support and Flex input pipe" added at your cost.

Would you explain how this was done so the rest of us can do the same.

Thanks,
Tom

This is the complete order from the dealer. He know exactly what to order as other manufacturers do this OEM. The flex pope he had in stock it is just a a 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch flex pipe that can be purchased most anywhere.

296265 - Tank - Holding - 28" x 70" x 8" - End Drain (HT 543)

169237 - Tank - Holding - 24 x 63 x 9 – RH (HT 541)

**both must be from Amerikart**

303728 - Crossmember - C-Channel - 1" x 2" x 1" x 68" - (12 ga) – HTXM (support bars)(4 of them)

240219 - Valve - Term - Abs - 1 1/2" H x 1 1/2" S - w/72" Cable

240223 - Valve - Term - Abs - 3" H x 3" S - w/72" Cable

Old 05-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have been on this Forum for over 12 years my observation over the years is that they just don't make them like they use to!
Their are quality issues that were unheard of back in the Day!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct Ken. We had 4 rv's before our first Montana going back to 1981. They were built like tanks, Heavy of course. Just my opinion but my experience with our 2006 3400 and 7 years later with our 13 3402. We hade several problems with our 2006 but as long timers we used it hard. We use this 13 3402 just as hard and have more problems. There are many more technological improvement in the 13 3402 but IMO the build quality is not that of the 06 3400.

I do not think there is a better brand in the price range and our experience with Our Montana dealer, Keystone and the service center has been outstanding.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I only got a little over two years out of the original power cord as well. When I cut the cable over a foot from the male connection, I found signs of wire oxidation or overheating. My guess is sub-standard copper quality used in the cord, but it could be poor construction at the molded on connector as well. Am very happy with new furrion cord set. As for tank failures, one galley grey top seam opening and split starting on bottom. Hey, they expand like balloons when filled and coupled with all that weight on that top seam and no under tank support means "you gotta be lucky to not have an issue". I now have a good external sensor tank monitor, don't travel with anything more than a few gallons of grey or black water, and NEVER fill over 80 percent volume before dumping. John
Old 05-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Both of mine split at the top seam. the only way that can happen said the dealer is by overfilling. I never over fill and most here never overfill and they still split. We added under tank support and flex input pipe.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Rich
Pleases don't stop posting when you have a serious problem. As you know we have similar units with the Mor-Ryde and we really appreciate the heads up. We know now if we ever have a tank issue that we'll know how to deal with it. Already had a tank issue but it was under the warranty period before Mor-Ryde suspension. Believe me we watch our tanks like a hawk. I make sure we dump often as I know you did also. Thanks again for letting us know about all the issues you have had. Saved us a lot of problems.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #20
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Rich- we had 4 leaks this past January in Ft Myers after being parked on our cement pad since end of Nov....go figure. I spent most of January with an opened underbelly and constant Clorox spray/wash within the tank area and out. We never had a single leak prior. Two on lower end near her drain but in separate places then two on opposite end separate places. All four were basically close to bottom of the tank. We put that Plasti-mend on that was recommended for each and seems to told for now. Probably need to replace the black tank. I feel that part of your pain for sure. D