Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Refrigerator: electricity or propane

We will be dry camping for several days for the first time. We have a new Honda 2000 generator. My question: do I put the refrig on propane while we are camping, or do I leave the generator on all the time for the refrig?

I'm pretty sure I put it on propane. If I do, do I just push the "gas" button on the top of the refrig, and take it off the "auto" button? Am I correct in assuming that the "auto" button first looks for electricity, and then for propane?

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:05 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You are right. Auto is electric first and propane if no power hookup. We always run our frig on propane even when hooked up. Power fluctuations can do more damage to the refrig than anything else.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:15 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I agree with the auto, Except I run my refrig. on electric all the time expect when moving from one spot to another. Haven't had any problem as of yet. I would leave my refrig on auto. when the gen. is off the refrig. will supplyied by your propane tanks.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
dry camping I always use lp
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:51 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
If we were dry camping I would be using the propane, when we are parked, it's always on electric. I'd rather have the CG pay for the electric than me pay for the gas. That's why we park in them right?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alanzuck

We will be dry camping for several days for the first time. We have a new Honda 2000 generator. My question: do I put the refrig on propane while we are camping, or do I leave the generator on all the time for the refrig?

I'm pretty sure I put it on propane. If I do, do I just push the "gas" button on the top of the refrig, and take it off the "auto" button? Am I correct in assuming that the "auto" button first looks for electricity, and then for propane?
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
The reason we use the propane for the refrig. and water heater when we are in Tx. is the propane is cheaper than the power. The water also heats faster on propane and we can have back to back showers. (not at the same time)
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:16 AM   #7
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alanzuck

We boondock 95% of the time and just leave the fridge on Auto. When the generator is on it runs off electricity when off off LP.
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote