Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
The 3100RL Finally Arrived

We've been (not so) patiently waiting for our Big Sky 3100RL to arrive and we were finally able to pick it up on 10 March. For the most part we were really happy, but of course there are a few minor issues like damage to the rear recliners, trim wood damage, chips in the paint up front, etc. Nothing major, but we also had a nice surprise, the awning came with white LED lighting installed on the wall right from the factory (pic below), in addition to a porch light.

I immediately started our mods adding vent covers, in-line surge protector (pic below), whole house water filter (pic below), ceiling fan remote control, front basement LED strip lighting, and a few other odds and ends while the DW prepared and packed the inside. After 4 days we had it setup enough that we were able to make our first previously scheduled trip, but just barely.

We headed out on Friday up to Fort Worden in Port Townsend, WA and had a great first trip. The level up system worked great and really stabilized the trailer, but I'm sure the X chocks helped too. We had heavy rains during part of the trip, then gale force winds the next night and we were right on the edge of the beach. Although we were warm, the trailer rocked pretty good and the slide toppers rattled a lot. The good news is we had no damage at all from the winds. A great first trip to start our Montana adventures in.

The one bit of damage we had was during the setup. The bedroom slide was opened by remote, and as luck would have it, the lower cupboard door adjacent the bathroom wall, and closest to the drivers side opened. It jammed against the slide, bent the hinges, and gouged the door. Unfortunately, there is very little room (maybe 3") between the slide and door, so you can't tell easily if it opened. Needless to say we're coordinating a repair and have already applied velcro to all the other door handles. Of course we'll also double check each slide to make sure they're clear before opening from this point on.

All in all a great vehicle. Just have a few suspension questions I'll ask in another thread, and of course still more mods to complete. Now we're finally, officially, proud Montana Owners and have our license plate frame on to prove it (but no plates yet, LOL)!

Thanks to all who have offered advice and counsel on the vehicle, things to look for, recommended mods, PDI suggestions, etc! It really helped smooth out the first trip!!!

Awning Lights Surge Protector
Water Filter Access Door
Water Filter almost complete
Finally Camping!!!

One of our cats found a place to wait out the wind storm!

MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Nice looking rig Mark. Our High Country will be here in a few weeks, and I agree with you...everyone on here is extremely helpful. A local member even PM'd me, and offered to meet us at the show, and has answered multiple questions. I also feel more prepared to take delivery with the Pre Delivery Inspection lists.

Question on your Big Sky. Did it come with a feature called Max Turn? If so, I'm curious why you chose the slider hitch? I still have to purchase my hitch, but am being told that I will not need a slider for my 6.6 bed.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Congratulations! Sounds like y'all are haven't fun.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Glad the agonizing wait is over and that you are now enjoying camping. Sorry about the door mishap, but education is a process of learning from mistakes, been there, done that, as have the majority of us. Nice looking rig!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
You may want to sell the X Chocks. With the Level Up you will find that the X Chocks will get wedged between the tire and you will not be able to get them out. It occurs when you put the chocks in, level the coach, then put the coach down. The wheels move and wedge and sometimes raises the chocks where you cannot get them out. You need to go back to the regular ground chocks. Good luck.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations, great looking rig. Got to agree with Captain Joe on the chocks, been there and done that and it wasn't much fun. Like Bingo I've also been there on a cabinet door and have since taken the battery out of the remote (didn't use the other functions anyway) and open the slides manually from inside. May not totally prevent an occurrence, but I can hear a problem and stop much sooner. More mods to come? Let the fun begin!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Great to hear you are learning and loving your new Montana. Really cool that you have the bonus of LED awning lights installed from factory. For those of us waiting on new rigs I have to wonder if this is a new Big Sky standard or could it be standard on all Montanas from here on in, very interesting.

Thanks for posting and enjoy!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on your new rig, and the improvements you have added!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Congratulations! You did not waste anytime modding your rig. Looks great and enjoy!
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Congrats Mark and Debbie...NICE!!!!, yeah we have been going thru the same winds up here in Sequim and sometimes the sides move a little in and out on the BIG gusts and at Ocean Shores gusts up the 60MPH ,WE LOVE IT! Rock and Roll!! But we just smile and the Monty rocks some but always takes it and yes the toppers are always flapping like crazy,I just put a beach ball and wedge it up there and that stops it( do not forget to take it out)and also like Captain Joe says you might want to "86" the X chocks,Fort Warden is NICE!!! and Port Townsend is a cool town we were up there a few weeks ago
Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Congratulations on your new rig. Glad you are enjoying it. I hope you have many wonderful memories camping in it. Safe travels.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Just the beginning of a great adventure !
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
That's a really good question on the Max Turn. I don't think so. I had my hitch long before this rig, so just reusing it. I did do a 90 degree turn and I had about 12-14" of clearnace to the cab (estimate), and the hitch provides 14". I'd hate to have my trailer on the 6.6 without it. Send me a PM and I'll shoot you my PDI. Congrats again on your HC! You'll love it!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anglerdad

Nice looking rig Mark. Our High Country will be here in a few weeks, and I agree with you...everyone on here is extremely helpful. A local member even PM'd me, and offered to meet us at the show, and has answered multiple questions. I also feel more prepared to take delivery with the Pre Delivery Inspection lists.

Question on your Big Sky. Did it come with a feature called Max Turn? If so, I'm curious why you chose the slider hitch? I still have to purchase my hitch, but am being told that I will not need a slider for my 6.6 bed.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
LOL, you are so right. Did that in the driveway! I'm still not sure if they provide extra stability when installed after the level up is setup. I'll do some testing to see. It does say on them to only install them after you're level...now I know why!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

You may want to sell the X Chocks. With the Level Up you will find that the X Chocks will get wedged between the tire and you will not be able to get them out. It occurs when you put the chocks in, level the coach, then put the coach down. The wheels move and wedge and sometimes raises the chocks where you cannot get them out. You need to go back to the regular ground chocks. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Oh yeah, beach ball...GREAT idea! We're heading to cape disappointment in 2 weeks, so we'll see how it works out there! Thanks!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Congrats Mark and Debbie...NICE!!!!, yeah we have been going thru the same winds up here in Sequim and sometimes the sides move a little in and out on the BIG gusts and at Ocean Shores gusts up the 60MPH ,WE LOVE IT! Rock and Roll!! But we just smile and the Monty rocks some but always takes it and yes the toppers are always flapping like crazy,I just put a beach ball and wedge it up there and that stops it( do not forget to take it out)and also like Captain Joe says you might want to "86" the X chocks,Fort Warden is NICE!!! and Port Townsend is a cool town we were up there a few weeks ago
Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Thanks everyone for the good wishes! We're really excited with the purchase I'm trying to get as many mods in as I can before the next trip. I'll post more when complete.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Sorry for the late well wishes but I wanted to say congrats! We have a 3100RL as well but not the Big Sky model. Your rig is a real beauty! ENJOY!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Thanks Carol! We've been busy installing more LED lights and getting to know the rig. I think I've conked my head on that stupid power panel door 20 times. Gotta figure something out to keep my head from hitting it!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Sorry for the late well wishes but I wanted to say congrats! We have a 3100RL as well but not the Big Sky model. Your rig is a real beauty! ENJOY!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mark you think conking your head on the power panel door hurts, wait till he hit it on the bedroom slideout a couple of times! Not pleasant at all. Come on out to Nebraska and join us at the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally in July!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote