Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Yakima Highlite bike rack - Fail!

Edit, Let me apologize to Thule, I was so angry, I forgot the rack was a Yakima.. Back to the topic:

Moved the Montana about 10 miles today to a new site. Was excited to test my Direclink brake controller but did all my normal checks before I left. About 3 miles into my trip I hear a real faint tire skid then get flagged down by a passenger car. Pulled over to find my $350 bike rack decided to fold down and drag my bikes on the freeway. Destroyed two wheels and scratched the heck out of the bikes but everything survived. Now, I have zero faith in the rack. So much for buying the "Best."

Tomorrow I'll call Yakima and inform them and see what they have to say. My guess is "we are sorry you must have done something wrong." Seems to be a design issue. There's no cotter pin or other safety device to hold the "plunger" from popping up.

Anyway, if you have one of these racks it probably wouldn't hurt to secure the tilting portion to the ladder.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good info, thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a Thule, but not the Apex. Don't remember the model off hand. It does have a spring catch to hold the pin.

That is the reason I did not want mine on a rear hitch. I have been behind trailers with bikes on a rear hitch and watched them bouncing rather violently. Seems as though it would have to be hard on the bikes, the rack, and the hitch.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I agree with Bill. I've seen the effects on bicycles on the back of trailers rolling down the highway. There's a lot of bouncing around and I just won't trust any rack back there. I'm a Thule guy, and maybe it is a design issue, but I wouldn't put them back there anyway. I've used their roof rack systems for over 20 years without problems. Sorry about your incident and I hope you get it sorted out okay.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Moved the Montana about 10 miles today to a new site. Was excited to test my Direclink brake controller but did all my normal checks before I left. About 3 miles into my trip I hear a real faint tire skid then get flagged down by a passenger car. Pulled over to find my $350 bike rack decided to fold down and drag my bikes on the freeway. Destroyed two wheels and scratched the heck out of the bikes but everything survived. Now, I have zero faith in the rack. So much for buying the "Best."

Tomorrow I'll call Thule and inform them and see what they have to say. My guess is "we are sorry you must have done something wrong." Seems to be a design issue. There's no cotter pin or other safety device to hold the "plunger" from popping up.

Anyway, if you have one of these racks it probably wouldn't hurt to secure the tilting portion to the ladder.
Remind them of something called "Product Liability". And be glad you don't live in Michigan where the legislature passed a law restricting product liability to the point that is it completely useless.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Usually the rack is on the back of the Jeep but on occasion I have no choice but to put it on the Montana. Begs the question, if I did have it on my Jeep and took a rough dirt road should I expect it to drop my bikes? I certainly wouldn't when I purchased it, today I'd say there is a decent chance.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I have a Thule T2 and I have had some welding done to strengthen my RV hitch. It did have a lot of "spring" in it. Anyway, back to the subject, the T2 has a pin that is used to double lock the "pivot" mechanism. Also, the Thule, like most bike racks that are hitch mounted, claim they are not for RV use (Kuat & Saris).
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I have the Swagman 2-bike carrier and love it. Have made 2 coast to coast trips and 4 trips from Oregon to Arizona without a problem. Have the 1 1/4 receiver and works quite well.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Spoke with Yakima today. Turned out much better than I expected. They are sending a new rack and will investigate my rack when I return it to them. The've also asked that I supply pictures etc of the bikes along with two quotes to repair or replace. Then it goes to their claims department and a decision will be made within 8 weeks.

The main reason I purchased this rack was due to its weight. At 35 odd lbs i figured it would be good on the back of the Montana and not come anywhere close to max wight on the hitch. I still have little faith in the rack design but will use a cable and lock to secure it so that it won't fold down by itself.

We'll see what happens with the claim. Hopefully they stand up for their products.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
So sorry to hear you had those issues. I had a Yakima bike rack too, with a fold down option which failed on a trip in the SOB 5th wheel I had. I was lucking they in the folded down position it didn't hit the ground. I still had a lot of spring and consequently damage to the bikes during trips. I sold it with the trailer and bought a Thule T2 which I haven't regretted one bit. The bikes have no damage whatsoever. It's easy to get them on and off, and it provides added security when I'm parked with cable locks included on the rack. Couldn't be happier. On my 2014 3100RL it only cost me the price of a receiver (expensive the way I went, however), but I know it's solid now. I highly recommend the Thule T2 platform bike rack.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
N24005

M.O.C. #14246
Our 3402RL hitch bent 45 degrees and dragged one of 4 bikes on the NJ Turnpike.. Keystone replaced it with a beefier unit (and paid for a new bike tire) but I can't say I have a lot of trust in it.. What is the trailer hitch for if not for a bike rack or platform?

Our tow vehicle (2003 GMC 3500 dually) has a receiver up front. Are we better off using that for the bike rack? (The Thule rack on top of the truck already has the 2 kayaks....

T-minus 48 days until full-timing!

Thanks,
Jeff & Sue
N24005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
There was a riding couple parked next to us in Sisters, OR. They had a Yakima rack that folded up as well as down to allow access to the back of their toad. Don't remember the model of the rack.. but I was interested before they told me their story. The Red Button on the side of the rack that allows fold down would not stay in place. While they had no damage to their bikes when this happened.. it was always disconcerting to the guy and an unhappy feeling about the product. Apparently Yakima knows about it.. Not sure if newer models have had the problem resolved.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote