Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Iamnotlost

M.O.C. #29197
Freeze guard system.

My freeze guard nozzle has a spring loaded insert that apparently prevents mere gravity flow of the antifreeze. Pump won’t suction antifreeze. What should I do to get it to take on the antifreeze?

Iamnotlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Others have had the same question and I think some remove the spring inside the hose connection.

But all of us have found that the anti freeze, or whatever you are attempting to suction up in the the winterizing line (including sanitizing solutions), the bucket, or jug has to be at least level with the hose connection. If the jug or the bucket is lower, it won't suction up. Raise the jug (you may need help with a second person to do this), but the thing will start sucking up the antifreeze then.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Paul,

First - Welcome to the forum!

You will find it a lot easier to pump antifreeze in rather than trying to suck it in. There are both 12 & 120 volt pumps to add water to your freshwater tank or put antifreeze in.

I have never used antifreeze but do carry a water blade to refill my water tank when boondocking. I use a compressor to blow air out of the lines.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
You may have too long of water line. I have a hose that I cut off just to use for Winterizing. I have also found that I need an extra washer to get a tight seal. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You MUST have a good tight seal at the hose connection. Least air leak and it will not pull the antifreeze. Tight seal plus bucket at the level of the hose connection and it works great.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Yes, agree. I had to put an extra hose washer in the winterizing port to get a good air tight seal and set a bucket with the pink in it on my tailgate of our tv parked next to the trailer and it worked fine.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
kencare
Established Member

M.O.C. #9836
Just flip the cone washer around so the cone tip pushes the check valve open in the winterize port. You don't have to raise the jug, you don't raise the fresh water tank for the pump to suck the water.
The pump can't pull the check valve open, not enough force. Don't forget to flip the cone washer back around after your done winterizing.
kencare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencare View Post
Just flip the cone washer around so the cone tip pushes the check valve open in the winterize port. You don't have to raise the jug, you don't raise the fresh water tank for the pump to suck the water.
The pump can't pull the check valve open, not enough force. Don't forget to flip the cone washer back around after your done winterizing.

Thanks, I just tried that & it works perfect. I don't know why the valve has that strong of a spring.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote