Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Replacing slide out hydraulic lines

I have a 2012 3100rl Montana 5th wheel. The hydraulic lines for my 3 slide outs are what I am calling delaminanting where the rubber outlet skin is flaking off of the hydraulic line just below the valve that allows me to control which slide to turn on or off. The braided portion of the hose is showing. I am planning on replacing the hydraulic lines and was wondering if anyone here has done this and might have suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:34 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you have a Napa or other auto parts store locally, they can probably make new ones for you. Just remove one and take it to them for sizing. I have not replaced mine, but have read that's what others have done.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #3
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Thanks, I figure I’ll take them off, tag them and take them to have a local shop make new ones. After posting I did a search which helped
Thanks
Old 09-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The hyd line you get at Napa auto parts store or any place that builds hyd lines will be ten times the quality of the OEM lines...

When you get ready to remove each line use a string on one end and pull hose through with string attached to other end..

This way when you install replacement line the string will make your job MUCH easier...

Also.. Cover the end of the replacement line end with a piece of tape when you get ready to pull through so that crap doesn't get into the open fitting end.

You will most likely find that the OEM hoses are way too long and the excess is coiled up and stuffed under the coroplast... Each replacement line I had made for my three slide outs was about 5 feet too long .. shortening the new ones will save cost wise and you dont have all that excess laying up under the coroplast.

Images of my hose being replaced... The forward section of coroplast was dropped enough to locate the extend hose and untangle the excess coil of hose line while removing...

The two main hyd slide hoses ended up being made at about 25 feet of length each... OEM length was 30 feet.... I started to drop all the coroplast at the back end but after fighting with it and realizing my hyd fittings on the slide out cylinders were directly above the spare tire carrier bracket mount I lowered the spare and made a 3 sided cut in coroplast to gain access to both extend lines on each actuator rod end

Wife and I did this task together and it took about 2 hours to replace all 3 extend lines that were chaffed .. return lines were ok so we kept them as is for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	10237   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	10238   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	10239   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10240  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
Were the lines easy to bleed off the air when you got them attached to the cylinders?
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Chuck, thanks
I thought about using string, but didn’t think about taping over the ends of the new hoses. I dropped my chloroplast in the front as well and ended taking my spare tire rack off and cut the chloroplast on the back section as well. I’m planning on pulling the hoses Monday and taking them down to a local shop in town to have new hoses made. All of my hoses are black so I was going to have orange hoses made for the retract hoses. Appreciate the help.
Steve
Old 10-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #7
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our3820FK View Post
Were the lines easy to bleed off the air when you got them attached to the cylinders?
Because of the nature of double acting cylinders, they are essentially self bleeding. Just run the slides in and out a couple of times and refill the reservoir.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That thin plastic cover on the OEM hoses does nothing for the strength of the hose. If the orange or black hose is not leaking or bulging, there really isn’t any reason to replace them. We had one short hose from the pump to the manifold that was bulging a number of years ago, and I replaced it with a much shorter hose made by a local auto parts shop. They will not carry the thin hoses.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Steve,

Bob is giving you good advice. I don't see a need to replace it if its not leaking.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up replacing the hydraulic lines and finished up the job last week. I changed the fluid out in the reservoir and replaced the lines. I ran the slides in and out about 3-4 times per day for 3 days to purge the air from the system. Not sure why or how but the slides have not been creeping out since I changed out the hydraulic lines. I’m thinking maybe some debris was dislodged from one of the valves when I flushed out and changed the fluid?

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Steve
Old 10-08-2021, 07:10 AM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up replacing the hydraulic lines and finished up the job last week. I changed the fluid out in the reservoir and replaced the lines. I ran the slides in and out about 3-4 times per day for 3 days to purge the air from the system. Not sure why or how but the slides have not been creeping out since I changed out the hydraulic lines. I’m thinking maybe some debris was dislodged from one of the valves when I flushed out and changed the fluid?

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Steve
The hydraulic slides are creeping out because you still have some residual air in those lines to those cylinders or lines.. cycle the slides open and close and wait a few minutes.. then repeat process again WAITING a few minutes after each cycle to allow air bubbles to diminish…

I’ve replaced two hyd slide lines and took a bit to get all the air purged..

** the slides are held closed via hydraulic pressure so any air will cause them to slowly creep out a bit
Old 10-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
First image shows cross section of Lippert orange extend hose .

Second image shows small chaff thru outer orange covering.. the hose LEAKED like a sieve…

Replaced with 1 strand braided hyd hose from NAPA

I have had two hydraulic extend lines with same appearance that both leaked where the outer coating was damaged yet the inner sheathing appeared ok..

I wouldn’t screw around with an extend hose if the coating is damaged replace the line
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6394D8AD-AEF4-4BC0-880F-AD7537A51905.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	10316   Click image for larger version

Name:	87AED156-C5D5-4DED-97AC-1FB15AC1AE4F.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	10317