Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Who Makes Your Tools

I wasn’t sure where to post this as a general tool topic so I’ll just leave it here. Ever wonder who makes your tools? You might be surprised. Hope everyone has a great day. 😷

https://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I've seen this in the past. Looks like there are fewer individually made tools/companies every year with Stanley - Black&Decker still leading the pack. As much as I try, I avoid that conglomerate but it's getting harder and harder. My old standbys., like Porter Cable and Dewalt have been turned into low end tho not their pricing
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Elevguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #21345
Milwaukee for electric ones. Snap on for hand tools
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
... My old standbys., like Porter Cable and Dewalt have been turned into low end tho not their pricing
I have some older PC tools, and they are nice for sure, but don't have any newer ones, so I can't speak to their quality.

The DeWalt tools have been turned into what I would call more of a "full range" type of tool. While they do have some lower quality stuff, they also have some upper end stuff too. It is all about price. If a DeWalt drill costs $120, it's going to be a $120 drill. If it costs $300, it's going to be a formidable tool. So, you have to know what you're getting and where you want to be on the spectrum when you buy them.

Generally speaking, most of the brushless motor stuff that comes in the black hard side cases is the higher end DeWalt stuff. I own several of the these tools that fit the higher end of the specturm, and they have absolutely been beasts of tools, but they do cost a lot...
Old 06-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
You don't know who's who of who's who anymore. 99.9% of the tool's I buy today I get at Harbor Freight (Automotive type) and then Home Depot for wood working tool's. Makess my llife easier.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most of us are not Professionals and don't need top quality tools that will last forever in everyday use. So for our once or twice a year use Harbor Freight tools work just fine.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
You don't know who's who of who's who anymore. 99.9% of the tool's I buy today I get at Harbor Freight (Automotive type) and then Home Depot for wood working tool's. Makess my llife easier.
HF has really stepped up it's game over the last few years. They have a lot of tools that are respectable for the average home user. Not professional quality, but good enough for everyday use. At a 1/3 the cost, if it breaks, you get another one.
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Most of us are not Professionals and don't need top quality tools that will last forever in everyday use. So for our once or twice a year use Harbor Freight tools work just fine.
I fully agree. If I was using my tools for my livelyhood, I might buy the expensive ones. But for the occasional use I have used mine for for so many years, the less expensive ones work fine. I have a real mixed bag of brands, some of which I have never heard of, that I have accumulated over the years. And as far as hand tools, I have never had one fail. And only 2-3 power tools have ever failed. And that covers 50+ years. Yeah, I got some old ones.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #9
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevguy View Post
Milwaukee for electric ones. Snap on for hand tools

I also am slowly transitioning my electric tools for all Milwaukee. I have been having the best luck with them. As for my hand tools, I have started using Kobalt from Lowe's. Being just a shadetree mechanic and handyman, they seem to do the job I need.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve saw some independent testing if Harbor Freight Ican tools. They performed as great as the tool truck, read Snapon, tools. I saw one test of torque wrenches the Icon beat the Snapon in every test and cost 1/3. Of course this is one tool the next test with two different tools might be reversed but HF has come a long way.
We use DeWalt battery operated tools in the shop and have a half dozen drills. The reason we use them is we have many batteries. We use them very light duty so they almost never wear out. If I had to replace them all I’d get HF Hercules. I have one of them. It came with a 2.5 AH battery where the DeWalts have a 1.5 AH battery. That is a two edged sword the bigger battery makes it heavy and if you pick it up a few hundred times a day it makes a BIG difference at quitting tire.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not a tool guy or doing things yourself guy. We have a bunch of tools gathered over the years and really have little idea who makes them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I've had several 1/2 drive battery powered drills. The first one was waaaay back when these were not much more then a toy. The next was s P-C that was s work horse until the clutch blew. A couple low enders that went to the dump after premature battery failures then I went wild and bought a Bosch. Fantastic drill but the batteries are no longer available except as $15 Chinese 'compatibles'. While these batteries areOK, not great but for a year keeps this tool going. I also have a new DeWalt that I bought while waiting a couple 'compatible' batteries for the Bosch. A $200+ buck ho hum drill. Yes. it has power but the variable speed control 'sucks', it's rough running and the 2.0 AH batteries are way too much money and really don't last as long as the clunk NiCD's on the ancient Bosch.

Hand tools - dang but I really love my Snap on, S-K, MAC and early Craftsman but my wallet says that Harbor Freight will outlast me now.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
As someone who has made their living with tools in hand every single day for 30+ years, I find the replies here intriguing. I can't even put a number on the tools I've bent, broken, stripped, burned out or simply lost.

I can say this with confidence; Some of you guys don't own cheater pipes.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We use DeWalt battery operated tools in the shop and have a half dozen drills. The reason we use them is we have many batteries. We use them very light duty so they almost never wear out. If I had to replace them all I’d get HF Hercules. I have one of them. It came with a 2.5 AH battery where the DeWalts have a 1.5 AH battery. That is a two edged sword the bigger battery makes it heavy and if you pick it up a few hundred times a day it makes a BIG difference at quitting tire.
Lynwood
You are right about the trade off power vs. weight, but DeWalt makes all different flavors of batteries too. All if mi Li-ion batteries are 5.0 AH. Heavy, yes, but I never change them. They last forever...
Old 06-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
... I can't even put a number on the tools I've bent, broken, stripped, burned out or simply lost.

LOL. I have lost so many tools too, it's not funny, and I'm not even a pro!

Cheaters are great until they come off or break!!!
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Why do people lose/wreck tools? I probably have lost - maybe - a dozen and I worked full and part tine in garages from the age of ~16 to ~50 and heavy DIY since. I did have a tray of MAC wrenches stolen and as well as a boxed set of S_K 3/8" drive flex sockets by customers. I've broken a few sockets, mostly 1/2, 9/16 and 13/16" but only recall one broken Snap-on wrench which was then a free replacement.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #17
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I have Milwaukee cordless, Craftsman hand tools that I've had for years, and lately I've been shopping more at Harbor Freight. I'm even thinking of getting the cordless 80V mower and other gardening tools from them, which have great reviews, and great pricing vs. the stuff from Home Depot and Lowes.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Why do people lose/wreck tools? I probably have lost - maybe - a dozen and I worked full and part tine in garages from the age of ~16 to ~50 and heavy DIY since. I did have a tray of MAC wrenches stolen and as well as a boxed set of S_K 3/8" drive flex sockets by customers. I've broken a few sockets, mostly 1/2, 9/16 and 13/16" but only recall one broken Snap-on wrench which was then a free replacement.
I've lost most of mine out of stupidity. Leave them on fender of the car as you close the hood and drive off kind of thing.

All of the broken ones are misuse, plain and simple. Using a cheater on a 1/2" ratchet. At least it was a Craftsman, and has a life time warranty...
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:

People lose/wreck tools because they use them daily. They are not sitting in a tool box or drawer.

Big difference in going to the same job site day in and day out vs perhaps 3 or 4 different job sites in a single day. Big difference in walking 15 feet from your tool box to the project vs troubleshooting inside an entire plant, a half mile of conveyor belt or climbing a 150' tower. I've spent half my life on a scissor lift, bucket truck or on a ladder. Many tools have dropped to never be seen again. Many others to explode on impact. My tools are used and abused daily. Its expected and simply part of the job.

I wasn't smart enough to land a desk job and my tools are not the only thing that's been abused.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
As someone who has made their living with tools in hand every single day for 30+ years, I find the replies here intriguing. I can't even put a number on the tools I've bent, broken, stripped, burned out or simply lost.

I have your pipe's , wood, you name it I have used a cheater bar made out of something i had laying round me. One of the reason's for HF. If your break it you don't really care. Go get another one....

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote