Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Skirt popped out of black gasket

Stopped at a Walmart this afternoon and noticed a section of the roadside skirting had popped out of the black rubber gasket. DW figured out to pop it back in. Don’t know if this is common or not. I’m glad I found it before any damage occurred. Even with it popped back in place it felt sorta flimsy. Right or wrong - I caulked along the bottom edge of the gasket with silicone hopefully to give it a little help to stay in place. Does this happen often and what is the correct fix? The pic below was taken after DW had snapped much of it back in place...
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2157D52-DFF4-40B3-BC98-074CCC76256E.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	1907

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Happened to me at speed but mine came loose the same place yours did but came out all the way to the fender and flapping in the wind like a flag. Pulled over got it back in and gorilla tape it until we got to campground and next day siliconed it all over and seemed to work for me .Good luck with it just keep checking as i do.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We’ve had this happen a lot. In fact, just noticed today the panel just forward of the door was out. The problem seems like they didn’t assemble the aluminum quite high enough to completely secure the panel with the metal strip and screws. I did the rear panel a while back, removed all the screws and nudged the panel up enough to get screws into it, and since it hasn’t come loose. This section will be my next project, as it’s drifting down below the pass through door trim.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Securing skirt panel

Rohrman - did you add screws along top edge? When I first surveyed the issue my first thought was “why didn’t they attach this with screws along the top and use the gasket to cover the screws?” What structure is behind there if screws are used along the top?

I wanted to put some gorilla tape on it for additional insurance while the silicone cured but DW was worried the tape might pull off some paint so I did not use the tape. It held fine for the final 40 mile leg to the campground.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
This was a very common thing starting in late '15 with Montanas. Mine has done it twice and our dealer says they repair 3-4 a month on average. Just like mentioned above, screws will keep them there, not the staples they had in mine originally.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Ours have an aluminum strip that is screwed on, and the rubber strip snaps on the aluminum to cover the screws. The problem I have is the panel wasn’t mounted high enough so the screws actually went through it.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
I have the same problem on my bedroom slide in our 3711fl. The dealer had to replace the original "J " metal panel because the damaged it installing my slide toppers. The panel pops out just like the photo shown. I removed the rubber and aluminum strip and refastened it with clear silicon applied to the top and bottom of the rubber. I looked at it again the other day and it was popped out again! I now know what the problem is- the sun hits that panel all afternoon and heats it up to the point of expansion and buckles the panel. So the dealer cut the "J" metal to long on the sides where it is attached to the slide vertical molding and the metal when hot has to go somewhere. I am going to wait for a cooler day and completely remove the whole apparatus, trim the sides of a 1/4 inch or so and reattach. That should take care of it. No other panel on our rig has this problem except the one touched by the dealer who I fired when the one year warranty was up on our newest rig of the three we purchased from them.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote