Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Sorry but my humorous side has to ask. Do they make a model with a Bidet? I hope I spelled that right, spellcheck cleared it so I must have!

gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Save yourself some money and do not buy RV paper...it's no different than some of the others. Same for any additive to the black tank other than something that might help the emptying process, like Calgon. If you toilet is properly installed and vented, there will be no odor...just like there is no odor at home.
[/quote]

...If you want to have issues with you holding tank and gate valves then go ahead and use regular toilet paper. You may get away with it for a long time but you will pay the price in the long run...
[/quote]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We've been RVing since the 70s and have never used RV toilet paper and have never had a problem emptying the black tanks of any of our RVs. I think the key is using lots of water when flushing the toilet.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Save yourself some money and do not buy RV paper...it's no different than some of the others. Same for any additive to the black tank other than something that might help the emptying process, like Calgon. If you toilet is properly installed and vented, there will be no odor...just like there is no odor at home.
...If you want to have issues with you holding tank and gate valves then go ahead and use regular toilet paper. You may get away with it for a long time but you will pay the price in the long run...
[/quote]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We've been RVing since the 70s and have never used RV toilet paper and have never had a problem emptying the black tanks of any of our RVs. I think the key is using lots of water when flushing the toilet.
[/quote]

When I used the built-in "sanitizer" and before I educated my co-pilot on the use of plenty of H2O, I had black tank issues. Now that my 2IC uses lots of water and I use the Flush King every 5 days, I've eliminated the problems associated with the dreaded Black Tank. It's not the paper folks ... it's the attention to detail.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite
Sorry but my humorous side has to ask. Do they make a model with a Bidet? I hope I spelled that right, spellcheck cleared it so I must have!
Only models made in France...

We were fortunate. We had black tank problem at the Rally a couple years ago and the Service Center not only replaced our black tank, but they came to me to ask if they could re-plumb it. Not sure what all they did (beside giving us a present of a brand new tall toilet - not a "bidet").

Not sure how they are putting them in now compared to 2007?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Buy septic safe TP any brand at any store and have for years. use lots of water and never a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We agree with Rich. We use any brand of septic safe paper. With the dump system I mentioned earlier we can watch what happens to the paper. Most is broken up before it reaches the discharge. The instant it comes in contact with the water jet it liquefies to flow through the hose. Our test with a new brand is to put one sheet in a glass of water. Swish it around and see if it disintegrates.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Originally posted by gkidsdlite

I used to have a model that had a Bidet, but it was in a small compartment outside by the hookups. It was attached to a short hose.......I think it is listed on the spec sheet as an outside shower lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The more water. the better.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I thought the bidet was the hose with the nozzle attached to the toilet
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Late to this thread, but we use the Costco paper. We did the test with 1/4 cup water in a jar, add one sheet of paper, shake for 15 seconds, and see if it breaks apart. I'm sure most of you already know this, I just learned it this past year. The Costco paper liquefied, just like the RV paper did (tested both). I agree lots of water is probably a top 5 in keeping the black tank clean, but I think a thorough cleaning each trip with some type of tank jet system is also a must to stop buildup.

We take our cats camping (long story, but they're indoor only) and I made a critical mistake that caused a huge odor problem. My wife loves our cats more than she loves me, I'm fairly certain, so we have a corn based clumping litter, not clay. At home we flush this down the toilet into the septic tank and have not had any issues in 13 years (pumped twice already, all OK). However, in the trailer it became a huge odor problem and I think it began to ferment, or something. Now our previous 5th wheel was a Laredo, so maybe the venting system wasn't as good, but even on a 1 week camping trip it became an issue.

It took multiple tank flushes before I could get it to run clear (after getting a Rhino clear 45 degree adapter), and we've never put that litter down the trailer toilet since. I also thoroughly flush the tank after each trip. Long and short, don't put anything down the toilet that didn't come from you or the toilet roll!

The only reason I mentioned this is that although the litter took time to clear, there was no sign of toilet paper. I also learned from the shake test that Kleenex doesn't break up, so put it in the garbage can. On the new Monte, I plan to continue to use Costco (good quality and inexpensive) TP, use regular flushing, and monitor the dump to make sure it's running clear.

I also like the macerators that attach to the tank outlet, but I would prefer it if there was a way to make that a permanent install, instead of putting it inline each time.

Is it appropriate to ask what type of sewer hose people prefer, or should I start a new thread?

Mark
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #31
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Oh, one more question, I saw several of you use Calgon. How does that assist with the black tank issues/chemistry???
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #32
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Calgon is a water softener and makes the water and everything in it very slippery. Really helps keep crud from building up inside the tank and also helps keep level sensors clean.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #33
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Charmin Basic. Septic safe and you can find it everywhere. Liquid Calgon for the valves and Happy Camper for the treatment.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote