Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2024, 10:59 AM   #1
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
Extended warranty plans

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good extended warranty company. My dealer offered easycare for 2999.99. For
my new 2022 3823ms. I found a rv guard/no cost for 2100 online . Good sam was 4100. I am leary of these extended warranties. I also thought that I would just buy the extended warranty on my 2118 norcold refrigerator and just set aside a repair fund. I just want to make a good decision before buying one or not. My old 2005 2955rl was alot less high tech. I never really had any issues with it.I hope this one will be the same .

Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:13 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Pat,

Recommend you save your $ by self insuring.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
/\ /\ /\ This...

For most issues, you'll find very knowledgeable help here within the MOC family if needed
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:43 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These plans are designed for the company and the agent to make money after all the expenses. If you get one make sure you know what it will pay for and just or more importantly what it won’t pay for. Read the plan carefully.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:04 PM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I've told people on facebook that are buying campers a hundred times....."take your $3000.00 and put it in the bank". When something breaks, use the cash and fix it.

You will be happier in the end! I promise.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:00 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We put $5000 in an account 9 years ago, and it's still there.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:21 PM   #7
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Extended warranties are a bad investment. Very few people ever come out ahead when comparing money spent on the warranty to what paying for repairs out of pocket would have cost. Save your money. Set it aside in a bank account and pull from there if/when you do need repairs.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:20 PM   #8
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Extended warranties - don't

Personal experience with our first Montana (2011) out of warranty. We experienced a black tank failure and two broken frame cross members above the axels. Our truck insurance, which extended to our trailer (towed vehicle) covered the repair although it was labeled a "collision" in fact, there was no collision but that's how the insurance company was able to pay for repairs. Most policies have a deductible, usually $1,000 check your vehicle insurance and see if it covers towed vehicles. This may be an option to protect you against catastrophic or very expensive repairs. Anything less than $1,000 or a minor repair can easily be covered yourself. Even hiring a mobile tech to come and make these adjustments or repairs will be cheaper than paying for an extended warranty.
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:44 PM   #9
Rnjmurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #32951
I have to disagree!! I have a Goodsams premium care. It costs me $650 yearly for 7 years with a $300 deductible. So far it has paid for a new frig, new hydraulic piston on the slide out, new front a/c, new heat pump, new leaking tank valves. Plus labor and trip charge for all of this. Do the math!!!! I have had Goodsams on all my rigs never had an issue. They have several policies MADE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR POLICY. they have several policies and some are inclusionary meaning if is not listed they don’t pay. Then they have an exclusionary which means if it’s not specifically excluded it’s covered. The problem with all they policies is people don’t know what there buying.
Rnjmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:29 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
“Do the math.” You had Good Sam on all your “rigs” and never used it for all of your campers and now you have a camper that you have used the policy a lot but how much have you paid in total for all of your campers?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:54 PM   #11
Rnjmurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #32951
Not true before my Montana I had a carriage 5 wheel for 15 years. Good Sam’s paid for a bunch 3 a/c 2 heat pumps 2 frig’s new black tank, slide out motor furnace. Got my money s worth!!!!!! Generally I agree extended warranty’s are a wast of money but NOT ON RV’s. Especially if you keep your rig and use it.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:05 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions of a good extended warranty company. My dealer offered easycare for 2999.99. For
my new 2022 3823ms. I found a rv guard/no cost for 2100 online . Good sam was 4100. I am leary of these extended warranties. I also thought that I would just buy the extended warranty on my 2118 norcold refrigerator and just set aside a repair fund. I just want to make a good decision before buying one or not. My old 2005 2955rl was alot less high tech. I never really had any issues with it.I hope this one will be the same .
I bought an extended warranty, otherwise known as an extended service plan, When I bought my used 5er, I was new to the fifth wheel world, so I bought my warranty on an unusual discount from the dealer. That’s another long story, but in the end, it wasn’t as cost effective as having been self insured even with a big discount on the plan. I did use it for some things and one major slide repair. I must say it did give me some piece of mind knowing I was covered for any major repairs so that had value that is hard to put a $ on. If you decide you really want one, google the topic and search the internet. There are “brokers” that sell several different companies and plans. Get some quotes first and do some comparisons on price and coverage. Key points: most importantly, check to see what is NOT covered. Read this part very carefully. It’s probably more important than what is covered. Secondly, what labor rate will they pay for repairs. If your labor rate is higher than what the warranty covers, you are on the hook for the rest. That can really add up. Also your deductible. Many plans will only cover “one event” so if you try to get multiple things covered at once, you may have to cover multiple deductibles. They are in the business to deny as many claims as they can, so there can be some debates trying to get things covered. In the end, once my coverage ends at the end of this year, I WILL NOT buy another plan. I will self insure. Having known then what I know now, I would have self insured from the beginning. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:27 PM   #13
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
You buy a warranty for the same reason you buy life insurance. You hope you never need it. That said, when we had our 3931FB we had Wholesale Warranties. If you FT IMHO they are worthless.

The problem with warranties is not the warranty but getting service. We lived FT in our monty for 3 years. In the 3 years we lived on the road I performed every repair on our rig except to repair the ice damage from the deep freeze of 2021. FEMA covered most of that cost. What we discovered was it took not just weeks to get repairs made through a dealer, but most times 1 to 2 months. If you live in your RV FT a prerequisite is being able to make repairs on the road by YOURSELF or with the DW.

I remember coming back from FL and looking in the side mirror to see coroplast, wires and tubing hanging down from under the door. The coroplast had come loose from the staples and was hanging down, flapping as we drove. We found a Home Depot, bought self tapping lug bolts and fender washers. We then drove to the nearest interstate rest stop (as it was almost 5pm). I disconnected and crawled under the rig to make the repair and spend the night. Many of you have seen my posts on repairs to the refrigerator, half bath door and others. When you have no place to live but your monty self knowledge, your own ability and this forum is absolutely a must. Otherwise you're in for a miserable time.

The freeze of 2021 busted faucets, toilets, and the water pump. We were outside Ft Worth (Parker Co) when the County lost power. Parker Co didn't get electricity on for 10 days. At the time we didn't have a generator so everything froze up. Once it thawed we took it to United RV in Ft Worth (which I highly recommend) I had built a good working relationship with them buying parts. We moved into an extended stay hotel and it took 2 months to get it repaired through FEMA. The big delays were getting approval from FEMA for the repairs and a shortage of parts. Once United had the parts it only took 3-4 days to make the repairs. This is where a good working relationship with a good dealer comes into play. They were willing to move us up in line because of the relationship.

I know this was long. But warranties for FT RVing is useless. If you're mechanically or technically challenged, take your money and enroll in an RV repair class. It will be better spent. Just my $0.02 worth.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:14 PM   #14
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
We purchased an extended warranty on our 2020 Cougar. Like others have said, it was worthless. We were in CA for a couple months and our converter went bad on a Friday night. Saturday morning we woke up to no 12v power at all. We couldn't operate the slides, no heat, no lights, etc. I called Camping World (who we bought the warranty through) and they told me to "just bring the trailer in" so they could diagnose it. After explaining I couldn't put the slides in to tow it to them, they told me to call a mobile repair. Of course, none of the mobile repair guys worked weekends in the area we were in, so I drove an hour to the nearest Camping world, bought the exact replacement from them and installed it myself. When I tried to do a warranty claim they denied it because an authorized service provider didn't diagnose and replace it. So if we wanted to be covered, we would have had to wait for 12v power for 2+ days until a mobile repair service could get to us.

The warranty was $4k and the converter was $350. When we got back home, the first thing I did was march back into Camping World to get a refund on the remainder of the extended warranty. Of course, it took 3 months to get my money back. These dealer sold warranties are just empty promises and an easy buck for them to make. I personally will never buy one again.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:28 PM   #15
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnjmurray View Post
I have to disagree!! I have a Goodsams premium care. It costs me $650 yearly for 7 years with a $300 deductible. So far it has paid for a new frig, new hydraulic piston on the slide out, new front a/c, new heat pump, new leaking tank valves. Plus labor and trip charge for all of this. Do the math!!!! I have had Goodsams on all my rigs never had an issue. They have several policies MADE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR POLICY. they have several policies and some are inclusionary meaning if is not listed they don’t pay. Then they have an exclusionary which means if it’s not specifically excluded it’s covered. The problem with all they policies is people don’t know what there buying.
Good point
I'm a Good Sam lifetime member. I'll post a link to the plan you mentioned. You have to be a good Sam club member as a prerequisite to signing up. In addition, the cost to join is variable based on multiple factors. Still it's worth at least getting a quote. Be sure to READ what is and is not covered.
Sincerely;
Thanks for the tip.

https://www.goodsamesp.com/fifth-whe...nded-warranty/
c2itcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:50 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Below is a Post I made a few years ago about my experience with the EZ Care Warranty (an inclusive policy) In addition to the leaky galley tank, I had a black tank replaced before the warranty expiration. That pushed the total invoice cost of repairs over $13,000. I did not renew for a third time as I figured everything was in good shape, I would be replacing the RV in a year or so (that didn't happen), and the renewal cost jumped a lot. Unfortunately, subsequent frame flex problems indicate I should have paid the cost (assuming they would cover it).

========================================

I bought an EZCare plan when I bought my 2012 3700. They have always been easy and pleasant to work with. My dealer recommends them and I have used two mobile repair guys who coordinated repairs though them The mobile guys like them because they pay immediately for approved repairs. I had repairs of over $12K with them (refer replace, tanks repair, Nylon slide bar replace, five broken cables...) with never a hassle (other than they don't pay for shipping). I was so pleased I bought another one when the first one expired. In less than a year I have about half my money back in repairs and I now have a leaky galley tank that will be replaced. I fully expect the plan to pay for it self before it expires.

My original plan cost $1,200 and my second was $1,600. I have receipts for over $12,000 worth of repairs. YMMV

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:55 PM   #17
Dgeisser
Established Member

M.O.C. #26900
I recently had my 2118 refer burn up . Wires melted into refer . Not sure why. Extra-ride extended service plan ($3800 for 7 years)paid for a new refer . NorCold, as many know ,doesn’t make the 2118 absorption refer any longer . Service center charged $6k for the N20dc 12v refer alone . I’ve used the plan several times previously and I’m money ahead . It’s a roll of the dice.
Dgeisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 07:07 AM   #18
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I never buy warranties, except for our 2020. I knew we were going to be on the road allot (back and forth between FL and CA every year) and not sitting in a park most of the time. I bought EZCare from the dealer and it has paid for itself and more with 3 hydraulic lifts, a hydraulic pump, 2 Schwintek motors and a heater issue. The more you bounce it around the more things will come loose or just fail.

If it's going to sit most of the time or be a weekend/whenever rig then no (my opinion) I would not buy a warranty, like others said put that money in the bank, something will break that you cant fix yourself. Even those of us that can fix most things get to a point where we just don't want to deal with it anymore.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:56 AM   #19
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
NEVER get an extended warranty. As others have said many times above, put than money into a high interest savings account for a maintenance fund and let it earn interest. Use it IF you need it. Remember the house always wins.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:57 PM   #20
Rnjmurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #32951
To help with your decision on which extended warranty to buy talk to several mobile rv tech’s they will quickly tell you which ones pay and which ones they hate. I have talked to several and it seems Goodsams esp and cornerstone are well liked.