Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Tarantulas!?

A couple years ago while traveling East on I-40, at the last rest stop in Oklahoma, I spotted a very large Tarantula wondering around the reception building. Then, a couple weeks ago while traveling East on The Cherokee Turnpike in Oklahoma, I encountered another Tarantula wondering around that rest stop. So, what's going on here? Do you suppose Tarantulas use rest stops or are they just trying to get the heck out of Oklahoma?

Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Maybe they moved out of Texas. Used to be a common sight around here. Can't even remember the last time I saw one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Oklahoma DOT has been importing tarantulas for years now. They put them in the rest areas to discourage people from loitering.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Flymutt, how are you not sure this was not the same tarantula? I hear they move pretty fast.

Here's some (not all) explanations:

1. Oklahoma is on their migration pattern.

2. Have you been to Texas, wouldn't you head to Oklahoma? (I was born in Texas and made a stupid move to California)

3. Ever been to Kansas? Same thing as Texas but from the other direction. (Lots of Kansas MOCers but you'll notice they leave Kansas all the time, but then they go back?)

4. Oklahoma gets tarantulas, California gets Black Widows. I'd rather have tarantulas.

5. I love tarantulas, but never with hot sauce because it takes away from the flavor.

6. Oklahoma is the center of the United States. Tarantulas are always trying to be in the center of something.

7. Did the tarantula have a vest? Did you not look close enough to see if it was a Welcome to Oklahoma greeter?

Just some thoughts...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I still have them here at my house. I think there is a bed of them beside my garage. I usually only see them dead or dying, may be from my pesticide spraying for other non desirable critters. But just found one on my patio last week. Usually only get the ones that are about the size of a 50 cent piece but have a pic of one that was the size of my wifes fist.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Heck, all we have in Virginia is stink bugs. We feel left out.
Lunwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My guess would be that with the cuts in state spending those are the new exterminators used by the state of OK at their rest stops.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
My brother and I had a great time on a trip from East Texas to California when we were just kids. Somewhere out in the Texas badlands we stopped at a rest stop that was teeming with tarantulas. We had a great time playing with them. There were so many that the road was literally coated with smashed tarantulas. It was a sight to see! We've taken the same route many times since but never have encountered such an event again. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
they are here in east new mexico just crossing i 40 heading south like the rest of us
where do they migrate to?
how far can they jump
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote