Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Boliy 3600

Hi gang,I have been looking at this 3600 Boliy electric start gen, and was wondering if any of you had any experience or know anyone that has. I have considered the 2000 hondas , and know they are tough to beat , however I really wont need them that often ( maybe only two or three times a year ). 95% of the time we are in full hook up sites, but several times a year we could really use them , as well as any emergency that may occur. This thing looks good on paper, it only wieghs70#, is realitivly quite , and according to several other sites , they have really improved sincr they were introduced several years ago. They are in there 6th generation and are selling for around 1000.00 , that and it will fit below the bed rails in my truck. Just looking for your thoughts , good or bad. Thanks ...Scott

Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I love my hondas and know if I need to sell them there will be resale value.
Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice specs! Unfortunately 70 lbs is too much for me to want to lift into my truck bed, similar to the Honda 3000. That's why I went with two 50 lb EU2000s with a parallel cable. I do like that this 3000W unit fits under the bed rails unlike the Honda EU3000.

These seem to be popping up in a lot of RV stores lately so they are getting distribution which makes for eventual popularity. But that's only my opinion because it seems they've been around for some time in some fashion.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I fought with which one to go with myself. No real plan to use them a lot but one never knows. So I just held off and one day on Craigslist a pair of eu2000's with the parallel cable was being sold. Claimed it only had been used once for $1500.00. I made a deal with the guy at $1400.00 and am now pleased that I waited. One of what i call my better deals. Both start on 2nd pull every time.

Hang in there, keep your eyes and ears open, it will come to you.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Someone on the forum was actually looking at possibly becoming a representative and selling these. Their first responses were not so great, and I haven't seen a follow-up posting from them in a while. Now saying that, I do own both a Kipor and a Honda, and have never had a problem from either one (other than trying to run too many pancake griddles at a rally!!).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Here is the latest generator discussion on RV.net (Click on link, below). It starts off with the Honda and finishes with the Boliy. I really like all of the features of the Boliy and I plan on purchasing it in the near future as soon as I sell my trailerable Houseboat. http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...d/24570375.cfm
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Thanks to all who have responded, like I said this will be for occasional use, and emergencys (the Princess loves full hook ups}that being said, the folks on some of the other forums seemd to have had good luck with the newer generation of the Boliy, and In the event that we want or need to use the A/C , this has the capability, without having to buy two 2000 Hondas or Yamahas, and the electric start is a nice feature if my DW needs to start it and I am not around. The 3000 Honda is a beast to move around.The local distribution center for Boliy is right here in San Diego, so warranty or service to the unit isnt an issue for me.

Art , I know what you mean about lifting them , however the Boliy is almost half the wieght of the 3000 Honda, and only 20lbs more than the 2000, and will run 1 air without the need for another generator.

Bingo, I know they had some issues when they first came out a few years ago, and they are now in there 6th generation,and seem to have addressed some of the earlier problems. Distribution is becoming greater, and they claim that the occurance of problem units is less than 5%, who really knows.Wish the Rv industry was that good..lol

Champ, I know how you feel , I have been procrastinating for a couple of years, and the Hondas and Yamahas are certainly hard to beat. Although I am watching my spending just like everyone these days, its not really a money issue , more of size , wieght ,and dimension, as well as how much I will use it.

Joe thanks , I read a lot of those and the concensus seems to be what I mentioned earlier, the early units had some growing pains , and the newer units are doing much better.

For me , the jury is still out , but so far I am encouraged by what I have read. Look forward to more input from all of you. Thanks ..Scott
Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For clarification purposes only, I was under the impression that the new Honda 3000 only weighs in at about 77 pounds. I am not trying to persuade or dissuade anyone, just trying to relate that a lot of personal research and verification needs to be done, after all there is only one person that has to be happy with the final decision (that is not counting the DW, since she is always above counting!!). Personally, I am ecstatic with our Onan 5.5 built in that I don't have to lift a generator again for RV usage!! The propane bottles are a different matter though. If you or anyone decides on the Boliy, keep us informed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Bingo, the standard Honda 3000 wieghs 135lbs, they came out with another one that is lighter called the Handi,but it doesnt produce as much constant power as the Boliy , and the other draw back is the hieght, it wont fit under the bed rails in my truck, so I wouldnt be able to use my rolling bed cover. Look , I am in know way discounting the Honda or Yamaha products , they have proven to be among the best, no question, I am just looking at this boliy, because it seems to have a lot to offer for a guy like me that will only use it on occasion . I will keep all of you posted , one way or the other, thanks Bingo...Scott

On edit, Bingo take a look here www.boliyguy.com
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I'm rated as a Class A skeptic, and reading the marketing drivel for the Boliy doesn't give me much confidence about their generator. And, taking 65 pounds out of a solid performing unit like the Honda, and 85 pounds out of the Yamaha (from changes to the generator and case, according to Boliy), raises a very big red flag. That's 20 pounds more than the weight of the Honda 2000. Plus, the engine is 20 cc smaller than the Honda 3000 engine, another red flag.

Maybe they've made terrific advances in generator technology (I spent 25 years associated with power generators of all types, from watts to megawatts, and that's highly unlikely), but I don't want to be their beta tester.

Proceed with caution.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
I understand Bob, I am proceeding with caution, unlike you I know very little about any generators other than (that blow dryer and those kitchen appliances) better work , or my DW will not be a happy camper...lol. Several guys on other forums said they too were sceptical, and were suprised at how well they worked out. I am sure that as more and more guys buy them , and the distribution grows they will gain more of a following. Thanks for your thoughts..Scott
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Bob , I have always been a pretty big skeptic as well, however as I have aged, I have grown to look at things from different angles, and hate to admit it but ....I aint always right...yea yea it suprised me too...lol. This MOC is a good example, when we started to look at a new 5th wheel we never really considered a Montana, we wanted something more upscale, so I spent a lot of time looking at other owners groups, some were great, some not so great, but I learned a lot , not only about the differences in the trailers, but in people as well.

What I learned is that no matter what brand , model , size, or floorplan ,they all have draw backs, and problems with electrical , plumbing, trim moldings, tires...ect.. I also learned some lessons on how best to handle those problems, and how not to.

My wife and I are still young and working, I am 50 she is 45, and when we consider the amount of time that we get to go ( been averaging 30 to 40 nights a year)in our current trailer, we started looking at alternatives to "upscale". We weighed the amount of use we would get out of it, against the amount it was going to cost us. This is not to imply that a Montana wouldnt suit us for more or even full time use.Its just amazing to see some of the higher end 5th wheels and all they have to offer.

She and I are both drawn to the Montana , but for different reasons, she loves the trailers appearance,and ammenitys, size and decor. I have some concerns about build quality,axles, tires,flexing pin boxes ect..However what I do like that dollar for value , it seems like a good deal, in addition I like the group of people here on the forum, as well as the willingness to help each other.

My point in all this is , much like the amount of use I would potentialy get in a Montana vs a DRV for the amount its going to cost me, the Generator poses the same type of consideration. Like I said this is not for full time use ,but rather occasional use and emergencys. Thanks guys,for your counsel, is not falling on deaf ears. Scott
Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
One of the reasons that we dumped a 3 slideout Monaco Diplomat 30' Motorhome was that we did not want to maintain two engines (the motorhome and the dingy). Same with generators. I do not want two Hondas generator to maintain when I can get one Boliy that will power the Montana in case of no shore power. So, it comes down to a Honda 3000 or a Boliy 3600. Compare the specs and the Boliy Inverter/Electric start is the better choice. My $0.02.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
I am right there with you Joe, I guess in a perfect world I would get the Honda 3000, my biggest issue is that it wont fit inder the bed rails on my truck , its about an inch to tall. no doubt resale on the Honda would be better, however I dont plan on selling it. Let us know if you get one soon . Thanks Scott
Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Saw on another forum where a guy bought this and has good things to say about it. He took it to Talledega to the Nascar race and ran it for 4 days, and said it worked great. Hopefully more people will share there expierience. Thanks ..Scott
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
I've had one of the 2nd gen. Boly's for two years, only one problem, I broke the starter cord last week doing a maintenance run, took about 20 minutes to fix. Did notice the gas hoses were looking checked so replaced them also just for peace of mind. As I recall the 77 pound 3000 watt Honda is not electric start. Neither is mine and I wonder how they put in a starter and battery and only added a couple of pounds to mines 67.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote