Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey look what I found....

http://www.tankmonitors.com/#

I will see if this will work on our tanks, it's for homes and businesses.

Would be real neat if it did. Not supposed to be expensive.
I'll get back to you.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That would be a nice little addition...

I think we need a suggestion box for you Ozz...

After reading of the misadventures regarding backflushing, I'd like an alarm system to sound off when the waste tanks are nearing full.
This would take the worry out of being close...and save trips in & out monitoring the levels.

Now that you got that belly opened up - we are gonna keep you busy...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ozz
Unless you have money to burn I think $80+ is a lot to spend on something that a little lift of the tank will tell you. It is something you get use to in a short time.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got to agree 200% with Parrothead. Non-Working gauges are part of the RV lifestyle, at least for me it is. I'll be darned if I'd spend 80 bucks PLUS 8 bucks shipping and 6 bucks for batteries when it's not necessary. And it's not just one tank but 3.

The following is something I have now posted 3 times in the past 20 minutes...

Forget the gauges. Get yourself a system and get on with the RV life.
Forget the ice and dragging the rig around, forget the Pine Sol, forget the Calgon, forget all the additives and gimmicks about trying to clean the tanks sensors. While all these additives and gimmicks may or may not work and even when they do work, one thing is sure, in a short time you will be right back to a full tank even though you just dumped it. Imagine That!
We just gave up on the gauges and developed a system.
Get into the habit of dumping AS NEEDED and get on with life!

What is dumping as needed?? Believe me you'll learn at which point the RV life will be so much easier.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn,

As true to your form, you tell er as it is!

(ohhh, the only reason we use the Calgon is to clean the tanks a bit, specially when we are OFF the road for 2 weeks to 2 months, call me a clean silly gal, but, I kinda like knowing the tanks have been cleaned a bit when they are gonna sit, cause I know they can smell a bit when they are not used and stagnant. The Stevens' use of Calgon has NOTHING to do with gauges, cause we don't use em either.)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Amen to what Glenn says. It just tain't necessary.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am a "clean tank" nut. Of course we have a dump station here at the house so we can do a really good job. Between trips I buy a gallon of the cheapest fabric softener (pink stuff) I can find and dump some in the black tank with a few gallons of water, after a good cleaning of course, It smells good and keeps the tank slippery.We have never had smelly tanks..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
$80 is a lot to spend for a monitor that probably won't work.

Tim Marshall
2004 3670RL Montana
2002 F-350 powerstroke diesel
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now let's not try to read between the lines. I was talking about TRYING to clean the sensors for the gages. I didn't say anything about not occasionally cleaning the tank itself. To the contrary. About every 3 months during my flushing process I will dump a quart bottle of Greased Lightning or Fantastic (whatever I have around) into the empty tank.
With the tank dump valve closed and the tank empty I go into the head and dump the Greased Lightning into the toilet. I will than go out and turn on the water to the flush valve. Keeping the dump valve closed and paying close attention I fill the tank through the flush. Once the tank is full I will than open the valve and dump. I will than refill the tank with just water again through the flush and dump again. I than check the clear sewer hose fitting to see what is coming out. If it's clear, and it usually is I am done with the black tank, Now if you want to clean the gray and galley tanks, you have to dump in the Greased Lightning, or whatever, fill the tank with water and drag the trailer around. This usually works best when moving from one cg to another.

Now while I am at it here is my normal dumping process...

First of all, I have permanently added a 4th valve to the end of the sewer pipe where you would normally connect the sewer hose. I than attach a clear elbow to that valve and than the sewer hose.
For maximum capacity in the Gray and Galley tanks, I keep both the Gray valve and the Galley valve open and the new 4th valve closed thus sharing the two tanks. By sharing the two tanks I am increasing my Gray water storage capacity by 30+ gallons. As we do very little inside cooking the Galley tank gets very little water from the kitchen sink. This sharing of the two tanks extends the frequency of draining the Gray water from 3 to 4 days to 7 or 8 days or more. Needless to say but the Black water valve is also kept closed.
So here’s my system.
First we always Dump the Black tank first.
First step is to connect the garden hose to the Flush fitting and turn on the water.
I than close the Gray and Galley valves and open the Black water valve and than the 4th valve and drain the Black tank until the flow through the clear elbow has slowed to just the amount of water being put in through the flush valve.
I close the Black tank valve and refill the Black tank using the flush valve. Yes, I am aware that the manufacturer does not recommend closing the gate while using the flush. Just be careful and do not allow yourself to be distracted while refilling the Black tank. You have to be very careful not to overflow the tank. You sure don't want this water inside the coach.
When the tank is full I dump it again and refill again.
I repeat the process until the water coming thru the clear elbow is nearly as clear as the water going in through the flush valve. Once I have reached the water clarity I desire I than close the Black tank gate and shut off the water to the flush valve.
With the Black and Gray valves now fully closed I open the Galley valve and let that tank drain fully.
I than close the galley valve and open the Gray water valve and drain the Gray water tank and at the same time the Gray water is flushing the sewer hose.
Leaving the Gray water valve open I reopen the Galley gate and close the 4th gate and I am done for another 7 or 8 days

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I understand how all of you feel.
I deal with absolutes in my troubleshooting work. I work with amperage's on equipment, ohms of resistance in motors, and must have the correct readings, in able to diagnose problems. I think this is why something that can be so far off, just drives me crazy.
I could live with many things that are 'Not quite right' if my daily work wasn't the way it is.
In a way, I envy you, I would be on the road if I weren't so picky.
But you know, we are what we are.
I enjoy all of the posts, and feel like part of the family here.
I hope to meet all of you in our travels.
Jim and Sue (Ozz)

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OZZ..know just how you feel.Worked in Aviation (FAA, Electronics within the National Airspace system) where everything had to be perfect no room for error, all readings optimum.Everything within specified tolerances and standards. This is why the RV industry drives me crazy. I mean what if we accepted electronic systems were we did not know exactly what your airspeed was, exactly what your position was, exactly what your altitude was..holy cow??? Ye Gods If we tested a system with as many wormanship and design errors as I have found in my brand new 3400 we would have the vendor jailed. However we are dealing with the RV industry..your standards and my one time standards do not apply, they could not apply. We retired 6 years ago .. work habits die hard..but you have got to let them go and enjoy.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The link leads to info about inside monitor for the propane tank level, not for the holding tanks. It says it can be attached to any "remote ready" gauge. In the fine print it says to contact the gas company about purchasing a remote ready gauge. No clue on what that costs. The link shows the monitor costs $79.99 plus $8 shipping.

I wouldn't mind having this even though I have an inside indicator already that flashes a red led when the red flag on the regulator jumps up. I bought it at Campers Choice. Unfortunately, they were bought out by Camping World. CW does not offer it and told me they do not plan to carry it. So I'll move this one to the next Montana. I still would like to have the gauge as it shows percentage remaining. That percentage will vary with outside temperature but would still be handy to have.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hey Oz - I guess I'm just cheap but if I think my propane tank is low I just get a pan of hot water and slowly pour it on the top and down the side of the propane tank, then after about 15 seconds I just feel the side of the tank. Where the propane is will be cool to cold, and where it is empty will be warm to hot. I know, it's not a neat gadget but it does work. (: Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike,
Yes, they even have those sticky level indicators for the sides of the tank.
Now that I have gone from a TT and it's covered tanks, to the Monty with real doors for my tanks, i just may go that route. I have to start weaning myself of the gadgets, we may never be done in time to hit the road before the $10.00 a gallon fuel hits us.....Wow, that was depressing
Take care, Mike.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Oz - if you know how to hook them up and they are neat gadgets, then more power to you. I would probably be inclined to do the same if I wasn't scared of setting my rig on fire. Not the smartest when it comes to electrical gizmos. Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I got an e-mail back from the web site, they said it was just for the big home style propane tanks with a sender.
So, that saves me some money.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
Hadley Air Horns
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sometimes you can just run your hand down the tank and feel where it gets cooler. Doesn't work well in really hot weather, though. In subfreezing weather, if you've been using the propane, just look for the frost line.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote