Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Ants, Ants, and more Ants

I went into my rig today and there were hundreds of ants crawling around behind the grill under the first step going up to the bedroom. I got a can of ant killer spray and sprayed under the steps and it seems to have killed them. They were not coming from the pantry, we had removed almost everything that was not canned or in a jar last fall. I also looked in the basement, without removing everything, and I did not see any ants there. We are just now starting to use our rig this spring. Does anyone have any tried and true methods for controlling ants in the RV?

Thanks for your help

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When I start to have trouble with ants, I buy those small little traps and place them around. So far, has worked.

Disclaimer: do not place where a kitty or dog can get them, eh???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We’ve had the same problem since we were at Gettysburg last year; maybe not hundreds but a lot of them. I thought the ant problem would go away through the winter but once it thawed up they came right back. I recently took almost everything out of the Monty and set off 2 cans of spray. I opened up the doors to the cabinets, unloaded the refrigerator, shut it off and left the door to it open. I let it set for the rest of the afternoon. So far after that we haven’t seen any more ants. It’s a lot of work and I still have things to re-load back into the Monty but if it killed them it will be worth it. I also think it would be good to spray around everything that touches the ground where they can make a path to the inside. I bought a can of insect killer for that. Hopefully all of this will keep them away.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Check around the front and rear jacks, the tires, water hose and cables to locate where they get in then try ant powder, baking soda may work or a 50% mix of boric acid powder and sugar in a small lid. If you have pets, keep them away from the boric acid.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks for the suggestions. I may have exaggerated a little about how many I had; but, it was really a lot. Can't figure out why they were under the stairs; but, I will spray or do something around all the legs and wires to try to stop them from entering.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Flame Thrower always worked for me... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
You can buy ortho home defense and spray outside and inside and then will be gone for good. Wal-mart has this or any store that sells bug killers.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Get a box of dryer sheets,cheppest you can buy and put the sheets everywhere and the sent will drive them out , it works for us sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks Sailer; but, my wife quit using dryer sheets about a year ago. Those things are very toxic. I can't stand the smell of them. I can be around them for a few minutes and I will stop up and can't breath for couple of days. Here is an interesting article about them: http://www.naturalnews.com/002693.html They say that when you use them the chemicals from them get into your clothing, then the chemicals get into your skin and you absorb them into your system.

Again, thanks Sailer for your help, didn't intend to get off topic here.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ha-Ha-Ha.... that flame thrower comment made me laugh too much. I think exnavydiver spent too much time in the decompression chamber.

As for the Ant topic I only know the boric acid method around all points that touch the ground (tires, hoses, cables stabilizers, tripods, etc. etc.). But I hear it's bad for the environment - can anyone confirm and provide an environmentally safe alternative? But this doesn't protect from insects or critters coming from tree branches and the like from contacting your rig when you are set up, so make sure nothing is close by. I don't recommend you bring along a chainsaw or hedge clippers to fix this but you could try contacting the CG personnel for recommendations.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmawendy

You can buy ortho home defense and spray outside and inside and then will be gone for good. Wal-mart has this or any store that sells bug killers.
Ditto... Home Depot also carries this. Very reasonably priced. I will not be anywhere with my Montana without it. All ant problems have disappeared almost immediately with this stuff. It is very effective. I also spray any visible ant hills in the general area.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
A few years ago there was advertised a method guaranted to kill all your ants and bugs. All you had to do was send in a $10 bill and they sent you the guaranteed perfect solution. It was a small wooden block with a small wooden mallet, directions, when an ant or any bug walks across the block hit it with the hammer. Beware of methods guaranteed to work, some COULD be a scam.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We've always used "Comet" around the wheels and front legs and on the cable on the ground. It has worked for us for years.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Ants are very social insects. Food is shared in the nest. This is the basis of ant baits that have a slow acting poison. The same stuff is put in ant traps. You can buy the liquid bait and put it on croutons which you place in areas that ants are seen (but not pets or children). A single wrap of inside out duct tape on the legs is a good short term barrier.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have used a product called Terro with success over the years it is a liquid and can be purchased in most hardware Stores
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Before I put the Monty in storage I mix a batch of Malathyon (light mixture) and then spray the underneath of the RV on the pad, and on the plastic undervover I dont get any kind of bugs for a long time.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Search for the words, "stopping ants" without the quotes. Lots of different answers. Let us know which one works.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote