Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Converter problems

Hi,

I had my WF-9875 converter go out.

I had a mobile RV tech come by and replaced it.
He installed PD9145A converter from Progressive Dynamics.

I didn't realize the difference until after he left. I sent him a note about it difference.
He said the new one would put out as much 12v charging as old
He also indicated that the new PD9145A was digital and the old WF-9875 was analog,and would do as well.

The old one was 75a new one 45a. I did not agree.

He is removing the 45a and installing PD9280. I am glad I checked out the finished work.

There seems to be quite a difference after doing some research. I am going with the 80amp.

2013 285rld

poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quite frankly the RV Tech was either lazy or ignorant.. 45 amp versus 75 amp is a difference..

Everything that is DC operated receives power from converter while on shore power to include charging and maintaining the batteries..

While the PD converter is better ( in one sense ) because it should have been a 4 stage model versus WFCO 3 stage the WFCO 3 stage does a fine job for most any RV application out there...

at 45 amps your available "Headroom" for reserve amp availability would have been lower

Example... running the RV furnace would drop your available amps left over down about 7 to 10 amps from 45.. Now add in some lighting and control systems draw and you've got less than 25 AMPS

Your decision to get the larger converter installed was spot on and the RV Tech has no real clue of what Analog versus digital really means
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Would you mind sharing how much the converter cost you and how much the tech charged to install it?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Cost of the PD9280 was 370 and change. installation was about 150.

I know now how to install the converter now. Hopefully, this will be the last.

I have been using this mobile RV guy for 5 years or so, and he always done a good job, and was not costly.

He made everything right and ordered and installed the 80amp. He did not charge to put the 80amp in, or any additional labor.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote