Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
Questions about prices

OK, I have been calling some different dealers trying to get some different quotes for the Montana we plan on ordering once the property sells.

I called this one, and it is in Oklahoma, and they came up with this cr** of, "We can't give you a quote until after we order it and get the actual price from Montana" stuff. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Anyway, I was able to get a list of prices for the options.

What I want to know is for the options that are installed at the factory why on earth are different dealers charging different prices for the options? This makes no sense to me at all. I understand that the further away a dealer is from the factory that the more cost is added to the transportation costs but I can't figure out the factory option prices at all.

I will post the list of the option prices if anyone wants me to and it would be great to see if they are even close to the same costs from other dealers.

GQ

Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Boy, you are opening a can of worms. Seems each dealer does his own thing. We also ordered and off the list prises (which are probably different at each dealer) he gave us a deal that was well under the list for units on the lot. Was I able to make sense of the transaction comparing it to other dealers, no. Working off the bottom line I got guotes from several dealers for the exact same options on the exact same model and compared the final price. Made some of them a little upset that they quoted for an order that they say is "right now and this deal is only good for today" line of crap, but thats life.

The unit list was about 67 and we payed about 45. The main thing is that we are happy and feel we got a good deal, no matter what anyone else thinks.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
This is the 2nd time I have heard such a story. The first was last week when I was trying to get a price in Tacoma and got the following answer: "I cannot currently give you pricing on the Bigsky,
They are due to start arriving in the next couple of weeks.
As soon as they start arriving I will e-mail you and
Give a price on all the specs that you mentioned." I was very specific that I would be doing a factory order for a delivery this spring. Very interesting could it be that they only want to sell you what they have on the lot and not do factory orders? Go figure...
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
One dealer told me that they do not have the pricing list from Keystone. Said they do not even now what some of the options are! They have no brochures either...said this is not uncommon. He did tell me that the MSRP of the Big Sky was $61050.00 and for the Moving To Montana Package was $11,000.00 Value Package was $3100.00 and Convience Package was $4700.00 He also said that the slide awnings, leather recliners, and couch where options.
Said the dealers that ordered the BS's at the show would get theres first. Thought the demand would be high for a time for the BS.
It is very interesting what different dealers say.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
We bought used but in doing our research, we looked at a lot of new trailers of many different brands. I soon got a sense that the MSRP was sort of a "moving target". Every sticker I've seen with that shows the base unit price, all the options, and the list prices was created by the dealer, not the manufacturer. If you look at window stickers on cars or trucks they are produced by the manufacturer. It looked like to me the dealers were making their own MSRP's so they could give the discounts they wanted and still have a good profit. I don't know if this is correct but just the impression I got after looking for a while.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I have a price list for the 2007 Big Sky dated 11/1/2006 with a base price of $59,670 for the 340RLQ and the options at $10,845, $3,095 and $4,650. The new 8 page brochure is on the Keystone web site. The new air mattress hide-A-bed is in one of the required packages. Here is a list of the options, I have prices on most of them:
Slide room awning
dual pane windows
18" slide tray
garden tub
leather recliners
additional high back chair
2nd 13.5K AC
2nd fantastic fan
Gen prep
Generator
W/D
and now the Mor/Ryde hitch pin

Thats all they list as addable options

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campbud

One dealer told me that they do not have the pricing list from Keystone. Said they do not even now what some of the options are! They have no brochures either...said this is not uncommon. He did tell me that the MSRP of the Big Sky was $61050.00 and for the Moving To Montana Package was $11,000.00 Value Package was $3100.00 and Convience Package was $4700.00 He also said that the slide awnings, leather recliners, and couch where options.
Said the dealers that ordered the BS's at the show would get theres first. Thought the demand would be high for a time for the BS.
It is very interesting what different dealers say.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We called the facory, asked for sales, they gave us MSRP price for our rig the way we wanted it - then we went to the dealer and settled on our price -
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dick and Jackie, mine price was on a 35RLQ. I dont have the date though.
Steve & Jean, I think you might be right about pricing. It would be nice if they had stickers of those in vehicles.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Montana_6085
Established Member

M.O.C. #6085
I have one dealer in Kansas that is the best one I have talked with. He wanted to make sure what we had to pull the fiver with and if we needed a hitch and/or a brake controller. And it was just nice and very easy talking with the salesman that I had our conversation. The price he gave me was $41,800 for the 3295RK with all of the options we wanted. Does that sound about right to all of you?

GQ
Montana_6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Laundryboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6334
RLDRIVER- could you post the prices of the add-ons you mentioned in your post above? I would sure appreciate it. Thank you!
Laundryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Seems to me, the best way to price a Keystone product is to decide what you want (exactly) and then ask for the price on that model with those specific options. My dealer (also in OK) said they would have to call me after they talked to Keystone. I said fine, but it is not a deal, or an order, until I get your price quote, 'cause I'm checking elsewhere, and if you are not the best price, I will not order from you. The dealer called back in about six hours with a very good price...told them to order it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
GQ which dealer was it? Can you private message me so I know not to do business with them. I am currently trying to decide if I want to trad in for a new model. I have talked with Lakeshore RV in Michigan and the local dealer in Oklahoma. The Michigan dealer has my regular dealer beat by over $10,000 for the exact same model. The Michigan dealer only wants $34,000 for a new 3000RK. Our local dealer wants $46,000 for the same model. It is worth the drive to me to purchase in Michigan.

Good Luck!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Here are MSRP for the options on the Big Sky:
Dual Panel Safety Glass 1,385
18" slide tray 300
slide awning package (quad slides) 1,540
garden tub 155
leather recliners 925 each
additional high back chair 195
2nd 13.5K AC 695
2nd fantastic fan 445
Gen prep 690
Generator 5,425
W/D combo 1860
W/D stacked 2,475
carpet change 200
RVIA seal 65
and now the Mor/Ryde hitch pin (not listed on my price sheet)
Canadian Standards 225
State seal (where applicable) ---

340RLQ & 360REQ 59,670, 350RLQ 61,050,

Hope this helps...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Laundryboy

RLDRIVER- could you post the prices of the add-ons you mentioned in your post above? I would sure appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Okie Guy, we are with you well worth the drive. We have been getting prices for a new 3400 and so far can get one in Tucson ordered just like we want it cheaper than locally(so far). Another one wants a deposit before even coming to a deal - don't mind a deposit for order but want to know the bottom line first. I didn't ck OK dealers yet. Prices sure vary!

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Folks, when getting a quote you have to be comparing apples to apples and not apples to bananas. The only way to get an honest price quote is by listing the entire rig by model number and ALL the options AND accessories such as vent covers, window awnings, sun screens etc that you desire. Send that completed list to all the dealers you desire to do business with and ask for a "BOTTOMLINE" price quote only on what you have listed. . Any other extras the dealer may feel you should have should be quoted as a totally separate line item and that should also be a "BOTTOMLINE" price.
Also, within the quote, let the dealer know that you mean "BOTTOMLINE" and that this is not an auction bid and they will NOT be given a second chance.
If you are trading in another RV have them list that as a separate line item as well.

BTW-By adding all the dealer installed accessories to the quote not only gets you a better price on these accessories but gets the accessories cost thrown in with the rig financing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
GQ,
When it comes to a price quote GOOD LUCK on getting any solid info to work with. We just got done going through the purchasing game and ordered a 2007 3400RL. We researched for 5 years, read this and many other forms to get info from people who had already went through the purchasing game, and we found that the best way is to know what unit you want, research the price online by doing a search for the unit you want (this will give you what dealers around the country want for their units and a sort of MSRP for the unit), check with people on this forum if you want a Montana and what they paid…but like Glenn said make sure they tell you about all their options and accessories so you can compare apples to apples (because one persons fully loaded rig may not be your idea of a fully loaded unit), and then after you know what the unit should cost make contact with dealers in your area and see what they quote you. MAKE SURE the quote is with all the options and accessories that you want on your unit. Once you have several quotes start the negotiations with at least two dealers. Start the biding wars so you can pit dealer price against dealer price. Get build sheets if you can from each dealer as this will show you what THEIR price is for each option. I say THEIR price because I found that they make these sheets up and not Keystone, just like the dealer makes up the price of their units and not Keystone. We found that one dealers option prices were $$$ more than the other dealers same options. Bottom line is you should be able to get 20% to 30% off the MSRP. The problem is getting a solid MSRP. The best thing to do is check with the great people on this forum for what they paid for the same unit. I know that Keystone doesn’t communicate with the dealers very well on changes and sometimes the dealer gets surprised by changes made and therefore they are reluctant to provide a quote for units that are not on their lot yet like the Big Sky. I know our dealer was surprised that our unit was coming with the 27” LCD and the new air bed mattress hide-a-bed. We had already received a price quote and still negotiating on the price and the dealer stated that they were going to have to eat the price of those upgrades. We still got the dealer to dope the price yet another $300 even after we thought we had them down as far as we could get them. Keep pushing the price issue and use the other dealer’s price to drive down the price. Depending on whose MSRP you believe we got 25% to 27% off the MSRP. GOOD LUCK.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree with Glenn.. Also consder the transport cost.Okie Guy you are paying at least 3K more for the same unit because of the transport cost.Ask for the delivery charge as a seperate item..also dealer prep or PDI charge and some dealers are charging a "fuel surcharge" You need to break out all the seperate charges so you can see what you are paying for the actual camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #18
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I really loathe the games those sales people play. It seems to me that if I spec a unit, the salesman should be able to give me a MSRP. When I was looking for my 2955RL, I was quoted everywhere from $37,000 to over $80,000 for the same unit! You can check the internet dealers and get a vague idea, or call the factory and get a figure (maybe). FWIW, the MSRP on our unit was $56,000 and change, and we actually paid $37,000 by the time the smoke cleared. Stick to your guns, don't believe the B.S., and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Ragdoll,

You wrote "Another one wants a deposit before even coming to a deal".

Run away from that dealer. That is just part of his game. Never give the dealer anything until you have a deal and don't sign anything until you have a deal. They just want your license to "do a credit check". They know you can't leave without it so they can keep you as long as they want. "we will give it right back to you" but, then whomever has it just went to lunch, "we can't find it he\she will be right back". This just gives them more time to play games. I REALLY hate the good cop, bad cop game. The sales guy "I know you are serious buyers and I really want to get you your 5th wheel but I need something(earnest money, you to sign this form that you will buy today, etc.) to show the sales manager you are a serious buyer". Our local dealer has all the games going. How dumb do they think I look. I found it insulting that they think anyone would fall for these ploys. Needless to say we didn't buy there.

Sorry, rant over.

You are in the drivers seat because you can buy anywhere and they can only sell to the people that come to them.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #20
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
BirdingRVer, you said it exactly about saying it makes you a serious buyer by giving them a deposit that they hold until you like the deal they get you - do they think we were born yesterday..........NOT! I emailed several dealers with exact wants - they call including the one that wanted a deposit so they could get us a "good deal". Only one dealer emailed a price but got a good quote from one - now to get our dealer here to meet or come up with a better deal- I prefer to buy locally but........... Glenn has a good point on getting things broken down especially when a trade is being considered. We are still deciding.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote