Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DISH over-the-air tuner ?

I have been using a DISH 211z receiver "black box" with a DISH Tailgator. I recently bought a Wally receiver, and thinking about adding a DISH Over-the-Air Tuner to add to my Wally.

I have not even taken the Wally out of the box yet - so I am not sure how the OTA tuner works. From the pic below, it looks like the RV house antenna coax will connect to the OTA tuner (currently it is connected to back of my TV), and then plug into an HDMI on the Wally.

What are you supposed to do with the antenna booster switch? on or off?
What happens when you hook up to park cable?

Currently, my antenna and park cable coax goes to the back of the TV and each one works - dependent on whether the antenna booster is on or off.
I have installed a dedicated coax for my Tailgator - which bypasses all the house splitters etc. Seems like adding the OTA tuner is the same as adding another splitter (of sorts).

Appreciate anyone shedding light on how it works, and if you have had good results from the OTA tuner? or maybe the thing doesn't work as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-12-15_16-26-58.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	8043  

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
It plugs into a USB port on the Wally or any Dish receiver (not Joeys) and installs automatically after a reboot. I have a dual tuner unit (not Dish) on my Hopper at home. It will integrate into the guide once you scan for channels. Depending on your service area for locals on the Dish not OTA, you may or may not get the guide data populated. Obviously, you have to screw the coax into some sort of antenna like the olden days.

here's a link to the Airtv dual tuner OTA (see bottom of page). It's half the price and works on the Dish boxes.

https://www.airtv.net/products/
Old 03-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Lewynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28266
We bought a Wally and Tailgator. We had issues with it running through the existing cable set up in the unit so I ran the cable out the corner of the door, threw a rug over it and connected it directly to the TV, but you'd have to turn the air button off running it thru the unit. I'm hoping our new Montana doesn't give me a hard time as before.. I had to run an HDMI cable to the bedroom and unplug the livingroom one..worked but annoying..the Wally and Tailgator are great through I always have to set up first thing or cannot catch the satellite.
Lewynn is offline   Reply With Quote