Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Trains

Hey All,
Has anyone here gone on a camping outing that incorporates trains? The small ones not the big guys. Are there any campgrounds that have something like the live steamers in there park or area? I am a train nut and I really would like to spend a summer sometime soon just going around to see what there is out there in the small world of trains. And yes I all ready know that I am right! You don't have to tell me that...LOL

Charlie

Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The railroad museum in old town Sacramento is among the best. They run a steamer on occasion for entertainment. Camping can be found nearby.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
not sure if this helps...not really campground stuff, but:

https://www.google.com/search?client...ms+restaurants
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Sioux City, Iowa had at least 3 railroad lines. There is a museum (Milwaukee Railroad shops historic district) that has some restored trains and a large display of model trains of various gauge. Also, Kansas City has a train museum (or did) that I think was mostly models.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are seeing trains stop by Roanoke Va and see our 911. It was built right here in the N&W shops, now Norfolk and Southern. It weighs almost a million pounds fully loaded and will pull a passenger train at 110 MPH. It’s an awesome machine fully restored. It’s in the transportation museum. And while you are here check out the Blueridge Parkway. It’s worth seeing too. In fact I think a must see.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Paducah, KY has a pretty nice rail road museum. Lot of displays, a simulator you can “drive” a train, and a model train layout in the back. Been about 5-6 years since I was there. Hopefully it is as good or better.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Look up Folkston, GA and you'll find a place you have to go. The Folkston funnel pulls in all the trains going down the east coast and runs them right thru town complete with covered viewing seating and the railroad radio being played over the speakers. Lots of other reasons to visit the area, but trains are their main attraction.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I was thinking if you like trains go to the MOC Rally
Then you might not like them so much!
But those are big trains and trains and trains ��
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I am a model train enthusiast, although my entire layout is boxed up at the moment, I've always loved trains.

In the year 2007 we took 2 weeks and traveled across Indiana searching out every model railroad exhibit and train museum we could find.

There are three real trains you can ride:
Noblesville, Indiana
French Lick, Indinaa
Connersville, Indiana

All three are great. We've ridden the Connersville train several times over the years. The Connersville train runs from Connersville to Metamora, Indinaa. You are dropped off at the town, you spend a few hours and then return. In the past, we've enjoyed staged train hold-up / robberies where they have a staged gunfight between the outlaws and the sheriff and then the robbers come on board with bags in their hands, asking for donations for the railroad and to keep the "theatrics" going. They also run a "Polar Express" in the winter.

The one in Noblesville use to be a dinner train that ran to Atlanta, Indiana.

The French Lick train is a really nice ride. We've ridden a few times. That last time we went, the train actually derailed about 2 miles from the depot on the return leg of the trip. A local nearby church ended up transporting all the passengers in the 15 seater bus-van from the site of the derailment, back to the depot. That was really an interesting ride.

Other full scale museums and model train layouts are scattered and varied. We enjoyed them all. In Indiana, I don't know of any minature trains one can ride. Several years ago ago, there was a horrible accident at a small amusement park off I-65 between Indianapolis and Chicago. A little girl was killed when the minature train derailed, and as a result the entire park was eventually closed and never reopened. After that, I don't think there were any small railways for passengers anywhere left in Indiana.

Here's a list of some of the museums (full real stock and model layouts):

Click here

If you make it to Indiana, I hope you enjoy your visit!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For those of you who don’t live near a railroad trains are a big hobby. Almost every day during warm weather we see people parked near the railroad with cameras out. People come from all the country to take pictures. When the 911 comes through there will be hundreds of people.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Future planning:Potentially the Western MOC Rally is looking at Durango, Colorado for June 2021 and the big draw for myself will be the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge train. Just across the stateline in Chama, NM is the Cumbres & Toltec scenic steam train. Very expensive excursions, hope a group rate will be available at that time.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Valle Del Oro resort in Mesa AZ has a small scale train set up that is used And maintained weekly by other train enthusiasts that are part of the club. I never got involved but always saw a large number of people there working one it.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusters View Post
Future planning:Potentially the Western MOC Rally is looking at Durango, Colorado for June 2021 and the big draw for myself will be the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge train. Just across the stateline in Chama, NM is the Cumbres & Toltec scenic steam train. Very expensive excursions, hope a group rate will be available at that time.
Haven’t ridden the Durango train, but can highly recommend the Cumbres & Toltec. They have 3 levels of service; coach, tourist, and parlor beginning at under $100 up to $185 for full length trip train from/to Antonito to/from Chama and bus back (or reverse) with a stop for lunch about half way. We just rode coach and that was fine. Higher levels offer better seating and service. I spent most of the trip standing in the open gondola car anyway. I suggest taking the train from Antonito to Chama and the bus back that evening. Antonito is in the high arid semi desert and Chama is in the mountains so you start in a somewhat desolate area and slowly climb into the mountains. I think the train would be somewhat anticlimactic in reverse order.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
The Skunk Train in Willits, CA also Fort Bragg, CA plenty of camping in both locations.
Here's a link to website.
https://visitmendocino.com/listing/skunk-train-willits/

Also there's Roaring Camp outside of Santa Cruz, CA
in Felton plenty of camping around there also
Here's a link
https://www.roaringcamp.com/excursio...st-steam-train
Old 04-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #15
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Virginia city Montana has some stuff and I think they run in the summer
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #16
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Thanks all. There are a lot of good places for me to see. Thanks for all of the advice and tips and helping us out.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #17
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
If it hasn't been mentioned before. You can ride the train from Williams Airzona to the Grand Canyon. There is a RV park right next to where they park the train. Very cool.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #18
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Among a plethora of offerings in Alaska, if you visit the state, you absolutely MUST do the Alaskan Railroad!! Unbelievable beauty, and service. The price wasn't none to cheap but the bang you get for your buck is absolutely awesome.
We were fortunate enough to tour from Whittier to Talkeetna. When I return, I will go from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
Among a plethora of offerings in Alaska, if you visit the state, you absolutely MUST do the Alaskan Railroad!! Unbelievable beauty, and service. The price wasn't none to cheap but the bang you get for your buck is absolutely awesome.
We were fortunate enough to tour from Whittier to Talkeetna. When I return, I will go from Anchorage to Fairbanks.
I can second that one also. We rode it from Fairbanks to Anchorage with a 2 day stop over in Denali National Park.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #20
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Hey All,
Has anyone here gone on a camping outing that incorporates trains? The small ones not the big guys. Are there any campgrounds that have something like the live steamers in there park or area? I am a train nut and I really would like to spend a summer sometime soon just going around to see what there is out there in the small world of trains. And yes I all ready know that I am right! You don't have to tell me that...LOL

Charlie
well it seems most folks 'round here think you mean the real McCoys.

check out https://www.railserve.com/Models/Liv...North_America/
for a huge list.

There's one near us that has over 6,000 feet of track (Lockport IL)

I'm still looking for a way to build and store an N scale layout in the RV basement. Maybe an NTrak module to connect to larger layout as well.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote