Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Ford LB tank is 48 gallon on my 2019, about 150% of your Ram! Neither are big enough so my RDS aux tank was installed in the now 3rd truck
Long Bed is a game changer for options

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Mike639
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19743
My 37 gallon RDS Tank gets delivered on this coming up Monday. I ordered it though Camping World as I was able to get free shipping and 15% through a coupon. I had spoke with RDS several times through the process after I placed my order with CW. Long story short RDS shipped over 10,000 tanks per month and YOU can ORDER direct. Rock Auto also sells the RDS tanks as thats where my father in law ordered his from after learning I bought one. He doesn't want to be the reason we are stopping for fuel lol
Mike639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #23
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
My Titan was not an easy install either. The manual had errors and lacked proper detail. A full day working alone.

Note that mine was advertised as 52 gallon. It holds 48 actual gallons. With a five gallon safety, that leaves 43 usable gallons which in my case is 430 miles of towing.
The Titan OEM replacement tank for the long bed RAMs is rated for 55 gallons with about 51 usable.... 510 miles towing range.... plenty for most. That would be a very long towing day. 2-300 miles per day is about all I would want to do. I can refill later at my convenience. A friend of mine installed one, took about three hours. It's in our future outfitting plan.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #24
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
The Titan OEM replacement tank for the long bed RAMs is rated for 55 gallons with about 51 usable.... 510 miles towing range.... plenty for most. That would be a very long towing day. 2-300 miles per day is about all I would want to do. I can refill later at my convenience. A friend of mine installed one, took about three hours. It's in our future outfitting plan.
Note that 51 gals usable is not practical. I never tow up to the last gallon of fuel. Also with the Ram, the fuel gauge will not even be close to accurate. The latest info on reprogramming the Ram fuel level is forget it. The factory won't allow it. Hopefully they change that. When installing the new tank I recommend putting in 5 gallons and note the gauge. Then 20 more gallons. Then fill to the gills.

You are right about fueling at your convenience. That in itself is worth it.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #25
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Would not go that low on fuel. I always fill just before my 5 gal left light comes on. 500 miles would be lovely to have. When we go back to California in the holiday season we drive 650 mile days. We have 3000 miles to our furthest daughters house form N. Carolina to Bishop CA. Anyway, on a 650 day drive it could be up to 3 times in a truck stop. Thanks for the good information, all of you guys ROCK!!!!!!

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
I have a Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 dually long bed. I put a 45 gal aluminum auxiliary tank I bought from Tractor Supply. I don't remember what I paid, but it was well under $500. It is a gravity flow. This gives me nearly 80 gal. total. I fill it up on top of my regular tank and when my fuel gage starts to move I start looking for a station. This takes away all the anxiety of worrying about getting too low on fuel. I had the gravity flow fuel line connected to the filler tube to my reg. fuel tank. The first tank I put in was an 109 gallon iron metal tank. I went through 3 fuel pumps before I realized the tank was rusting and letting little rust chips go through my system and plugging up the fuel pumps. I could have put on a filter, but instead I just got an aluminum aux. tank. I didn't spend much over $600 for the whole system and had someone else install it. I did my own installation on the first tank I put in a 2005 Dodge. The 2014 Dodge has a metal fill tube so I had it installed.
You will definitely be satisfied with having extra fuel.
jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #27
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Would not go that low on fuel. I always fill just before my 5 gal left light comes on. 500 miles would be lovely to have. When we go back to California in the holiday season we drive 650 mile days. We have 3000 miles to our furthest daughters house form N. Carolina to Bishop CA. Anyway, on a 650 day drive it could be up to 3 times in a truck stop. Thanks for the good information, all of you guys ROCK!!!!!!

Charlie
I wouldn't either, 300 miles is a practical limit to daily travel, so it would never come into play. OEM tank... now it could be an issue when towing for 300 miles. But I think my bladder would give out first. So it might not be an issue when it comes to refueling. I really want my truck bed space for other things than a fuel tank.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #28
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I came to the conclusion years ago that those who resist the idea of extra fuel capacity will never change their mind. They usually use some of these excuses, bladder won't go that long, never drive very far in a day, don't care about saving money on fuel, etc. For me I stop for breaks when and where I want, sometimes drive 800+ mi in a day, saved $.88 a gal just this week when I was about 40 mi from home. As a retiree on a fixed income I save when and where I can

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #29
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
now it could be an issue when towing for 300 miles. But I think my bladder would give out first. So it might not be an issue when it comes to refueling. .
That's what rest stops are for, stopping for fuel for us seems to always take 20-30 minutes in lost time. Having the extra 46Gal that we have allows for much better planning not only fuel but meals also. WE drive into and thru Canada and California both have expensive fuel so having the flexibility is a game changer for us.

We also have a Tesla that we have driven all over the West Coast talk about fueling anxiety, especially if you decide to skip a Supercharger (No gas can will get you going if you run out of juice)... That makes our Aux fuel tank just hat much sweeter.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #30
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
[QUOTE=lightsout;1177821
I just bought a new Ram 3500 short bed. However I added a Aux tank in the bed 46 gal Cost about $476 and installed myself (easy install). So now I have 78 Gallons.

How do you transfer the fuel from this auxiliary tank to your truck tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTR_46.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5901  
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #31
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I put a Transferflow 57 gallon replacement tank in my TV in January 2014. I had the tank drop shipped to my dealer who installed it for the cost of an hour of labor. My total cost was about $1,600. I have the OEM tank in my storage area for future use. I wouldn't tow without a big tank again. The fuel gauge is still accurate. The distance to empty (DTE) computation is not but it is on the conservative side. The TV computer can be programmed by your dealer for the tank capacity but it goes in 10-gallon increments. Mine is set to 50 gallons so even when the DTE says I'm out of fuel, there are 7 more gallons in the tank. At an average of 11.2 mpg towing, that's a pretty good cushion. I rarely let it get that low.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #32
Beerwhisper
Established Member

M.O.C. #22276
Did you install it yourself?
Beerwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #33
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Hi All,
I was going to replace my fuel tank for a 32 gal to a 70 gal. Some friends of mine think I am wasting my money. It will be about a $1500.00 job when done. What do you all think?

Truck is a 3500 4X4 HD Dodge long bed dully 6.7 Cummings, 9 speed manual transmission,
getting up to 12 mpg while in town at 63 mph. 9 mpg at 70 mph. Driving range now about 275 miles

Charlie
I bought a tank that fits into the bed of the truck. It gravity feeds into the factory tank as that tank burns fuel. When he hand on the fuek\l gauge begins to move I know I have used all the fuel in the factory tank and am now running on the tank located in the bed of the truck. A whole lot cheaper and just as good if not better. I can go close to five hundred miles before refueling. Stop when you want to, not when you have to.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #34
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
I have the Ati tank 46, they have great customer support and will actually make anything you want. But I believe it’s the single best investment that I have ever made for a truck. I got 77 or 78 gallons and I can go at least 700 miles towing. Not towing, in the summer I can over 1400 miles. Freaking sweet, I have the encore bed cover which locks in the front and it sits perfect under the cover and plenty far away from my B&W hitch.

Also all 350 lbs are not exclusively on the rear axle, probably 60 rear 40 front. Maybe a little bit less.

I think I have around $650 on mine which includes installation but I got a deal on that, I think it would have been around $800.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #35
oakland ironworker
Established Member

M.O.C. #24256
If its about money

If the OP average mileage is 11mpg and you could save 30 cents /per gal by haveing a larger tank (some states have higher taxes) It would take 55,000 mi to pay for a 1500 dollar tank This is a savings of 81 dollars per 3000 mile trip. I know this is just one reason to have one. In fact I am shopping for an in bed tank right now.

Just putting the numbers out there as people often spend thousands trying to save hundreds.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #36
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
If the question from Beerwhisper is for me, I did not install it myself. As stated, I had my dealer install it.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #37
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
Woodworker, there is a hole on the bottom drivers side. I connected a valve in that threaded hole. I attached a rubber fuel line hose to it and ran it through the truck wall facing the back of the cab and then down to my truck filler hose that fills up the reg. fuel tank. There is a kit you can buy just for this. It is gravity flow and works really well.
jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #38
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike639 View Post
My 37 gallon RDS Tank gets delivered on this coming up Monday. I ordered it though Camping World as I was able to get free shipping and 15% through a coupon. I had spoke with RDS several times through the process after I placed my order with CW. Long story short RDS shipped over 10,000 tanks per month and YOU can ORDER direct. Rock Auto also sells the RDS tanks as thats where my father in law ordered his from after learning I bought one. He doesn't want to be the reason we are stopping for fuel lol
Is it just me or does 10,000 tanks a month seem abnormally high? Six day work week, 8 hour day that’s one every minute and 25 seconds. I guess I’m the only one who questions large figures and says, “Really”!
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #39
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I have the Ati tank 46, they have great customer support and will actually make anything you want. But I believe it’s the single best investment that I have ever made for a truck. I got 77 or 78 gallons and I can go at least 700 miles towing. Not towing, in the summer I can over 1400 miles. Freaking sweet, I have the encore bed cover which locks in the front and it sits perfect under the cover and plenty far away from my B&W hitch.

Also all 350 lbs are not exclusively on the rear axle, probably 60 rear 40 front. Maybe a little bit less.

I think I have around $650 on mine which includes installation but I got a deal on that, I think it would have been around $800.
I have the same tank however I had them install a Fuel guage on the tank, I paid $600 delivered and self installed which is very easy. The ATI 46 gal is one of the few (including all brands) that fit under a Tonneau cover virtually all others set higher.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #40
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post

How do you transfer the fuel from this auxiliary tank to your truck tank?
Gravity feed the tank includes all the hardware to connect. Takes about 2-3 hours for total install just need a drill and dremel with cuttoff blade to shorten the stock diesel fill tube, other than that just hose and clamps besides 4 bolts to attach to bed.

2 guys cold easily bang it out in 1 hour. Most of the install time in working in the tight space near the stock tank