Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
bbrown2180

M.O.C. #28000
Water leaking out of vent pipe while traveling

I have a 2021 Montana High Country 945RL 5th wheel. Twice I have filled my water tank full to go hunting and my water tank is only a third full if that much when I get to my dry camp. While turning my rv around in the driveway I have seen water sloshing out the vent cap. With a full tank sitting at home it doesn't leak, only when traveling. The dealer says they can't find anything wrong. They haven't opened up the underbody to check, they say if they do that and can't find anything wrong the warranty won't cover the labor charges. But yet there is something wrong, I shouldn't be losing all my water while traveling. Any help or ideas would be apprieciated.

bbrown2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

It is normal to get some of your fresh water out the vent while driving - 2/3 is excessive. I try to top it off as close to my camp as possible. I also carry a 40 gal water pillow to add more water later.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
bbrown2180

M.O.C. #28000
Thanks, problem with fill up, it is pressurized fill up only, so having extra water to put into the tank when camping, there is no way to do that. Also finding potable water near where I camp is also a problem.
bbrown2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have an electric pump to fill water out of the pillow via the pressure fill. If you stay out long you are always going to want more water.

https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...ks-accessories

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There has been a lot of previous discussion about this "feature". If you do a Search you will find it is not uncommon. As I recall, the easiest solution is to put a cork or stopper in the vent port.

As for filling the fresh water, many use a cheap 12V Harbor Freight pump to push water in through the power fill station. The more muscular and robust members remove the cap over the vent port and hoist jugs of water to dump in via that orifice.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think Carl has the best idea. I can see the water flying out the vent cap when going up passes on right hand turns on my Montana. The vent cover slides off quite easily if you slide it up. It then exposes the actual vent. Some people actually fill their tank through the vent when dry camping. Another option is to use your winterizing valve and route the water to your tank using the built in obnoxiously loud 12 volt pump at the command center.

Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 01-22-2021, 04:59 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I purchased a bladder tank and small pump on Amazon this past year to use during a 3 week hunting trip. There is water in the CG at the comfort station, but water at the sites is turned off. The process worked really well. Here's what I have and it packs into a 12"x8"x6" tote.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I chose a 120 volt pump, but they also have a 12 volt DC option if you don't have power and are running primarily on batter. HTH
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
ledsky
Established Member

M.O.C. #27163
I put a plug in mine and that works really well. I bought the plug at a local boat dealer. It is a 1" plug. The cap comes off pretty easy.
ledsky is offline   Reply With Quote