Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
dtrees
Established Member

M.O.C. #19435
electrical issue

last night the bathroom GFI failed.....could have been from a power surge (doubtful) or could have been the wife running a vacuum at the same time she had her hair curler pluged in on high, with ALEXA, WIFI, Lights on and the Fireplace going. Why is now behind us as I have replaced the GFI, some 15 ATM fuses that looked like they got "warm, but still have some issues with the plugs from the Kitchen. this is a 2017 3791. any suggestions as to how or why would be greatly accepted. thanks.

dtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Did you check the breakers

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
dtrees
Established Member

M.O.C. #19435
if you are referring
to the AC breakers....as well and the fuses, yes. thanks for asking. Is there possibly another GFI besides the one in the bathroom?
Old 01-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mine is a much older unit but I have one in the kitchen besides the one in the bathroom.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
dtrees
Established Member

M.O.C. #19435
can yousend me a picture or describe where the one in the kitchen is?
Old 01-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We have two, bathroom beside the sink and the outside receptical all the others trip by the breakers.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think any 2 of the vacuum, hair curler, or fireplace would trip a GFI. I think they each would pull 8-15 amps, so that would do it.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Standard GFCI outlets trip on current imbalance, or fault, between the hot pin and the neutral pin of as little as 5 milliamperes. They don’t trip on over current unless they have come out with a new type that has over current trip in addition to the normal fault trip. GFCI circuit breakers trip on either.

Just to make sure you are aware. A tripped circuit breaker does not flip the handle to the OFF position. It just moves it slightly off of the ON position. It will feel “soft” if you press it. You must turn it off and back on to reset it.

MYTHS
“A GFCI receptacle will trip off if you overload it (run too many watts). This is not true at all. Only the circuit breaker in your electrical panel cares about the amount of load things are using. A GFCI is not at all sensitive to that, but it is very sensitive to electrical leaks AWAY FROM the path that loads (running things) use.”

FROM
http://thecircuitdetective.com/home_...ical_myths.php
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrees View Post
can yousend me a picture or describe where the one in the kitchen is?
The unit is not where I can get a picture but it is a regular GFI plug just to the right of the sink. 3 other plugs in the kitchen area work slave behind the GFI. In other words, if it is tripped the 3 other plugs are dead until the master next to the sink is reset. If I remember correctly the 3 slaves have a small label on them saying "GFI Protected" Over the years, helping other 5'er owners with electrical problems, we have found GFI outlets in a number of different places in their RV's. Bathroom, kitchen, out side plug, and storage area just to name a few. When you have some spare time do a search to locate all the GFI's in your rig. It's easier then waiting for one to operate and then trying to find it as the significant other is upset because her hair can't be dried.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our 2017 one of the two outlets on the island is a GFI.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrees View Post
last night the bathroom GFI failed.....could have been from a power surge (doubtful) or could have been the wife running a vacuum at the same time she had her hair curler pluged in on high, with ALEXA, WIFI, Lights on and the Fireplace going. Why is now behind us as I have replaced the GFI, some 15 ATM fuses that looked like they got "warm, but still have some issues with the plugs from the Kitchen. this is a 2017 3791. any suggestions as to how or why would be greatly accepted. thanks.
What do you mean by this part? "issues with the plugs from the Kitchen"

Are you saying that some of the downstream outlets are not working after the GFI was changed out? If that is the case, are you certain they are downstream of the GFI? (to test remove the GFI and see if they light up)

As earlier noted; power consumption has nothing todo with GFI tripping; and GFI's do fail.

In the breaker box ensure everything is tight; loose neutrals are a major issue in the RV space (we had one start on fire due to loose neutral). Loose connections will cause heat. Normal heat will occur if near max load is being pulled but their shouldn't be a discoloration; discoloration likely indicates an issue.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
GFCI outlets are typically used in so called "wet" locations. Anywhere near a sink, kitchen or bathroom, and outside receptacles. The GFCI receptacle will protect any receptacles that are down stream from it, so an easy way to find the others is to manually trip the GFCI and then test various receptacles in those "wet" areas to see which ones are not working. Reset the GFCI and make sure those that were not working also reset. GFCI receptacles do go bad, sometimes even new ones. If it resets and doesn't trip again, you're fine. If it always trips when a certain device is plugged in, then that device is suspect and should be checked.
Things with motors, like a skill saw, will trip one very easily. Not sure why, but I had to run non GFCI circuits in my garage in the S&B so I could do any kind of work. They just don't seem to like saws. Also, if you try to use one in a campground pedestal, you will likely run into the same issue. I have an adapter for 30amp/20amp to 50amp pigtail that works well, but not if the 20amp is a GFCI outlet on the pedestal. I ended up making my own 30/30 to 50 adapter and I carry a non-GFCI outlet around just in case I need to temporarily replace the pedestal outlet. Some places I have been have 2 30amp plugs and no 50 amp. If only 1 30 amp and 20 amp, I can put the 30 to 20 amp adapter on one of my plugs to get the same result. Less pigtails to carry around that way.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
sounds like the GFI worked the way it was suppose too.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
BB-TX very good explanation of the gfci workings. I did not know the current load had no effect only the difference between the common side and neutral side. Always learn stuff on here!!
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #15
AprilR

M.O.C. #27722
We have a 2007 Montana 3000RK and have had several electric issues. We have replaced the GFI outlet for the kitchen (the old one tripped and would not reset), replaced the GFI outlet in the bathroom sink area with a standard outlet, replaced the main 50amp breaker and last week replaced the plug on the 50amp main power cord and the connection box for that on the camper because the cord overloaded and melted both. My husband said that when he replaced that plug he noticed that the wires were loose and there was a screw loose. After all this, things are running ok, knock on wood.
AprilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:45 AM   #16
AprilR

M.O.C. #27722
We have one on the island that has been wired to control the microwave and both plugs in the kitchen.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilR View Post
........... My husband said that when he replaced that plug he noticed that the wires were loose and there was a screw loose. After all this, things are running ok, knock on wood.
Loose wire connections in the power cord connectors, the receptacle where you plug in at the rear of the trailer, and at the circuit breaker panel and fuse panel have been the source of electrical problems and burned wires for many.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:38 AM   #18
AprilR

M.O.C. #27722
We are now checking it frequently. Luckily, we were able to replace just the actual plug on the 50amp plug and didn't have to buy a whole new cord.