Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #1
mvaughan737

M.O.C. #27962
Replace Shades

Good Morning,

I see that everyone is having problems with their shades as I am. I would like to get those replaced before the next season. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas on what to change to in a Montana High Country 295RL?? Wife wants Day/Night curtains, and possibly thinking of blinds.

What have some of you done in the past for recommendations.

Thanks..

mvaughan737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
in our prior Motorhome we replaced the "string blinds" with Levolor Cellular Blinds we purchased at Lowes. Take your measurements with you and they cut them for you. Includes all hardware and are not too difficult to swap out. We used room darkening in the bedroom and light filtering in the living area. They are not two fabric pieces like the OEM ones but they also do not have strings that loosen and break. We had them for over 7 years in that rig and no issues.
We are planning to do the same thing in the Montana very soon.

Phil
PhilandRudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Don't know if these are the same shades that you have, but my Montana has these, and yes, they are awful. That plastic pull bar at the bottom of the shade pulls away from the blind. After several trial and errors, I found this works pretty well fixing them.

After they the blind has pulled out of the groove in the pull bar, break one end so it can be slid back in. Fold the blind at the bottom at least twice. Leave that stapled paper attached. Just roll it an extra roll and try to crease it as best you can. Slide it back in the groove from the end you broke. Now apply a clear silicon or bathtub sealer in the groove (both sides) and let it dry. After doing this to all 15 shades in my Montana, they have not pulled out since.

We thought about replacing them, but 15 shades is a bit much for us. I don't want to do the work.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
MCD shades. Expensive, but worth it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The best solution is to get MCD Shades from MCD Innovation in McKinney, TX. There are a number of suppliers around the country who sell them. IMO the better alternative is to go straight to the plant. They have RV sites for you to use while they measure, manufacture and install them for you. Yes, they are more expensive than the cheap knock-offs Keystone uses, but worth it. Mine are now four years old and not a problem, ever.

Plus you can gorge yourself at Hutchins BBQ, one of the best in TX, while you are there.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #6
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Don't know if these are the same shades that you have, but my Montana has these, and yes, they are awful. That plastic pull bar at the bottom of the shade pulls away from the blind. After several trial and errors, I found this works pretty well fixing them.

After they the blind has pulled out of the groove in the pull bar, break one end so it can be slid back in. Fold the blind at the bottom at least twice. Leave that stapled paper attached. Just roll it an extra roll and try to crease it as best you can. Slide it back in the groove from the end you broke. Now apply a clear silicon or bathtub sealer in the groove (both sides) and let it dry. After doing this to all 15 shades in my Montana, they have not pulled out since.

We thought about replacing them, but 15 shades is a bit much for us. I don't want to do the work.

This works. I have removed the end cap, rolled the bottom of the shade three folds over on the plastic strip and replaced it and it won't pull out again!
Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The best solution is to get MCD Shades from MCD Innovation in McKinney, TX. There are a number of suppliers around the country who sell them. IMO the better alternative is to go straight to the plant. They have RV sites for you to use while they measure, manufacture and install them for you. Yes, they are more expensive than the cheap knock-offs Keystone uses, but worth it. Mine are now four years old and not a problem, ever.

Plus you can gorge yourself at Hutchins BBQ, one of the best in TX, while you are there.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/bbq...hutchins-fire/
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To quote Herbert Morrison;

“Oh, the humanity!”

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
MCD shades. Expensive, but worth it.
Totally agree.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have found out that the Irvine shades coming on the units work well if they are adjusted correctly and you do not run down the highways and biways with them down. We actually had them adjusted by the owner of Irvine Shades at the last National Fall Rally and have had no problems since. We bought them and had them installed by one of the field agents down in Arizona several years back. We really like them. They ARE a knockoff of the MCD shades but have had no problems with them now.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:54 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Did the same as Dutchmen, but instead of Silicone, we used hot glue in a few spots. Haven't had an issue since. Only 2 of ours pulled out of the bottom rod before we did this to all of them. I was originally going to put a drop of super glue in a few spots, but the DW suggested hot glue instead. It has worked fine.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rondo and I hang around in the same places. We also have no problems with the OEM shades.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
mvaughan737

M.O.C. #27962
Excellent, thanks for the tip. My brother happens to live in McKinney, TX. It will give me an excuse to go see him. Thanks.
mvaughan737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post

Absolutely correct. We had an appointment last year for our traveling Montana to be completely replaced. When we bought the new to us rig for the mountains several of the shades were not operable so I swapped rigs and got the mountain Rv shades replaced. I will take the traveling Montana when we return to the US this spring.
Make the appointment, take the Rv and they will give you an estimate on Monday after they look at it and measure Monday morning. They promise your rig is ready be Friday afternoon. They have at least 5 Rv spaces with 50A service. I don’t remember any water or sewer connections. Call as early as possible for your appointment. Well worth the money. Pay for the installation as well. Good bang for the buck!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
Museone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24325
My wife and I also used the levlor blinds fro Loews. They cut them to size and were not difficult to install
Museone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #16
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
break one end so it can be slid back in. Fold the blind at the bottom at least twice. Leave that stapled paper attached. Just roll it an extra roll and try to crease it as best you can. Slide it back in the groove from the end you broke. Now apply a clear silicon or bathtub sealer in the groove (both sides) and let it dry.
Using pliers I pull the plastic end out in one piece, slide the shade back in, and reuse the end piece.

Using the silicone sounds like a great idea.
Thanks!
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shades