Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
mvaughan737

M.O.C. #27962
Replace Bed

Good Afternoon,

Have a quick question. We have a Montana High Country 295RL, and we just hate the king size bed. It is extremely uncomfortable, and after putting a topper on it, makes it extremely hard to make the bed and change the sheets.

We are looking to change our bed from a King to a Queen before the next season. Has anybody changed their mattress from a King to a Queen in a 295RL. And if so, what mattress do you recommend getting for a pair of Seniors with occasional back pain??

Thanks for your time..

Michael Vaughan

mvaughan737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan737 View Post
Good Afternoon,

Have a quick question. We have a Montana High Country 295RL, and we just hate the king size bed. It is extremely uncomfortable, and after putting a topper on it, makes it extremely hard to make the bed and change the sheets.

We are looking to change our bed from a King to a Queen before the next season. Has anybody changed their mattress from a King to a Queen in a 295RL. And if so, what mattress do you recommend getting for a pair of Seniors with occasional back pain??

Thanks for your time..

Michael Vaughan

First, welcome to the forum! I do not have the 295RL but have the 331RL which is very similar.

As you have found the "king bed" in an RV is often, if not usually, stuffed into a space that makes maintaining the bed nigh unto impossible. This trailer came with the king bed and a DW stipulation was that it go and a residential queen be put in its place. We had the dealer cut the platform down to fit a residential mattress thereby giving DW and myself much more room to navigate around the bed and plenty of sleeping space as well.

Although we had the dealer cut it down an individual can do it as well if you have a few tools and skills. I cut our last one down and it wasn't really a problem. In both cases we left the portion above the fold up hinge the full width because we both spend half the night with our arms somewhere above our head. DW just made supports to fill those areas and give us more room. Other options exist of course.

As far as a mattress; like truck brands, gas vs diesel etc. a mattress is a very subjective thing. Some folks like foam, some like pocketed coils and the list goes on. Some like to put a topper on the OE mattress and like that. We've tried that twice and neither of us like them.

If you have a bad back (I do) you will probably want a mattress that will support your back but have a little give. I like pocketed coils. We bought a mattress from Denver Mattress that is about 14" thick with lots of support but very comfortable - we love it. I will point out that it is much heavier than the OE mattress and required replacing the struts under the bed platform. A very easy, cheap job - maybe 10 minutes at most.

Looking at the new mattresses we find that we want to be able to feel, touch and try out before we buy. Something we've found is that when testing a bed in the store, with the mattress on a box spring, the mattress will feel "softer" that it will in the RV. Best I've figured is that the solid wood platform does not give like the box spring and makes the mattress more firm when placed upon it. Good luck on finding something that works for you. I think you'll find that most anything is going to be better than the OE mattress they put in the RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I've got stenosis, vertebral wedging and three fused vertebrae and I cannot praise this mattress enough. We had it in twins in our Class C and immediately bought a king for our Montana when we bought it. It's as comfortable as any mattress we've ever owned.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/inne...-mattress.html
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We have and (sort of) like our king. Wife doesn't like getting smacked in the head with my elbows which sometimes end up above my head. So we live with the king.

I would like more room to make the bed, tho.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On three Montanas we have cut the support down and got a great mattress from Sam's Club. They delivered, set up and hauled off the old one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
We use a r5 Sleep Number king. I have back issues so I sleep firm while the DW sleep soft. The r5 is a RV King which is narrower than a residential king. It is also much lighter than other mattresses. You can pull it out from the headboard to help with make up. They are pricey but we were able to find a good cheap used one. Some modifications to bed base needed to install due to air and electric lines.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
We use a r5 Sleep Number king. I have back issues so I sleep firm while the DW sleep soft. The r5 is a RV King which is narrower than a residential king. It is also much lighter than other mattresses. You can pull it out from the headboard to help with make up. They are pricey but we were able to find a good cheap used one. Some modifications to bed base needed to install due to air and electric lines.

Our advice also. Buy the R5 King, it is the best mattress that I have ever slept on in my life. I have back issues and it is great. The only problem is that you will spend an extra hour or two sleeping in if you can, it's hard to part company with. Also it takes standard king size sheets just fine. We bought ours at Camping World on sales with a Camping world retail store price match to their website for about $1,800.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We have a king and love it, But your right as it does take up space. The oem mattress lasted less than a year. We full time so we just got a 10" mattress in a box from Walmart. I think around 300 dollars. most mattress last only 5 to 8 years. so even if we had to change it out every 3 years. We still are not spending over 1000 dollars in 9 years. Just something to think about. And yes it comfortable, at least for us.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Hi, We also switched our King to a standard size queen for the same reasons you listed. Note I wrote Standard, not a RV queen.

Honestly, we went to our local Mattress store and found a normal Queen we would pick IF it were to be used inside our home.

Husband cut off the excess wood platform and poof, we just plopped the queen down on it.

Switching it out has given us more room.

We have a 2019 Montana High Country 331rl
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
2 Yoopers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21800
I changed our bed out for a California king which is longer than a regular king and between a king and queen as far as width. Love having a bed my feet don’t hang off the end.

2015 Ford F450 Platinum
2 Yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We went from a king to a queen in the size and also went with a queen size Sleep Number mattress in our Monte. We would not go back to any regular or foam mattress. We did have to cut a couple small holes in the side and the top wood cover for the hoses and the power cord but that is the best thing we have done and we sleep like a baby now.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #12
mvaughan737

M.O.C. #27962
Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the replies. That gives me lots of ideas and I think I will just go down to a regular store and get me a good queen mattress.

Thanks again,

Michael Vaughan
Montana High Country 295RL
RAM 2500 Laramie
mvaughan737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just remember, if you bed is in a slide a standard Queen or King might be too long, as in 84" vs RV 80".
Old 01-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Once you get the bed size figured out, the selection of mattress is strictly your own option. I've always suggested with such a question of what mattress should I get, just get the same one you use in your house.

or....

Take the one from your house and put it in the camper and then get a new one for the house.

However, the mattress in our camper cost about 3 times more than the one in the house. (Helix)... check it out.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
We swapped out the king mattress in our Montana when we bought it. Replaced with a residential mattress - no rec on that, get what you like best! If I had to do it again I would NOT have the platform cut down - the original platform wasn't too wide for a queen bed. So check measurements before you get out the saw.

Also, we did have to replace the struts with stronger struts because of the mattress weight, but that was easy to do and relatively inexpensive.
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
We have found that switching to a European style slat platform gave us the same feel as a box spring, and provided better ventilation to the mattress, eliminating the sweating.
These days, they are much more common with on-line retailers, and the prices have come substantially. Weight-wise, adjustments may be required, but worth it.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #17
Bill Carver

M.O.C. #27186
Sleep number mattress, and it can be the same as used at home. Very comfortable wife had back surgery no problem, may be able to be put on the same foundation.
Bill Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #18
WLA

M.O.C. #27616
I'd recommend checking out Wilderness Mattress. We replaced the POS Denver Mattress with one of theirs... So comfortable and cozy for us (We're seniors too) Hope this helps.
WLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
chuckj

M.O.C. #13528
Did it in a 3790. Shouldn’t be any different, just trim off the sides of the plywood to be about 1” narrower on each side than a queen. Everyone is different in mattresses so go to you favorite mattress store and find one that fits your needs. Just make sure it’s the same length as your current king. They make a standard queen which I believe is 80” and a short queen which is 75”. You’ll also enjoy the extra room on the sides of the bed. Don’t forget to round the corners of the plywood when you trim it.
chuckj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #20
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
We did the same thing, drove the rv to Sams abd picked up s mattress there
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, queen