Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #61
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I see you referenced some wheels ,where is it saying those wheels @ 3960 are only rated for 95 psi.

Wasn't it not long ago ,our Montana wheels were rated for 3750 , and 110 psi, possibly still are ??
From what I have seen and read, most of the Montana and High Country wheels are rated for 110 psi. Check to confirm, on the back spoke of your rim. It should be stamped on one of the spoke. My rims/wheels were stamped on every spoke, 110psi. If so, you are good to go for a G rated tire.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #62
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brad before upsizing the load range of a tire always inspect the wheels for their max pressure/load. It should be (maybe) stamped on the back of them.
Exactly!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #63
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I see you referenced some wheels ,where is it saying those wheels @ 3960 are only rated for 95 psi.

Wasn't it not long ago ,our Montana wheels were rated for 3750 , and 110 psi, possibly still are ??
That's back when GY and Sailun dominated the steel cased trailer tire market with their RST LT235/85R16 LRG tires for 7000# axles. Then Sailun "pioneered" the steel cased trailer tire market with their ST235/80R16 LRG and ST235/85R16 LRG tires for 7000# and 8000# axles. Now just about all of the ST tire manufacturers build those LRG Tires.

Now days, with the RVIA 10% reserve load capacity recommendation being adopted by the trailer manufacturing industry, the 3750# LRG tires no longer qualify as OE fitments for service on 7000# axles. IMO that will eventually cause the expensive GY G614 to be discontinued. Sailun has already quit building their like sized tire. However, trailer manufacturers have the option to de-rate axles to a lower certified value which would allow the use of those 3750# GY tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #64
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
I think after all that has been said in this post a recap of the OPs questions is necessary.

The OPs trailer is a 2021 model with 6000# certified axles. It came equipped with ST235/80R16 LRF tires (polyester). They provide a maximum load capacity of 3750# at 95 PSI. Those tires will provide 25% in load capacity reserves. Yet, he asks about going to a larger designated size tire that will provide nearly 47% in load capacity reserves. It’s very hard to support any of his requests when he already has more than just sufficient load capacity reserves available and his current tires comply with a load inflation chart for that designated size. Maybe he just doesn’t know that sticking with the OE designated size and increasing its load capacity to a LRG will not invalidate his vehicle certification label. However, why the need for 4080# of load capacity for 6000# axles???
Old 12-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #65
Doc dog

M.O.C. #27821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlates View Post
Right now the MHC came with ST235/80R 16F

I was just wondering if I could go to a 85R
I got away from st tires and went to Bridgestone duravis the difference was nite and day for quality in towing
Doc dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #66
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc dog View Post
I got away from st tires and went to Bridgestone duravis the difference was nite and day for quality in towing
In what way?
I've always heard that ST tires were built because they have stiffer sidewalls to reduce sway. How are the Bridgestones better?

thanks,
Brad
Old 12-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #67
Doc dog

M.O.C. #27821
Tires

My understanding of st tires is they don't have to build any load reserve in them . Because their are .no people riding in a trailer. ( more profit for them ) Im in construction and own multiple trailer's i found that st tires were like bad socks they roll around your feet same with trailer's they sway to much . Why are there no st tires on class a vehicles. Just my experience with trailers.
Doc dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #68
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
My understanding of st tires is they don't have to build any load reserve in them . Because their are .no people riding in a trailer. ( more profit for them ) Im in construction and own multiple trailer's i found that st tires were like bad socks they roll around your feet same with trailer's they sway to much . Why are there no st tires on class a vehicles. Just my experience with trailers.
Thanks for the info.
What model 5th wheel are you running?
And, are you running load range F in the LT tires? Those seem hard to find. And, what size?
For the heavier Montana's they run a load range G tire, which I don't know if you can get those in an LT tire.

So, not disputing that LT tires can work, and I know of others who do it also; but the ones I know of are lighter loads. (either 10k tandem axles, or 18-20k triples as an example)
I'm trying to understand if E range LT tires still work when you get into the heavier rigs with higher individual tire loads.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #69
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Bridgestone does not build a 16" LT tire with enough load capacity to replace the afore mentioned ST tire.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #70
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Can you define the "load reserve" you mentioned above?

All highway tires are certified to carry people.

ST tires are not designed or built to withstand steering/traction actions.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #71
Ram-X
Established Member

M.O.C. #27019
We purchased 2021 High Country 295RL in August of 2020. From my understanding all Montana’s come with Sailun tires as standard equipment and I saw a video of a 2020 with Sailun tires standard. My Montana came with Trailer King. Is there a way to have this problem can be rectified
Ram-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #72
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill,

Welcome to the forum!

Most Montana come with Sailun but the High Country generally do not have high rated tires.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #73
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-X View Post
.......My Montana came with Trailer King. Is there a way to have this problem can be rectified
If you purchased based on advertising or a sales brochure that indicated Sailun tires were included, you might have a case for misreprentation, although I think there's always a printed caveat that the mfgr. can make changes. Trailer Kings are the worst of the worst IMO, and they're probably what was on hand when the frame was delivered. Regardless, you're better off with Sailuns even if you're out of pocket.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:45 PM   #74
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-X View Post
We purchased 2021 High Country 295RL in August of 2020. From my understanding all Montana’s come with Sailun tires as standard equipment and I saw a video of a 2020 with Sailun tires standard. My Montana came with Trailer King. Is there a way to have this problem can be rectified
If the TKs are LRF I seriously doubt you'll be able to have them changed for the LRG Sailun's. Otherwise an across the board change in brands with the same designated size should not be a problem. However, you have already taken possession of the trailer and it's a little late to discover unhappiness with tires. They are not fitted to specs by brand, only size and load capacity. IMO the only way you'll get them changed is if you have a written promissory document from Keystone or the dealer for a specific name brand.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #75
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Binge reading this thread will make one tired
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #76
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlates View Post
All,

First off, new to the club. Looking forward to gaining knowledge from everyone with years of experience.

I know there are a ton of opinions on tires and from all the research I have done I think I have it down to two selections, Wife and I just purchased a 2021 Keystone Montana 295RL (which we really like). The tires are ST235/80R 16F (12 ply).

Looking to upgrade the tires to:

Sailun ST 235/80R 16 G9 Rated/14ply (all steel)

Or

Hercules ST235/80R 16 H-901 (G rate/14 ply all steel)

Any opinions on either?

Second, could I put 85Rs on the 295RL model?

Lastly, my Black tank sensor always reads 1/2 even when drained. Any helpful hits?
Regarding your tires, I am running the Goodyear Endurance tire and I have started replacing 2 tires every year so I keep a fresh set on my fifth wheel. I buy from Discount Tire because they are the only dealer I have found in my area who will give you a road hazard warranty.
Regarding your black tank, the sensors are very hard to keep cleaned and functioning. So we just use the old fashion way and dump every few days.
Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #77
dmheil
Established Member

M.O.C. #25012
Failed Ranier

So with 5700 miles on my OEM LRF Ranier tires I experienced an explosive tire failure. I was extremely fortunate not to have any coach damage with the exception of the coroplast and insulation inside of the wheel well itself. New Sailun's ordered and will be installed on Monday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1720.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	8318
Laurel Hill, Florida
dmheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #78
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmheil View Post
So with 5700 miles on my OEM LRF Ranier tires I experienced an explosive tire failure. I was extremely fortunate not to have any coach damage with the exception of the coroplast and insulation inside of the wheel well itself. New Sailun's ordered and will be installed on Monday.
Ouch, glad there wasn't more damage and all are ok.
I have had good success with Goodyear on a smaller rig in the past, and put about 30,000 miles on the last set. They still looked good and wore very even.

I also hope to have good long term results with the Sailun's on our new Montana. I do hear good things about them, both on this forum and others.

Brad
Old 01-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #79
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You aren’t the first person this has happened too. If you have these China Bomb tires get then off before this happens to you a word to the wise.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #80
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmheil View Post

Attachment 8318
You are living proof of why everyone should get their China bombs off their trailer immediately.
It will be difficult to seal the inner wheel wells. But you must get that sealed up as tight as possible to keep the water out.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote