Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Mlenest
Established Member

M.O.C. #25902
Looking for a Extended Warranties

I am looking to buy a Extended Warranties. What company should I go with
Am looking at https://americasrvwarranty.com and AGW thru the dealer
I need some feedback on who I should go with

Thank you

Old 12-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are not extended warranties they are service plans that clearly state what they will not cover. We are high end travelers and would not leave home without one. We use progressive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Open a savings account and put $100 a month in to cover future repairs. You will be better off in the long run.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We had Good Sam’s Warranty and it paid for a new cooing unit on our fridge, I had just purchased the warranty a month before it want out and I was past the manufacture 1 year warranty. Good Sam paid the bill and I had the 500 deductible plan, I don’t have the Warranty any longer but GS did as it said it would do.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Consumers Report states that service plans are a waste of money. But, people get them.
Make sure you understand exactly what you have to do, if anything, annually. And understand what is exactly covered. Remember on new trailers you have anywhere from 1 to 3 years are the product already. i.e. 'Dometic offer a standard 3-year warranty on selected RV air conditioners, refrigerators and cookers, with the option to extend to 5 years.'
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
If you have a Norcold fridge it’s only a 1 year manufacture warranty unless that’s changes sense 2017. They use to be a 2 year warranty.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
I purchased a 6 year extended warranty through the dealer with zero deductible, which allows me to use any rv shop or mobile repair technician. It covers parts failure and "operator error". I also carry insurance through Progressive based on a greed value that covers collision comprehensive, vacation liability, replacement of personal effects.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Read the Exclusions/Inclusions section. Many plans exclude some of the more common issues such as axles, appliances, etc.

Personally, I don't like them. They're priced to make the seller money. Thus, on average, most people don't come out on them. Most people are better off putting the money into a savings account earmarked for repairs and adding some each month to cover the items the extended plan wouldn't cover.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Insurance is a funky product, if you don’t need it you feel ripped off and if you do it’s a lifesaver. If you are on a budget it’s a good deal.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
If you can afford to do the savings account option mentioned above you will likely do better financially.

If on the other hand your budget is tight it may make sense to have something to "smooth out the repair hits" that will probably come your way sooner or later. You have to do the math for your situation.

That said, even with discipline most people can save the money. Don't forget that if you finance the plan with your RV purchase your initial cost grows over time by what ever your loan rate is... Dealers love to get buyers for them... it is gravy profit for them... REMEMBER THAT. You will always hear stories of people that did well on those plans... but the game is rigged in the providers interest and the odds are against you coming out ahead of the cost. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemitchell59 View Post
Read the Exclusions/Inclusions section. Many plans exclude some of the more common issues such as axles, appliances, etc.

Personally, I don't like them. They're priced to make the seller money. Thus, on average, most people don't come out on them. Most people are better off putting the money into a savings account earmarked for repairs and adding some each month to cover the items the extended plan wouldn't cover.
'Every product is priced to make the seller money if not the seller goes out of business.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It also comes down to how Handy you are. If you're not afraid to tackle the issues that come up you will be better off on your own.
We're coming up on 6 years with our unit and almost 50K miles and almost full time living. Water heater developed a leak couple of years ago, was right at the end of it's MFR warranty, had a local dealer put in the warranty request, when it came in gave them the leaky heater and took the new and installed myself, no cost. Last month I had to replace the slide gear packs on our living/dining slide because it stripped the teeth on the spur gear, ordered from Amazon for $125 and a couple of hours of my time, all better.
Have yet to have to dip into our self insured funds, so I figure we're way ahead of the game.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
smkn454 Mike
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23725
We have purchased extended warranties with several RV's we have purchased over the years. They have always paid for themselves by replacing whole fridges, fridge cooling units, furnace control boxes & ac units etc etc. The dealer we purchased the RV's & the warranties was a local dealer that we've known & trusted for 30 + years & always took care of us with the warranties.
Now to our 2018 Montana purchase , our local dealer didn't sell Montana's so we ended up finding what we wanted at a Camping World. They sell Good Sam's extended warranty, which in a short time we found out that it's a MBI policy that was overpriced and pretty much worthless. So we contacted our previous local dealer and convinced them to sell us their warranty, that they will honor or many others nationwide & it cost half as much for longer, better coverage. The name of the that company was USA TRAVEL CARE from American Guardian Warranty Services. It's worked out very good for us so far. Sorry about the long reply. 😆 Oh, by the way we canceled the Good Sam warranty for a refund.
smkn454 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
i found out that keystone took over warranty responsibility from the appliances on my rig. I found this out by checking my serial numbers against the actual manufacturer. I had an issue with my micro/convection oven and checked warranty to use a non-rv repair shop. That was a nogo, because it showed the micro had no warranty.

I agree with the savings account route. Most of the time you dont use the ext warranty and just waste that money.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #15
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just create you own service plan....put $2K in the bank.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I bought an extended warranty with my new Montana in 2012. It is important to have a dealer who supports you and a policy that covers almost everything. That policy cost me $1,450. I have copies of the bills from my dealer where they billed (and collected) $18,000 during the term of that policy. When it expired, I bought a second policy from them for $1,800. During the term on that policy, the dealer billed (and collected) for repairs totaling $9,700.

Explain what investment program you use to where a $100 deposit per month deposit will cover this kind of billing.

Oh yea, that doesn't include the charges to haul my my Montana to Keystone, replace the entire left side, re-paint and then return it to me. Montana paid for that.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #17
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We bought the lifetime warranty with the new rig. I have to take it in every year for a $149 "service" and inspection. They replaced the microwave after the one year warranty was out, and then replaced again within that year. We'll see how long this one lasts. If I had self insured I would have bought a good m/w and not the junk HighPoint they keep replacing it with. And then when I really needed it (a bent axel) they didn't cover it. I should have known better, I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything. Yup $50 a month in a dedicated account would be better.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Carl n Susan... I'm betting you are one of those exceptions I was talking about.

Further, I would not put only 100 month into maintenance, more like 150-200.... The upfront cost would be the starting balance of any such investment "repair fund" plus the ongoing estimated cost added to an RV note if you financed it and then add the aforementioned 150-200. Plus, most people should have an accessible emergency fund (minimum 3months of expenses)... JUST IN CASE. Then there is your deductible for each and every trip to the shop for service. Extended service plan or extended warranty plan aside, you will still have maintenance items that would not be worthwhile to let a dealer touch due to inconvenience factors. Also, talking about inconvenience, that is an unknown cost in lifestyle or actual RV use... more important to FTers than weekend warriors or those with a S&B home base near wherever they get their RV serviced under warranty or extended warranty. How do you calculate that cost?

Like I said, for most people self insuring is the most economical route but like anything else financial you have to know yourself and your financial situation to determine the best course. Congrats on your good luck with your choice, it certainly worked out for you on the money side of the coin.

my 2 cents.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #19
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We have had lots of issues with our 15 Montana. We bought the Good Sams service plan. The plan said it covered slide outs. We had an issue with our large slide. It cost 1200 to repair. Good Sams covered nothing. Same trip the bedroom cable slide gear box went out.Again Good Sam denied payment. We demanded a refund.. we got half our money back. Good sams position was, "WE don't pay for adjustments... what a waste of money..Stay away..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a very simple ESP, me.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote