Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
getting ready to go FT ?

Have a year be for wifie retires and then we sell stick house and go nomad, currently in NY don’t see this being best state to register & insure the Rig, LOOKING for some insight on best state to use for address, insurance & registration, will be picking your collective Brains for the next year for other issues.

LouB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We're full timers that have a Florida residency. No state tax and very inexpensive to register your truck and RV (we just renewed ours, $183.00 for truck and Montana).

These guys will take you through the entire process.

https://www.sbimailservice.com
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We escaped NY Taxes seven years ago for Florida. Still have Property in Dansville as a home base during the Summer.
We use the GoodSam Mail Forwarding Service in Crestview, FL as our official address.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
look at South Dakota along with Texas and Florida.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
IF a true fulltimer, cannot beat Dakota Post, Sioux Falls SD. Have used them for years.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Just a suggestion if you are serious about selling out and hitting the road full time. If you do not have the camper now, get it now and use it for a year. New or used unit, you'll have bugs to work out and customizations you'll want to make/add that fits your lifestyle. These things take about a year to unearth and get changed or fixed.

If you are purchasing new, you will probably have multiple issues that will require warranty work, or fixes you can do yourself which is much faster than waiting on warranty approvals. It's MUCH easier getting these repairs, upgrades, changes, comfort changes done on your camper while you still have a permanent dwelling to retreat to when the camper is in the shop.

These days, it seems, very few who purchase new campers have no issues at all .... very, very few.

I advise, purchasing the camper now. Take it out and go camping as much as possible over the next year. Camp in your own drive way. Sleep in it every night and test all the systems to the max over the next year. Again, if something breaks down, it's easier to fix in your own driveway than in a campground, or worse, sitting at a dealership repair shop waiting on warranty approvals.

Your's may be the exception (let's hope so), but it does take a year of constant, steady use to break in a new to you camper. You really need to experience it going through all 4 seasons of the year so you have no disappointments when on the road full time.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
Thank you all for the info. Really looking in to Dakota Post "looks good". Picking up Trailer in a couple weeks Keystone Montana 3781RL I am planning on using it for year + before hitting the road to work out bugs and equant us with the unit, That's a very good suggestion Thanks for reaffirming me my plan was a good one.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #8
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
We use My Home Address. Emery, SD. they will handle registration on TV, Dealer can handle first registration on 5vr.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #9
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
I forgot to mention SD tax is lower than most states. We use SD for mail more than tax saving's.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
... Thanks for reaffirming me my plan was a good one.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
We have been full time for about 7 years. We use "Your Best Address" in Sioux Falls, SD. We are happy with them and they the care of all license plates and things. The only thing I have to do in person is Drivers License.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #12
Larrysnyder

M.O.C. #28820
South Dakota Has a 4% excise tax and no state income tax. The folks at Americas Mailbox (search for Americas Mailbox on the web). Getting a drivers license and plates for your vehicles is very straightforward. Took me about 2 hours to get my license and truck plates.
Larrysnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #13
LouB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27978
Thanks

Have definitely decided on SD for my address, found our Hot Spot T-Mobile, Trailer ahs been in for service 2 times for 13 issues with only 4 resolved just found 2 more most are minor a couple others I fixed, had a washer/dryer installed, taking it in when parts are in, Thanks for all your input have a great memorial weekend.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Just a suggestion if you are serious about selling out and hitting the road full time. If you do not have the camper now, get it now and use it for a year. New or used unit, you'll have bugs to work out and customizations you'll want to make/add that fits your lifestyle. These things take about a year to unearth and get changed or fixed.

If you are purchasing new, you will probably have multiple issues that will require warranty work, or fixes you can do yourself which is much faster than waiting on warranty approvals. It's MUCH easier getting these repairs, upgrades, changes, comfort changes done on your camper while you still have a permanent dwelling to retreat to when the camper is in the shop.

These days, it seems, very few who purchase new campers have no issues at all .... very, very few.

I advise, purchasing the camper now. Take it out and go camping as much as possible over the next year. Camp in your own drive way. Sleep in it every night and test all the systems to the max over the next year. Again, if something breaks down, it's easier to fix in your own driveway than in a campground, or worse, sitting at a dealership repair shop waiting on warranty approvals.

Your's may be the exception (let's hope so), but it does take a year of constant, steady use to break in a new to you camper. You really need to experience it going through all 4 seasons of the year so you have no disappointments when on the road full time.
Dutchmansport is correct. We bought ours in Feb 2019 and it’s taken us till now to get it where we like living in it FT. It will take a while to fix all the problems and make changes that improves your living, setup, maintenance, etc.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
If I was in your shoes right now in my area I would go ahead and sell home and move into the Montana. People can't put a for sale sign in their yard now and get back in the house before their phone starts ringing. Bidding wars! We moved into ours a year before retiring and had everything all set to hit the road.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote