Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
Looking at Hitch for 2020 F350 Short Bed

Looking at Pullrite SuperSlide and like the auto turn slide action. Also looking at B W Companion Slider. Pulled and full timed in Alpha 5ver in early 2000's with slider hitch before purchasing S&B home. I can't decide what I want.
Now neighbor pulls in with Reese Goosebox in a new Jimmy short bed.

I like the idea of using ball and having room in bed. This 4th 5ver alway used fifth wheel hitch. What can you tell me about Goosebox? Any one using Goosebox?

We are full-time with work and have plenty of time to pull the trigger on itch. All suggestions excepted.

Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Do you want the insurance that you'll never hit the cab with your 5er? Then you need an auto-slider.

I don't own a Ford, but do own a 2020 Chevy. Chevy moved the ball location back in the 2020 models, but a 5er will still hit if turned too far, with something like a Goosebox. I don't know what the dimension is in a Ford, but from what I've read it will be less than the GM's, which means that it will hit sooner. That would require measurement to verify...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have a 15 and I had that problem but I adjusted my hitch back and no more problem. I have the B&W non slider. More often than not you will not need it. My problem came when I was making a U turn not backing into a spot. It was also off camber which didn't help.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I installed the Goosebox this year to replace the factory pin box. Previously I had the B&W Companion non-slider with the brackets setup in the rear most position for more tailgate clearance. The Goosebox neck is longer and gave me an additional 1-3/4". I have a long bed so I don't have to worry about cab clearance.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Anthony

M.O.C. #26525
After a lot if research and watching dozens of you tube videos I ultimately decided on the pullrite 2900 slider hitch. I have a 3500 ram short bed. I've seen plenty of damage to truck cabs when the manual sliders failed or people thought they would never need a slider hitch and opted for a regular hitch. I do really like the way the pullrite works, but hitching and unhitching you always have to be straight on, some see rhis as a problem, I dont. So yes I'm a big fan of the pullrite.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ten years of full timing and over 90,000 miles all with pullrites. In the winters we used to work for Fish and Wildlife and have put the rig in some weird places including making a u around a mobile home onto a space that was soo unlevel that we needed blocks under the jacks on one side. Never had an issue because we have the right hitch for the job.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
kshep

M.O.C. #27126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n Kelly View Post
Looking at Pullrite SuperSlide and like the auto turn slide action. Also looking at B W Companion Slider. Pulled and full timed in Alpha 5ver in early 2000's with slider hitch before purchasing S&B home. I can't decide what I want.
Now neighbor pulls in with Reese Goosebox in a new Jimmy short bed.

I like the idea of using ball and having room in bed. This 4th 5ver alway used fifth wheel hitch. What can you tell me about Goosebox? Any one using Goosebox?

We are full-time with work and have plenty of time to pull the trigger on itch. All suggestions excepted.
We have a 2020 F350 short bed ordered with the 5th wheel prep package. We purchased the B&W companion 20k manual slider hitch. We absolutely love it. Easy to remove and install when needed. Best to have a little help in positioning it but we'll worth it. Pulling a 2021 Montana 3121RL.
kshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have owned both hitches, the Pullrite Super slide, and the B&W Companion. Personally I would go with the B&W Companion Slider. I was very disappointed with the Pullrite. I have now went back to the Trailer Saver Air Ride, because of the 5th wheel we have, 3762BP, it floats on Air. Good Luck with your choice.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote