Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #41
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Keystone and Lippert both advise against using the level up system to raise wheels off the ground.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #42
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I use a 12 ton bottle jack right on the spring seats between the U bolts. Do not place it on the axle tube .

This/\, but really, level with the 6-pt jacks, then go manual and lower one side, then raise the other. I cannot discern any frame flex as the jacks on each side work together.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #43
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
"Do yourself a favor and check out" https://safejacks.com/

Great tip. Thanks!
BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #44
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I agree with Dieselguys' solution also. I have a former spring plate from some older vehicle(not sure what it was) that was passed on to me by my father. It cradles under both spring U bolts at the same time, and sets atop of an 8 ton bottle jack, it works perfect! The wheel only needs to be lifted less than an inch off of the ground so this works perfectly. It is also very stable. I don't have a pic of it, but when I get the beast out of storage I will try to remember to get one.
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #45
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I used to use a 12 ton bottle jack on the U-bolts. Didn’t need that size but it does have more lift height. Both of our Montys and the Mobile Suites have leveler systems so that is what I now use. But I still carry the bottle jack....
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #46
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
Not counting the plastic type of jack you roll the camper on.

If the trailer is leveled and i am not moving what jack can i use to lift my trailer and change a tire. Don't want to use the leveling system which can cause FRAME TWIST.

also how many tons ?

tried a hydraulic pump jack (not a bottle type) rated 2 1/4 tons which equal 27,000 lift...well that was a joke

any ideas ??
A 2T -4T Jack will be fine. Your not putting the entire weight on the jack.

Leveling system is not going to twist the frame any more than putting a different jack under it.

Use jacks stands.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #47
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Yesterday I pulled the calipers off ours for a set of new pads and used the 3 Ton trolley jack for one. I really had to lean on the handle in an awkward position. The other three got the tall 12 Ton bottle jack. One hand and not as many pumps as I had recalled from previous underside work. I also used a jackstand just in case - and yes, it went under the axle but with no weight on it since it was a safety backup.

Use whatever you want that's within the capacity to lift your trailer but this discussion and doing that little chore yesterday reaffirmed my decision to go with a 12 Ton.

$18 for a 4 Ton

$26 for an 8 Ton
$30 for a 12 Ton
https://harborfreight.com/automotive...tle-jacks.html

Then there are those coupons which make them even less
https://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html

Using the self leveling feature is probably OK in a safe, level place like your driveway but alongside the road, changing a flat may not be and possibly why Lippert issued a CYA
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #48
Buzz19766
Established Member

M.O.C. #26595
I carry a 20ton bottle jack. It's heavy but, it will lift my truck also if needed to change a rear dual while still connected to my 3810ms.
Buzz19766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #49
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Right on. Love the hydraulics
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #50
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
That what i was telling you guys all along..while a smaller bottle jack might work..when you are laying down the increase TON capacity makes life easier.

FOOTNOTE---- had to level my trailer at home where the road slanted for water run off....my ELECTRIC leveler started to raise the tires off the ground
( the slant was too much) and then stopped and the ERROR beep went off and the system shut down...had to RE-PARK all six levelers to recalibrate.

So while some of you guys use your lifts to change tires , I think a distinction has to be made weather your are Hydraulic or Electric .

The Hydraulics are more powerful and allow you to completely lift while the electrics may not....
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #51
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
I agree with Dieselguys' solution also. I have a former spring plate from some older vehicle(not sure what it was) that was passed on to me by my father. It cradles under both spring U bolts at the same time, and sets atop of an 8 ton bottle jack, it works perfect! The wheel only needs to be lifted less than an inch off of the ground so this works perfectly. It is also very stable. I don't have a pic of it, but when I get the beast out of storage I will try to remember to get one.
please post a pic of the spring plate.. i am going to build one and i want to see all my options....

does it look like this....and does anyone know the axle diameter of the montana High country 385br
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-spring plate 3 inch.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	7650  
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote