Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Re-evaluating for 08/09 winter

We normally leave for the South (Del Rio Texas) about Oct. 15th & return to Onalaska, WI. about April 1st. We are "Winter Texans".
Just thought u might find the following interesting.
Winter 07-08 traveled 7400 miles (had a side trip to Arizona);
$2,206.61 for diesel (652.32 gal.) lowest 3.09 gal, highest 3.96 gal;
$1,951.73 in park fees; $228.48 elec.; $199.53 propane.
Winter 06-07 traveled 6300 miles (2 side trips to El Paso) $1,244.30 diesel; $$1576.78 in park fees; $$233.32 elec.; $$257.95 propane.
Winter 05-06 traveled 4554 miles; $861.78 diesel; $$1451.78 camp fees; $293.25 elec.; $114.75 propane.
Winter 04-05 (our first year with the Monty) traveled 5462 miles; $1214.56 diesel; $1541.23 camp feels, $129.94 elec.; $129.94 propane.
This is just food for thought...won't even give u totals for the winters; they can make one cry...makes one wish for the "good old days". lol

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks for sharing. That gives us an idea what to expect and proves what we know, things are getting more expensive.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for posting. We will be (hopefully) retiring on May 29, 2013. A lot can change by then, but we'll have an idea of what to expect as we budget.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Gosh, what a comparison and food for thought. I was hoping to go south this next winter after a summer in Montana.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
That info is a good case for finding a nice place and leasing a spot for the year, until the fuel charges settle down. I had a couple lease my RGV site for the whole year and it was cheaper than hauling the 5th wheel back to wisconsin and hauling it back. I charged storage rates for 7 months and regular rates for the 5 months during the winter/spring. something to think about until things like I said get settled down. Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't think things will ever "settle down" like we once knew it. The world economy has changed drastically in the past 5 years ... it's never going backwards to what once was. Our Treasury and overseas banks can pump BILLIONS into our failing economy ... it effects the market positively for a whopping 2 days. Just wait till the Middle East unites behind Iran ... our oil spigot will virtually shut off ... it'll take another war to break that loose. By the way ... guess whose supplying Iran with most all her war toys ... Russia. Sorry about the hijack ... the "settle down" just tripped my trigger.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are Winter Texans also, and did a very similar things in the past but didn't keep up with the numbers. Syplace, Thanks for a great post and it was very interesting, the fuel numbers are mind numbing. We sold Truck and 5th wheel this past Nov. Well we replaced the Truck the next day but it took just one winter, and we got another 5th wheel in Feb. No more cold weather for us, however we are going to Gulf Shores or Florida this Dec for two months if there is any Diesel left. We want be Full timing in the near future but we will take several trips during the year and winter someplace warm. Thank again for the post, very interesting. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 AM   #8
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
This time last year we made a trip from Texas to the West Coast. Our fuel(diesel) costs were right at $855 for the round trip. If we made the same trip this year, our fuel costs would be about $1255 an increase of $400. While I would like to have the $400 in my pocket, in reality, that is not enough to keep us from making a 38 day rv excursion. We probably won't make as many trips per year now, but will try to extend our stays when we do travel to cut back on fuel costs. We've pretty well decided that we will continue to rv as long as we can; we don't want to look back when perhaps our health or other situations don't allow us to travel and wish that we had spent the extra $ for fuel to travel and enjoy the rv life!
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ongoing evaluation is something we do all the time as I am sure most do.We do have a planned budget and a travel plan for the year and we can make changes as financial conditions require.That we made some changes now based on energy cost does not mean that they can not be reinstated should conditions improve. If there is a plan and budget one can change or modify as needed. Helen working for the Mouse has put many dollars back in the travel account.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
David & Audra, I agree with you. That window to travel at our age in not very wide. Sooner or later we will have health problems or won't want to pull that big unit anymore. I am like you I don't want to look back and say, "I wish I had done that."
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Thanks for the information even if some was not pleasent to read nor write. As Mary Elizabetn and I get closer to retiring this information is so valuable with changing/making plans. Thanks Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #12
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I woke up Jan 18, 2007 with a severe pain in my left shoulder/back. Long story short, it was my neck. One of my disks was pushing on the spinal cord and 4 days later I was partially paralyzed in my left arm. Surgery on Feb 23 to fuse 4 vertebrae in my neck saved me from a future in a wheelchair. Thank you Jesus. I never had a warning that I noticed prior to that. My life now is different. No heavy lifting, etc. What I am saying is, you never know when life will take a sudden turn. If you have the means and desire to do something...DO IT!! I can't wait to begin our fulltime adventure. We plan and talk about it everyday. I am not going to worry about IF and HOW. BTW, my left arm is fine, just weaker. God is good, isn't he?!?!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Diesel is going down daily from .05 to 10 cents a gal . it is now at $2.93 and i expect it to go at least 20 cents more down ,, we will see ,that is southwest fl in bonita springs, fl ... sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace

We normally leave for the South (Del Rio Texas) about Oct. 15th & return to Onalaska, WI. about April 1st. We are "Winter Texans".
Just thought u might find the following interesting.
Winter 07-08 traveled 7400 miles (had a side trip to Arizona);
$2,206.61 for diesel (652.32 gal.) lowest 3.09 gal, highest 3.96 gal;
$1,951.73 in park fees; $228.48 elec.; $199.53 propane.
Winter 06-07 traveled 6300 miles (2 side trips to El Paso) $1,244.30 diesel; $$1576.78 in park fees; $$233.32 elec.; $$257.95 propane.
Winter 05-06 traveled 4554 miles; $861.78 diesel; $$1451.78 camp fees; $293.25 elec.; $114.75 propane.
Winter 04-05 (our first year with the Monty) traveled 5462 miles; $1214.56 diesel; $1541.23 camp feels, $129.94 elec.; $129.94 propane.
This is just food for thought...won't even give u totals for the winters; they can make one cry...makes one wish for the "good old days". lol
And what would you have spent if you had stayed in WI? I ran similar numbers but then when I factored in wood and heating oil I didn't buy, miles I would have driven ( I drove about 1600 miles a month when I was home) electric I didn't pay plus cheaper food and and fuel when you get out of the northeast, I found I about broke even with what I would have spent if I had stayed home.

JMHO
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Things change.we have found that with the economy in its present state everything is less expensive this winter. Gas is at the level it was three winters ago in Arizona. Diesel fuel is much lower than last year . Our site rent is less money. Propane has not increased at all. We planned this winter in Florida budget 6 months ago and we are now way, way under budget. You just never know what to expect. Helen is scheduled 3 days a week at Disney. That alone will pay for 3/4 of our Florida stay. If I can get hired and do the same we will make a profit.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Dave and I figure it will cost us between $3000 and $3500 a month to go fulltime. That's with food, insurance, diesel, campgrounds, etc. Does it sound like we are in the ballpark? We currently have Thousand Trails, RPI and Escapees.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The important thing is that folks are thinking and planning a budget. proposed budgets tend to be on the high side and along the way you will learn to adjust. If you have planned and have a buget you can adjust..if you do not you can only react.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Syplace, We are 1000 Trails also and trying to stay in them as much as possible. We really enjoy that style of camping, although some of the preserves are a little dated, we still like the lifestyle. Having said this, you know that staying at the TT parks depends on where you go as their are few preserves left and usually in "out of the way" locations. We find we are spending a little more than your projections, but I think it is possible, depending on your SET expenses, for example, we did not pay cash for our Montana nor our '08 truck. We also have life insurance, DirectTV, Verizon internet and phones, car insurance, trailer insurance. Fortunately our health insurance is Govt and not an expense. We also have RPI, but that has not worked real well for us yet. We are also Good Sams, Escapees, Passport America and Enjoy America. We also have access to the Military Fam Camps. This helps doubly as we get lodging cheap and on base shopping priveleges. I think it beneficial to belong to as many clubs as possible, keeping in mind you have to utilize them to "make your money back". We have stayed in all but the Escapees parks yet, but will utilize them this next year for sure.....

By the time you go fulltime, a lot can change, as you are aware. We did budget $30. a night for CG's but over the last 18 months we have averaged about $19. a night, that helps alot. We probably have less dining expenses as we cook alot at home. Eating out all the time can eat up a lot of your budget. We view our Montana as our home now and we do in it what we did in our stick home. Can't remember the last time we called for Pizza delivery.....

Sightseeing expenses can mount up quickly also. We do look for special rates and coupons whenever we get into a new area. We have never used many coupons before but find every little bit helps when it comes to sightseeing. They can mount up very quickly so we try and limit ourselves somewhat. Although our goal was to see as much of America as we could, we just do it a little slower than some.

You really can't beat this lifestyle for seeing this wonderful country of ours.

I hope this helps in some small way. Be safe and enjoy yourselves!!!!

BTW: We don't have a "hard" budget. Some do and that's fine for them. We just watch what we're spending. We are not frugal nor do we have to have everything either. We don't do fancy either. In fact the fanciest pair of pants I have is a pair of Levis Dockers (my church clothes)....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #19
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also try to budget our trips. years ago we bought into 1000 trails and Outdoor world membership campgrounds. now their both owned by Equity. Our annual dues are frozen so we can budget that cost. We try to stay in those campgrounds when we go to florida as much as possible along with staying at passport America discount campgrounds while we travel between the membership campgrounds. Yes we have to move every so often, but we meet the same friends at the next campgrounds as they move too. After the initial cost (purchased secondhand), $800.oo maint fees is all we pay per season. That includes electricity. We considered buying a lot, but the costs were too high for us as were getting up in the ages and plan on doing this for maybe just 10 more years. Since both have campgrounds here in Virginia, we use them when we camp in the summer. And since were retired military, we occasionally use the Mil Campgrounds when available. I know membership campgrounds are not for everyone and a lot of our friends own their own lots in our GS camping club. But this is one way to keep the cost down.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This is a timely and excellent thread. The Wife and I start to retire in 2009. I start off in May and she follows me in July. For the past several years we have been reevaluating how we spend our $$$. We have made many significant changes that hopefully will allow us to enter this brave new world of retirement. We are learning how to do more with less, we actually enjoy the challenge. I am sure this will help us with our RV lifestyle. Like someone said earlier there is a lot of this great country to see. Another thing, after working in health care for almost 37 years, I can tell you that this life is not a practice run for the next. This is all you get. So you need to make the most of each day and really appreciate life. All of the ideas expressed here combined together will help all of us succeed with what ever goals we have set out for ourselves.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote