Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
RV Ranch, just South of Fort Worth...tires.....

So, we pull into our space and start hooking up here in the nice RV Ranch and I give Sue the coiled water hose, she cocked her head and said we have a tire leaking air. Oh boy, I said which one? (I can't hear those types of sounds, squeaks, air hisses)
She said "Well theres the problem!" a nice shiny nail.....
We called Good Sam after I changed the tire and mounted the spare, that had 40 pounds of air in it. I talked with the moron at Good Sam's, he wanted 15 minutes of information, I grew impatient after he asked who made the Montana, and other stupid questions that were on his computer screen form. I told him I just wanted someone to repair my tire, I told him I already had it off for them. He then said, well we can't help you then, we can only change the tire, not repair it. So I hung up on him, and took the tire to Fort Worth, or some town close to there, got it fixed for free at some chain tire store. Gave the service writer $5.00 and the changer guy $5.00. No charge for changing flats, nice P.R. move. Tires Plus, I think.
Got the spare aired up to 80#, put back on the fixed flat.
Glad she heard the hiss.
Rich and I put ratcheting straps on our spare tires so they would not fall down if the tinny cheap tire holder fails, worked super, but Rich, I would crawl under there and WD-40 it. And check the air in your spare, it will be low.
Nice in Burleson, Texas y'all come on down!
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
OZZ: You really need a Pressure Pro System (jump in here Rich and give me a amen). It's a real man gadget. I even have them on my spares.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ozz, we stay at RV Ranch when visiting on son and family in Fort Worth. It's a very nice campground with lots of good restaurants in the area. Convenient to those heading south on I-35.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Flats are never fun...better when parked in campsite. It really makes one angry to hear a response to the extra coverage we think we are paying for to find it comes up short, especially when we did them a favor....argh, feel your anger.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, with the 100 stupid questions he asked, one was what kind of engine I had in my Montana....
I should have told him that I would put the spare back on, just get the tire guy here. I wanted to give him the flat, take it back to the shop, and I would pick it up and pay for the repair. I had no idea where to take it. I must have driven 30 miles to find an open tire shop. You always hate to hit the road with a flat spare.
Noneck, it was a breeze changing the tire, I have an electric impact hammer, I pulled the Monte's front wheel up on a plastic incline wedge, then slid the bottle jack under the u-bolts on the Axel, 4 pumps and it was up in the air....Boda-bing.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozz, it sounds like you got ahold of a real goober, and he may may be wrong about Good Sam not paying to repair the flat. I just became one of the guys on their vendor list, and have been called for service a couple of times already. On one we repaired a flat, the other needed a new tire. The one that needed the tire didn't know if the tire was covered or not, so he paid for it, but Good Sam paid for the other guys flat repair.

I had an experience with Ford Roadside Service a couple of weeks ago, that had me wanting to reach through the phone and choke the stuff out of the lady on the other end. My 2008 service truck killed over out in the country because of a burnt up exhaust sensor, so I was in need of a tow truck. After giving her highway numbers, and mileage to the middle of nowhere, she asks " Mr. Bussey, what is the exact physical address your truck is located ?". I answered, "3053 Cow Pasture Blvd. in Prairy Dog Town, N.M.................Ma'am, it's out in the country, there is no physical address. After another 5 minutes of questions, and holding, she tells me a tow tyruck will be there from San Jon, N.M. within 3 hours. I asked her why she would call a tow company 75 miles from me, when the biggest one for 100 miles is only 23 miles from me. Her answer, "I'm sorry sir, that's the best I can do". I told her to cancel the whole thing, and called the tow company myself. The Ford dealer in Clovis turned the tow bill in with their warranty claim.

I guess this is something we all have to put up with, but it sure makes it hard to keep the blood pressure down.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Ozz

I carry a portable air generator that I got from Lowes. It operates on both AC and from my cigarette lighter. I've had difficulty getting air on the road anymore, and it lets me check the air pressure when the tires are cold. At your suggestion, I need to double check the spare.

By the way, when do you hit San Antonio.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We just pulled into Austin, are at the Lonestar RV resort, hoping I can get the Chief's game.....
Going to call Driftwood Gal soon, we may get together tomorrow.
Will be around San Antonio towards the end of the week. Love it there.