Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 03:47 AM   #1
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Our Location

We are in Yuma Lakes RV resort (their words not ours) We will be here until the llth. of Dec. Then a week in Winterhavin CA. Then we go into Mexico for a month or so. Look us up. Treecounter

Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:15 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Treecounter, we'll be a very long ways from you but we really would like to hear about your experiences in Mexico.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Treecounter,
Sounds like you're having a great time. Tell us about the Mexico trip please. We're thinking of going that way around the first of Feb. or so. What paperwork, if any, does one have to have to take the 5er into MX? Where in MX will you be going? We're thinking of Puerto Penasco or San Felipe..

Thanks,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Hey HamRad,
We are going to San Felipe over the Holidays----have a week off from work. There is an "exempt" zone in the northern part of Sonora (Puerto Penasco) that eliminates a lot of paperwork on your part. Still have to get the tourist permit (20 bucks for 180 days)if you are travelling further than 60 miles (I think) or longer than 72 hours (I'm sure of this one), insurance and all that neat stuff. IF you have a loan against either your truck of RV, make sure you get an authorization note from your lender stating that you can take your vehicle(s) into Mexico with the inclusive dates (our credit union does two letters a year for us---each one good for 6 months). If you don't have that letter and gosh forbid, you get in an accident, then your mexican insurance is void. Travelling to San Felipe has the same regulations as the rest of Baja---its the "mainland" that has different regs. Look on-line for any of the Mexican Insurance Companies (Mexinsur, Segura etc.) and they have all the info & regulations you need. If you need any more info, let me know---we travel into Baja on fishing trips, about 6-8 times per year.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
HamRad:
http://www.mexadventure.com/
http://www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com/
http://www.bajabound.com/

...hope these help you out.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thomas,
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. Do you know of any particular RV parks in either one of the places listed above?

HamRad
Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
HamRad:
Playa Bonita is OK---there are several right along the beach and most are comparable to each other (Puerto Penasco). Looks like the website for San Felipe Marina & RV Resort is down at the moment---nice place. There are several down in that area ranging from very nice to primative. I'm not sure the deal on El Dorado Ranch----I think they still have RV facilities available without having to be a member. I have a colleague of mine who has a house in San Felipe who said The Ranch is changing their marketing strategies to become more "open". We've stayed @ both of the ones I mentioned (not El Dorado)---a matter of fact on the SFM site, one of the 5ers was a Montana---not ours however.

http://www.rockypointguide.com/playarv.html
Old 11-15-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
HamRad,
The San Felipe Marina & RV site is back up. Check out this link of the Montana down there:
http://www.sanfelipemarinaresort.com.mx/
Old 11-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We will be just 80 miles (by road) into Mexico. A small fishing village "El Golfo". We stay in a "membership" park. I think it may be an RPI park. It was C to C but no longer. I Belongs to Colorado River Adventures. They have seven parks most are tied to C to C, Rpi and Thousand Trails. Not much to do there except park activities. If you have a four wheeler there is dune riding and long beach rides. Up to forty miles. Twenty miles South there is an off shore reef and good fishing if you have a boat. Clam digging is fair. The clams are the best we ever had. They have a clam feed every Wed. $1.50 a dozen. The restaurants in town are not very good. If you are a first time visitor to Mexico go to Puerto Panasco. They have very nice parks there. We spent two weeks there last year and it was $115. a week with full hook ups. Drinking water is available and cheap. Use it for cooking. With all the restaurants in town there is no need to cook dinner. Be sure and visit the chicken Bar B Q on the main road going into town. There is so much shopping there you might take the card away from the wife. Others have given you good advice about papers and insurance. Treecounter
Old 11-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #10
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
All,
Please check the Mexican Fishing Regulations. There is no license required if fishing from shore. You must have a valid license for fishing from a boat. The taking of shellfish (any non-finned fish to be exact) including lobster by non-Mexican nationals is against the law. To be safe, buy your clams, mussels, shrimp, lobster etc. from a national. I know it knocks down some of the fun, but the Boys from PESCA & the local POLICIA can really mess with your vacation. You will need a vessel permit for kayaks & inflatable boats along with "regular" boats if operating in Mexican waters. Don't mean to preach, but don't forget---its a different country with different laws. On the upside, we love Mexico & all the neat stuff they have down there; its so relaxing and the folks are really friendly. On a sidebar---they just released the 1,000 Peso note----about the same value as our Hundred---a bit less depending on the daily quote.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
tweir,
Thanks Thomas for all the info. It really helps in making our plans. Also good info about the fishing regs.... Especially informative considering we'll be taking a boat with us.... actually our friends will be bringing the boat.... HamRad
Old 12-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We arrived safely in Santa Clara De Golfo at 12:15 PM. I think if we could have put out our awnings the wind would have pushed us down here. No problems at the border. The inspector wanted to know if we had alcohol. Showed him the wine rack with to much wine in it. It also had a bottle of "Kahlua" he said "thats good stuff. Go ahead". We will be here six weeks.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to hear you had a safe trip, Treecounter. For some reason, we always seem to be going INTO the wind, not with it. Hope you have an enjoyable six weeks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote